Tablet advice

I use iPad mini 2 - wifi only, on my P3P and it works great. I tether it to my iPhone to cache the maps and off I go. Works like a charm and I really like the size of it.

Sometimes I use the cached video on the iPad to review the flight to insure I have captured everything without hiccups. It has saved the day a couple times, seeing it before I leave the site. Other times I use it to show friends a preview of what I captured.

Picked up my P4 this morning and took it for its maiden voyage just a little while ago. This is my first quad copter so I'm taking it slow and its pretty windy at the moment but I got it up, recorded video and brought it back down without any issues. I learned pretty quickly that using my iPhone 6s isn't going to cut it so I'm going to have to buy a tablet. I've read through some threads on the P3P but I don't know if anything is different for the P4.

Would an iPad Mini 2 Wifi 16gb be sufficient for the P4? I don't want to buy one and find out I'm sacrificing something and end up needing to upgrade later. This is all very new to me and I know there is a lot I don't know yet, don't want to make a costly mistake.

iPad Mini 2 is fine, whatever iPad you get make sure it has cell service built in, that's the only ones that have a GPS inside them. I use the latest iPad mini which is great, but any iPad will do.

If you connect the wifi iPad to the iPhone using Personal hotspot, the iPad will use the iPhone's GPS location.

If you get an iPad mini, beware that mini 2&3 use the same CPU and will overheat on days over 90F. The iPad air 2 (which I have) and mini 4 have a newer CPU more tolerant to heat. Don't get 16GB, it will fill up in 6mos, get 64GB & cellular.

I used an non-cellular Mini 2 for awhile last summer in some really hot weather mid to high 90's and I never had any heat issues. It did get hot but never to the point of getting a heat warning.

Started to use an iPad Air 2 cellular and it was great but a little too big for me so I got an iPad Mini 4 cellular and it's just about right.

One thing to note aside from all the reviews (displaymate) saying the iPad Mini 4's display is the best and brightest of all iPads at the moment I found that my Air 2's screen seems a little brighter and a little whiter. The Mini 4's screen has a yellowish tinge to it. It is still completely usable but it's there.

If you connect the wifi iPad to the iPhone using Personal hotspot, the iPad will use the iPhone's GPS location.
Someone else once said that doesn't work, an iPhone hotspot won't share it's GPS location with a wifi only ipad mini, it only allows map downloads. I thought that would work too, but others say no.

I used an non-cellular Mini 2 for awhile last summer in some really hot weather mid to high 90's and I never had any heat issues. It did get hot but never to the point of getting a heat warning.
My iPad mini2 was cellular, maybe that's why I always had overheating problems. The display would crap out like the Phantom is too far away, but that's not what's happening. It's overheating so much that the hardware video decoding can't run fast enough, so the picture get all garbled. Cooling it off fixes it, but who want to hold icebags to the back of it? I had to keep starting the car and putting the iPad to the air conditioner just to get 5min of flight. That's stupid crazy, very annoying. Trust me, you don't want the iPad mini 2 or 3 if you get cellular support like I have. The Mini4 or Ipad Air2 are both great choices if you prefer IOS.

Someone else once said that doesn't work, an iPhone hotspot won't share it's GPS location with a wifi only ipad mini, it only allows map downloads. I thought that would work too, but others say no.

Ya doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

On the other hand, any BT connected GPS device will work with a WiFi only iPad for Follow Me and resetting the Home Point to the RC. Bad Elf and Garmin and others make them.

I'm not an expert, but I read otherwise in the apple forums. All I can say for certain, is that I experience no difference between using my wifi only iPad Mini, or my cellular iPhone for my FPV viewing. Only difference I experience is screen size.

I agree, I always transfer my vids and photos off the SD after every flight and edit on my desktop so I don't need much storage. Going in tomorrow to upgrade to the mini 4.
Lots of choices there. I am going to watch till the Mar 21 where Apple has their coming out preview.

I have the iPad Pro and my wife has the iPad Air. So perhaps I will get the new iPad Pro smaller screen or get the mini4?
I guess I am concerned about the weight.

It was great flying my P4 with my iPhone 6sPlus, but I realize that I need a bigger screen.

Question.. tether my iPhone to my new device or do you need to get a Wifi/Cell pad. I rather not get a cell version but I do like the Follow Me feature.

Also, I have tried to chat with DJI last night, but of course they are busy:) My question to them is.... I purchased my P4 thru Apple and I want the DJI Care. I went online and the system forces me to buy an P4 and DJI Care. I just want the Care.
Does someone knows on here or do I call CA. DJI later on today?

I'm not an expert, but I read otherwise in the apple forums. All I can say for certain, is that I experience no difference between using my wifi only iPad Mini, or my cellular iPhone for my FPV viewing. Only difference I experience is screen size.
I can confirm that DJI GO on a WiFi only iPad Air 2 will not recognize GPS from a hotspotted iPhone to reset the Home Point to the RC, or for Follow Me, while a BT connected GPS like the Bad Elf Pro 2300 works just fine.

Lots of choices there. I am going to watch till the Mar 21 where Apple has their coming out preview.

I have the iPad Pro and my wife has the iPad Air. So perhaps I will get the new iPad Pro smaller screen or get the mini4?
I guess I am concerned about the weight.

It was great flying my P4 with my iPhone 6sPlus, but I realize that I need a bigger screen.

Question.. tether my iPhone to my new device or do you need to get a Wifi/Cell pad. I rather not get a cell version but I do like the Follow Me feature.

Also, I have tried to chat with DJI last night, but of course they are busy:) My question to them is.... I purchased my P4 thru Apple and I want the DJI Care. I went online and the system forces me to buy an P4 and DJI Care. I just want the Care.
Does someone knows on here or do I call CA. DJI later on today?
Just don't crash due to Pilot Error, and you will be fine. DJI's warranty covers all other crashes, at no additional charge for 1 year. Buying DJI Care means DJI won't have to determine the cause of the crash, which means you may very well be paying for DJI Care for what would otherwise likely be a free warranty repair. Just my 2 cents.

Just don't crash due to Pilot Error, and you will be fine. DJI's warranty covers all other crashes, at no additional charge for 1 year. Buying DJI Care means DJI won't have to determine the cause of the crash, which means you may very well be paying for DJI Care for what would otherwise likely be a free warranty repair. Just my 2 cents.
Thats sound great:):) I owe you a drink for that. I called and emailed DJI and no answer from them.

Thats sound great:):) I owe you a drink for that. I called and emailed DJI and no answer from them.
Communication isn't their strong suit, and they aren't the easiest to deal with, but my only two P3P crashes were both fully covered under warranty, the last after 190 flights (Battery shutoff in midair from 220 feet onto concrete 16 seconds into the flight!). Phoning works much better than email. Keep calling.

Communication isn't their strong suit, and they aren't the easiest to deal with, but my only two P3P crashes were both fully covered under warranty, the last after 190 flights (Battery shutoff in midair from 220 feet onto concrete 16 seconds into the flight!). Phoning works much better than email. Keep calling.
Thanks again. Yes, I will try to call tomorrow but thats it. I am trying to purchase a warranty from them and I guess they don't need the $$. Just wish I had my "ticket" back. Many years ago I came down with MS. So there went my love for airplanes. I had over 2,000 logged hours and I was IFR rated. So 30 yrs later, i am back in the air so to speak:) I just wish folks on this forum would take this hobby more seriously and treat this hobby with kid gloves:) So again, thanks for your feedback and safe flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik