thanks...reading this forum saved my butt....because I knew atti mode

Reaction score
Long story short. New pilot over the holidays. Have 10 very good flights on my P3 Standard.

Went out in the front of the house tonight to fly, same place I have flown last 3 nights. Was doing compass calibration, and everything was good.

Did auto take off. Hovered for 10 seconds. Checked controls. Gained altitude and at 30 feet high and 20 feet away, I got compass error. Next thing I knew, my P3 is drifting forward @ 15mph or so.

I gained altitude to make sure I would clear any trees that may or may not come around. @ 100 feet high, I let go of the sticks. Still had 15mph drift.

While I still had a good connection to the P3, I switched to atti mode via the switch. By this time I was pretty far out, at night maybe 400 feet, drift slowed to 5mph, but now a different direction because of wind. I focussed on the red lights. Got my orientation and worked my way back to my location.

Was able to drop down and come in for a safe manual landing. Shut it down and let my heart rate come down.

in hind sight, i did something dumb. just before i began calibrating the compass, my neighbor pulled up in her minivan, and was talking to me about random stuff. 4 feet from me and the drone. But I continued to calibrate. I am almost certain now, her minivan is what caused my problem.

But, thanks to this forum. My 1st 2 or 3 flights included quite a bit of atti time so i knew how to control the P3 when GPS goes away. I will go back into an open field, get a good calibration, and not do a new calibration unless needed.

Thanks agin.

Just use the map to fly back home with the sticks, or just hit the RTH. At least you got it back safe[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj