The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1780m=5840ft +)

Re: The Ultimate FC40 Mod OSD/2cams/mobile,LapTop FPV & more

Form the videos you posted. Even tho the fc40 camrea takes pretty good video as long as its not zoomed in more then 2x
the AR's fpv on your screen looks like it has WAY better on screen resolution over the wifi then the FC40 camera app has and looks less choppy to.

J.James said:
Form the videos you posted. Even tho the fc40 camrea takes pretty good video as long as its not zoomed in more then 2x
the AR's fpv on your screen looks like it has WAY better on screen resolution over the wifi then the FC40 camera app has and looks less choppy to.

true the AR's FPV is alot better and am working on a little gimbal to attach the AR HD cam to and remove the FC40 cam .

garrock said:
Curious how this mod has turned out.

Hey garrock ,

happy to see ya here :)

the mod turned out great , i took the FC40 this afternoon for a quick test at the park front of my house and it was great , a bit windy and shaky but the mod preformed as it should .

next weekend am gonna mount the board on a new permanent plate and probably add a booster and external antenna to it . plus a small isolated servo gimbal to carry both the Ar cam and the FC cam .

i've added a new video to the first post , check it out .

btw. since the board is operating without motors i had to tweak the XML of the (ArDrone Flight Pro app) to hide the (emergency / motors) error and the msg is gone so i couldn't be happier :mrgreen:

IIVII

IIVII said:
... probably add a booster and external antenna to it ...
I watched the video; a clever mod !

If you decide to install an antenna mod on the ARD2 Main Board, I will donate a Wheel Antenna Kit and also install the connector for free too. Just send your MB to me. USPS is two days each way.

Hey Garrock,

is it me, or does the battery indicator seem a ton more responsive then when used with the drone itself?

garrock said:
You'd think the battery indicator would show the battery lasting a whole lot longer.

Well, it seemed sporadic, like it was working on averages (when he speeds up to ascend and slows down to decend).

I'm also assuming he started with a used battery (not fully charged).

But when compared to the drone, I always remember seeing, 100% > 80 > 50 > 30
You think you would have a good charge, then all of a sudden 50% could go to 20% lol

garrock said:
If you decide to install an antenna mod on the ARD2 Main Board, I will donate a Wheel Antenna Kit and also install the connector for free too. Just send your MB to me. USPS is two days each way.

Thanks garrock i really appreciate the offer , but i'm all set i already have all the parts needed for the board boost .

i can use ur help with something else though . :) . i noticed that u and the Developers of (AR.Pro & ArDrone Flight Pro) have good communications throughout the threads on the other forum , so would you pls ask them if it's possible to get the altimeter reading from the V2 board without take off . i've tried to contact the AR.Pro Dev on the other forum but i haven't heard from him , so hopefully they'll answer u .

Thanks ,
IIVII

dragonash said:
Hey Garrock,

is it me, or does the battery indicator seem a ton more responsive then when used with the drone itself?

that is true ,i noticed that too for example if the indicator shows %60 while havering then i hit full throttle i can see the indicator dropping 59-58-57-56 ,but as soon as i ease off the throttle n let it hover it rises up again to 56-57-58-59 etc . so somehow the indicator is more sensitive to the point where it's shown the battery status under different current load , maybe because the board has a lot less going on with my setup . no motors no remote commands it's basicly idling .

btw. the last 2 mins of the vid were the end of today's test .. the batt was %50 at take off .

IIVII ... I can't make out where you are tying in the ARD Main Board power to the Phantom power.
The Phantom is drawing a lot of Amps from the battery meaning even a power lead will show a voltage drop.

Tap in as close as possible to the Phantom battery.

garrock said:
IIVII ... I can't make out where you are tying in the ARD Main Board power to the Phantom power.
The Phantom is drawing a lot of Amps from the battery meaning even a power lead will show a voltage drop.

Tap in as close as possible to the Phantom battery.

Garrock the AR board is gettin' power from the Auxiliary cable (phantom's front right leg) . am plannin' to solder couple new extensions with thicker wires directly to where the batt meets the phantom board .

dragonash said:
whats the status on this project?

sorry am outa town on a biz trip , so my lil project is put on hold till am back , hopefully the amp/booster i've ordered for the ArDrone antenna will be here by then .

IIVII said:
dragonash said:

sorry am outa town on a biz trip , so my lil project is put on hold till am back , hopefully the amp/booster i've ordered for the ArDrone antenna will be here by then .

Here are a few questions (and maybe Garrock can answer them too)

Will the main board work while not connected to the nav board in this configuration?
If not, can you remove the sonar to reduce weight?

What does the navboard contribute to the OSD?

I would like to sticky tape the drone camera right next to the lens of the gopro. "cheap fpv setup using wifi".
That way when I line up shots, it's as close as possible - also pan and tilt works.

dragonash said:
IIVII said:
dragonash said:

Here are a few questions (and maybe Garrock can answer them too)

Will the main board work while not connected to the nav board in this configuration?
If not, can you remove the sonar to reduce weight?

What does the navboard contribute to the OSD?

I would like to sticky tape the drone camera right next to the lens of the gopro. "cheap fpv setup using wifi".
That way when I line up shots, it's as close as possible - also pan and tilt works.

i haven't tried the mainboard without the nav board , but if weight is ur main concern go with the V1.0 its cheaper lighter and a lot easier to attache .

excellent idea. I didnt know the v1 went for so cheap.

So let me ask you. How is the wifi range with the v1 mainboard?
Better yet, how is it while only using a wifi extender and not a modified antenna?

I'm thinking that since the mainboard is no longer concealed in the hull, there would be a stronger signal. And the FC40 camera gets great range when a repeater is added to the mix. So I'm expecting similar.

IIVII said:
unlike the Ar.drone v1 board .. the apps with Ar.Drone v2 board won't show altitude without an actual (launch)

Also, bringing this up from the 2nd page as I just re-read it and noticed what you said.
Am I to understand that the main board from the v1 WILL tell us altitude without a real "launch" ?

So far, I'm planning out how to place this all together.
Once my gimbal comes, it will be using the aux cable to power it. So the aux cable is not an option to power the mainboard.

If I get an adapter (or cut the ARD power cable and solder a new connector on it), would I be able to plug it into the phantom batteries balance plug?

One more thing. How can I edit the xml on the ardfp app? I have it from when I used to use it, but dont know a thing about editing it. Or maybe you can make a backup of yours and host it on a file website or something? :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik