Terrible reviews

Reaction score
I have had a P4 now for a few years and it’s been flawless for the most part. Some hassles here and there, especially after upgrades, but for the most part it works fine.

Was considering a P4P as a backup / second angle unit for my wife to fly when we are out doing landscape work. Glancing at Amazon though, the reviews on the P4P are just terrible, especially the more recent reviews. Defective units, flyaway issues, unexplained headlong dives into the ground.... is this model, or just more recent production runs of this model more prone to defects then the P4 was or is it just a case of a lot of new or novice pilots getting frustrated by the realities and limitations of the technology.

Appreciate your thoughts.

The P4 was released less than 2yrs ago (Mar 2016), now discontinued. Generally speaking DJI P4P hardware is good......... if you get a good one. The problem I've seen is there is a chance you'll get one that doesn't work perfectly, and you'll need to return it to the vendor and exchange it for another craft and hope it's better. Most people get good craft, but some don't. That's why the reviews are bad, however when you get a good one, they are fantastic craft, assuming no pilot error occurs. The problem is these craft are getting more and more complicated. The other problem is DJI doesn't test them before they box them, they assume they work. As these craft got more complicated the percentage of DOAs (defective on arrival) increased.

The good news is the P4P is way better than P4, with better range, has a way better camera and it has sensors to help you stay out of trouble. Just make sure you buy it from a company that you can quickly exchange it for a period of time, like 30 days. It's been noted here that Best Buy allows returns in January for things bought today, their Christmas return policy. Normally the return period is only 15 days if you haven't bought at least $1500 worth of stuff in the last year BEFORE you purchase the craft.

Here's a list of things to check when you first get a P4P.

Last edited:
Generally speaking DJI hardware is good......... if you get a good one. The problem I've seen is there is a chance you'll get one that doesn't work perfectly, and you'll need to return it to the vendor and exchange it for another craft and hope it's better. Most people get good craft, but some don't. That's why the reviews are bad, however when you get a good one, they are fantastic craft, assuming no pilot error occurs. The P4P is way better than P4, better range, better camera and sensors to help you stay out of trouble. Just make sure you buy it from a company that you can quickly exchange it for a period of time, like 30 days. It's been noted here that Best Buy allows returns in January for things bought today, their Christmas return policy. Normally the return period is only 15 days if you haven't bought at least $1500 worth of stuff in the last year BEFORE you purchase the craft.

Here's a list of things to look for when you first get a P4P.
B&H's current return period is until February 1, so get one and try it out! :cool:

Reactions: babaco
I have had a P4 now for a few years and it’s been flawless for the most part. Some hassles here and there, especially after upgrades, but for the most part it works fine.

Was considering a P4P as a backup / second angle unit for my wife to fly when we are out doing landscape work. Glancing at Amazon though, the reviews on the P4P are just terrible, especially the more recent reviews. Defective units, flyaway issues, unexplained headlong dives into the ground.... is this model, or just more recent production runs of this model more prone to defects then the P4 was or is it just a case of a lot of new or novice pilots getting frustrated by the realities and limitations of the technology.
That's the nature of online reviews for anything.
They attract people with a complaint, whether or not it's a valid one, but happy customers don't often say anything..
The P4 pro is as good as your P4 and better and just as reliable.
The bad reviews will be for a mix of users that don't read the manual, try using a tablet that isn't up to the task, etc and a very small number of genuine malfunctions.
"Flyaways" are most commonly due to operator error such as flying off a long way downwind and up high in a strong wind or flying behind an obstacle like a hill.
Many drop-from-the-sky incidents are due to launching with a partially discharged battery.
Yes, like all complex electro-mechanical devices, there are occasional hardware issues. But they are very much outnumbered by defective operation.

That's the nature of online reviews for anything.
They attract people with a complaint, whether or not it's a valid one, but happy customers don't often say anything..
The P4 pro is as good as your P4 and better and just as reliable.
The bad reviews will be for a mix of users that don't read the manual, try using a tablet that isn't up to the task, etc and a very small number of genuine malfunctions.
"Flyaways" are most commonly due to operator error such as flying off a long way downwind and up high in a strong wind or flying behind an obstacle like a hill.
Many drop-from-the-sky incidents are due to launching with a partially discharged battery.
Yes, like all complex electro-mechanical devices, there are occasional hardware issues. But they are very much outnumbered by defective operation.

Part of that is true and part is false. I received 4 before I got a good one. Mine were hardware issues like you said, however I think that 3 bad quads is a bit much. I question DJ
I's quality control or lack of. There service may be the worse of any company out there. If you get a good craft, it is a wonderful product ! My suggestion would be to buy from a reputable dealer whom will take it back no questions asked. If it is returned to DJI, they will send you a refurbished one. Most likely you will not get yours back. Would I buy another one ? Yes ! Good luck !

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Part of that is true and part is false. I received 4 before I got a good one. Mine were hardware issues like you said, however I think that 3 bad quads is a bit much. I question DJ
I's quality control or lack of. There service may be the worse of any company out there. If you get a good craft, it is a wonderful product ! My suggestion would be to buy from a reputable dealer whom will take it back no questions asked. If it is returned to DJI, they will send you a refurbished one. Most likely you will not get yours back. Would I buy another one ? Yes ! Good luck !
I suspect your experience is not typical.
Any company that consistently had a failure rate like that would be in trouble.
I've got 2 P4 pros and both have been perfect.
One has had a hard working life for almost a year now.

Reactions: Techcop50
My first p4p from a early production run had several problems, but the replacement I got this summer has been (almost) problem free.

Most people get good craft, but some don't. That's why the reviews are bad
Bingo.

And if you read the reviews closely, you'll see a lot of people seemed to run into some kind of user error related problem, expected features that weren't advertised, or had some kind of issue with the delivery (e.g. too slow or received a previously opened product).

I suspect your experience is not typical.
Any company that consistently had a failure rate like that would be in trouble.
I've got 2 P4 pros and both have been perfect.
One has had a hard working life for almost a year now.
May be. I hope you’re right. Not so sure I agree

I think part of the problem now is that so many people from all walks of life are trying to become drone pilots overnight. Three years ago, it would only be the techies or gadget guys. Now it's everyone. Just look at the crash complaints people post to YouTube. If you have any experience at all, you can figure out where most of them went wrong.
You cannot treat a drone like a toaster, open the box, plug it in, and throw away the manual. But that's what some folks do. They assume that it is simple, which it is not. It's easy ONLY if you understand it, and follow the guidelines.

You cannot treat a drone like a toaster, open the box, plug it in, and throw away the manual. But that's what some folks do. They assume that it is simple, which it is not. It's easy ONLY if you understand it, and follow the guidelines.
Agreed, but to further your analogy, DJI can't treat a drone like a toaster either, but they do. They don't test their drones before boxing them, otherwise they would see the flaws that many here have found fresh out of the box, like crooked cameras and vibrating gimbals. Both of these types of flaws could be found at the same time they link the craft to the RC when turned on, simply by LOOKING at the drone and holding it at different angles. It would add 20 seconds to their process to check for these two things. But they don't, they treat it like a low tech device, like a toaster, and assume it will work without testing it. If you haven't received a bad P4P, that's great, but I know several that have, including myself, and we're all experienced pilots. Most of these flaws don't cause a crash, its a matter of the craft not being 100% perfect upon receipt, and having to exchange it or return it for repair in the first month of ownership.

DJI would be more profitable if they simply inspected their craft better when the power is on during the link process. 20 seconds.

I've been flying planes and jets for 12 years and truthfully the drones are a piece of cake compared to them. I am only talking about the hardware issues on these drones, and you are going to have issues from time to time. But that should never happen fresh out of the box. Just saying.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I'm very happy with it, especially the image quality. I never had any of those problems.

P4P is a beast when it comes to image quality! Got lucky myself and got a good one out of the box. Had one gimble twitch that has since been eliminated with a firmware update. But the P4P won't be your back up to the P4. It will be the other way around OP! Camera is quite a bit better! A lot! Way! LOL

Reactions: John Locke
Bingo.

And if you read the reviews closely, you'll see a lot of people seemed to run into some kind of user error related problem, expected features that weren't advertised, or had some kind of issue with the delivery (e.g. too slow or received a previously opened product).
Some of us were expecting advertised features like 4096x2160 60fps to work without video glitches, along with expecting straight cameras, and a gimbal worthy of the larger camera. Alas, the 4096x2160 60fps was never fixed, over half the cameras are still installed crooked, and the gimbal flips, even with OA on in any kind of wind, are still common. The 4096x2160 60fps is no longer listed on the specs, the High Wind warnings were implemented to discourage flying in greater than 6mph winds, which trigger the gimbal flips. The crooked cameras have a workaround fix, but shouldn't exist in the first place. Creating expectations the camera and gimbal couldn't deliver was the biggest problem. It's still the best Phantom yet! :cool:

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I run two P4P and have never had a problem. If you read and understand the manuals, learn to be a pilot and don't have unreasonable expectations, it is just a machine afterall. These machines are just awesome! Enjoy the journey one and all.

Reactions: abby and Gtarman52
I run two P4P and have never had a problem. If you read and understand the manuals, learn to be a pilot and don't have unreasonable expectations, it is just a machine afterall. These machines are just awesome! Enjoy the journey one and all.
The flying machine is no longer the problem. It's the gimbal and camera performance that still need tweaking, despite their amazing existing capabilities! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94