texture of new motors

jtm

Reaction score
guys, just got the P3P (upgraded version)... I'm a bit OCD and but I noticed that 3 motors of out 4 have a rather smooth/shiny texture.... and 1 has a slightly 'powdercoated' texture... anyone notice the same on their motors?
(photo attached has the black motor with the powercoated texture)

Also, when screwing in the propellers, 3 screw all the way in with no effort.. 1 requires me holding the motor for the last 3 turns... anyone notice this as well?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 575
  • 2..JPG
    2..JPG
    6 MB · Views: 582
I'll have to look closer at the texture but yeah, my silver props just spin right down. My black props are stiffer and I have to hold the motors for the last couple revolutions.

wow that is weird with one motor having a difrent finish as the others. It looks like the one was either sand blasted less then the others or they used a finer grit in the blaster when they were finishing the parts.

Verify that they have the same feal when turning by hand. Then verify that they all start and stop at same time. If that lags any or is diffent I wouldn't fly till I resolved the issue. The difference in finish and painting can be from different lots or manufactures, no big deal. But they must be the same as far a specifications and operation.

Reactions: J.James
Yep.

Chinese mass-production.

Same reason some shells crack, etc.

I would not take chance. Ask for the replacement.

I have the new motors, finish is the same on all 4. The silver hub props spin on freely but fitting the black hub props, the motor has to be held to spin the props down.

New P3P, all motor textures are fine on mine and all the same, all props screw down without effort too.

Is there a date range associated with the new motors? When did DJI first start installing them in the new P3Ps? Also does anyone have a clear picture of the comparison between "old" and "new"?

I would not take chance. Ask for the replacement.

Take a chance with what?

Do you think one person or vendor is making all the motors?

If you look carefully across a population of Phantoms you'll see differences in terms of component appearances. This is not a criterion of performance or fit-for-purpose.

Take a chance with what?

Do you think one person or vendor is making all the motors?

If you look carefully across a population of Phantoms you'll see differences in terms of component appearances. This is not a criterion of performance or fit-for-purpose.
Obviously yes. Normally each components come from a manufacturer except for those that are produced internally by dji

Obviously yes. Normally each components come from a manufacturer except for those that are produced internally by dji

Take a chance with what?

The "rough" texture on the one motor will definitely without doubt cause the whole drone to be out of balance causing the arms to crack beyond repair. The vibration from the drone will probably give feedback to the remote controller making it impossible to get a visual on your tablet. Could possibly shake the controller out of your hands. I would not ever ever consider flying it. I would go as far as discarding the drone and purchase another one with four smooth motors. Just to recap- do not take a chance, throw that drone away, it's obviously a factory reject.

Reactions: markdizle and eBird
Sound advice. You might even want to consider getting out of the hobby, that motor situation just scares the heck out of me.

Really? That's your advice? Wouldn't it be better to send the obviously defective drone to one of us to check it out? My address is...

Reactions: J.James and eBird

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31