The infamous lose or week signal, max range 50m FW update bugs?

Reaction score
Greeting all. I'll be as descriptive as i can give you as much info as i can.

So, I along with others i see are having issues with there DJI Phantoms not getting above a set height. some people are reporting 150m 200m.
For me i cant even get above the height of my house before the RTH kicks in and wants to land the craft.

Just a little back ground info about this drone (Phantom 3 Standard) :
I acquired this drone for Free!! No ITs not stolen. I was clearing out a house for a home owner who rents out homes and the tenant left, left every thing in the house and the home owner said i can keep any thing i find of use and bin the the rest. And as luck would have it i come across the drone, The kids are going Nuts at the moment with this thing..
After inspecting the drone at home i noticed that one of the blades was damaged, so iv replaced that after fining some blade in the original box along with the tool to help remove the blades.

what Iv done so fare from day 1 of acquiring it:
  • Charged every thing, RC, drone, downloaded the DJI Go app and turning every thing on for the 1st time i was promoted with an update Firmware v01.09.0200. I done that right away before even flying the thing.
  • Done a test flight, that was a success. confirmed to my self that every thing is looking like it working as it should.
  • while at the testing area i though i would give it a altitude test to see if i could get above the tree line where i was. The trees are no bigger then say 10-15m or so.
  • At that height a message pops up on the DJI Go app saying lose/ week signal. Then hear a voice say "returning home"
I get home start looking in to whats going on,as I know and have see these drones go way out in the distance from Vids iv seen on YT.

since that 1st flight what iv done.

• Downgraded the FW to v1.05.7 manualy
  • Updated the FW bk to v1.09.02 from the DJI App
  • downgraded bk to v1.07.9 from the DJI App
  • Downloaded the FW v1.09.2 manual
  • checked the log reports on the Text file you get on the SD card all saying success.
  • read a post on here saying to log out of DJI GO app and log back in as it rests this 50m hight restriction
  • flowed some instructions on Youtube for how to reconnect the RC to the drone, re calibrate the compass/gps
Now i'm here looking for any kind of info, maybe im missing some thing or just doing it wrong.
I see a post on here of people taking about FTP and setting the UK file/code to UK OK. but that kind of thing is way out my league. On the same thread there are some vids or people taking the drone apart to do some soldering work on the Circuit broad.

if any one can help or have any suggestions it would be much appreciated

Last edited:
My FW results if this helps

Attachments

• P3C_FW_RESULT_AB#2.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 259
A short Clip of whats going on with this thing..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK, just an Update.
I have been testing the Drone a little more to day.

with these settings.
RTH Altitude 100m
Max Altitude 120m
Max flight Distance 120

My thought were, that if i did not input the information in to the DJI Go App to tell the drone the height and distance I wanted to fly it would just, by default. Limit the drone to 20m range and cut out the signal and RTH would take over and bring the drone bk, witch it did but some thing interesting happened this time!!!

Rather then just RTH. It increased in altitude to 100m then it started moving to where it 1st took off.

So i'm started to get the impression that the FW update is fine, the drone is fine but its the RC that is at fault..

So before i send it in to these guys Heliguy - Quadcopters, Drones and Training - DJI UK Dealer
How do I update the FW on just the the RC and how do I check the FW on the RC is uptodate since i done the update from the DJI Go app?

Are you always checking this by flying directly overhead as in the video you posted?

Are you always checking this by flying directly overhead as in the video you posted?
im flying is all directions possible. fly straight up was just to get the signal loss to show up on the app.

Reactions: Oso
Just an Update:

looks like I could be sending in the drone to these guys Heliguy - Quadcopters, Drones and Training - DJI UK Dealer
As every thing I have tried is just producing the same result.
It could set me back £175.
I will sleep on it before I make a decision as to whether its worth it or not. Up to now the drone has cost me nothing. So I could look at it as being a £175 purchase.

I'll keep this post updated with any results if i go ahead with this.

Greeting all. I'll be as descriptive as i can give you as much info as i can.

So, I along with others i see are having issues with there DJI Phantoms not getting above a set height. some people are reporting 150m 200m.
For me i cant even get above the height of my house before the RTH kicks in and wants to land the craft.

Just a little back ground info about this drone (Phantom 3 Standard) :
I acquired this drone for Free!! No ITs not stolen. I was clearing out a house for a home owner who rents out homes and the tenant left, left every thing in the house and the home owner said i can keep any thing i find of use and bin the the rest. And as luck would have it i come across the drone, The kids are going Nuts at the moment with this thing..
After inspecting the drone at home i noticed that one of the blades was damaged, so iv replaced that after fining some blade in the original box along with the tool to help remove the blades.

what Iv done so fare from day 1 of acquiring it:
  • Charged every thing, RC, drone, downloaded the DJI Go app and turning every thing on for the 1st time i was promoted with an update Firmware v01.09.0200. I done that right away before even flying the thing.
  • Done a test flight, that was a success. confirmed to my self that every thing is looking like it working as it should.
  • while at the testing area i though i would give it a altitude test to see if i could get above the tree line where i was. The trees are no bigger then say 10-15m or so.
  • At that height a message pops up on the DJI Go app saying lose/ week signal. Then hear a voice say "returning home"
I get home start looking in to whats going on,as I know and have see these drones go way out in the distance from Vids iv seen on YT.

since that 1st flight what iv done.

• Downgraded the FW to v1.05.7 manualy
  • Updated the FW bk to v1.09.02 from the DJI App
  • downgraded bk to v1.07.9 from the DJI App
  • Downloaded the FW v1.09.2 manual
  • checked the log reports on the Text file you get on the SD card all saying success.
  • read a post on here saying to log out of DJI GO app and log back in as it rests this 50m hight restriction
  • flowed some instructions on Youtube for how to reconnect the RC to the drone, re calibrate the compass/gps
Now i'm here looking for any kind of info, maybe im missing some thing or just doing it wrong.
I see a post on here of people taking about FTP and setting the UK file/code to UK OK. but that kind of thing is way out my league. On the same thread there are some vids or people taking the drone apart to do some soldering work on the Circuit broad.

if any one can help or have any suggestions it would be much appreciated
Are you,by chance, in beginners mode?

Well that sucks, have they told you whats wrong?

Rod

Reactions: stu2b2
Well that sucks, have they told you whats wrong?

Rod
No, just that its a fault with the RC and they have to replace the circuit board. And because its a Phantom 3 S they no longer have the parts and it has to go to DJI for the repair.

No, just that its a fault with the RC and they have to replace the circuit board. And because its a Phantom 3 S they no longer have the parts and it has to go to DJI for the repair.

Ok, that really sucks!
This has been going on since August 3rd?
And the information that you have or have shared appears that you could have bought a new or use RC?

Rod

Ok, that really sucks!
This has been going on since August 3rd?
And the information that you have or have shared appears that you could have bought a new or use RC?

Rod
I tried to look for a used RC but could not find 1 any where. Plus buying a used RC there is nothing to say that the fault wont happen to the replacement of a used one.
I should have my drone back any time soon now.

Reactions: RodPad
I now have the drone back.
I'll perform a test flight today and hopefully it should fly more then 50 yards away from the RC before the "lose or weak signal" starts playing up.

I missed your reply, its Thursday, well?

Rod

So, I took it out for a little test flight, and it seams like its has been fixed!!!

I can get above the height of the house with eases. Although it is slightly intermittent, however the signal comes right back and the camera does move up and down with the intermittent signal. Return To Home does not take over like it did before. I will test it more once i get to much better open area.

The height, according to the DJI Go app displayed 112m. where as before I was "NO WHERE NEAR THAT"

What I got for my £185

DJI REPAIR £141.67
Repaired the RC/mother board, replaced the S1 switch as that had snapped from me dropping the RC.
Replaced the outer shell Top/Bottom
Serviced the 4 propeller motors.

RMA POSTAGE £12.50

+ VAT £30.83

Reactions: RodPad
Yeah I started having the same issue. Even replaced the controller didn't help. I know they are barely supporting the P3S any longer but they need to address these issues. Makes me not want to buy another DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.