Tablet advice

Reaction score
Picked up my P4 this morning and took it for its maiden voyage just a little while ago. This is my first quad copter so I'm taking it slow and its pretty windy at the moment but I got it up, recorded video and brought it back down without any issues. I learned pretty quickly that using my iPhone 6s isn't going to cut it so I'm going to have to buy a tablet. I've read through some threads on the P3P but I don't know if anything is different for the P4.

Would an iPad Mini 2 Wifi 16gb be sufficient for the P4? I don't want to buy one and find out I'm sacrificing something and end up needing to upgrade later. This is all very new to me and I know there is a lot I don't know yet, don't want to make a costly mistake.

Picked up my P4 this morning and took it for its maiden voyage just a little while ago. This is my first quad copter so I'm taking it slow and its pretty windy at the moment but I got it up, recorded video and brought it back down without any issues. I learned pretty quickly that using my iPhone 6s isn't going to cut it so I'm going to have to buy a tablet. I've read through some threads on the P3P but I don't know if anything is different for the P4.

Would an iPad Mini 2 Wifi 16gb be sufficient for the P4? I don't want to buy one and find out I'm sacrificing something and end up needing to upgrade later. This is all very new to me and I know there is a lot I don't know yet, don't want to make a costly mistake.
I'm not sure about the P4 but with the P3 to have complete functionality the tablet needs to have GPS. Apple WiFi only products do not have GPS. My top choices are the IPad Air 2 cellular (i like the big screen) or the Nvidia Shield a little smaller. I would not purchase a Wifi only tablet. Just my .02

Nvidia Shield

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8"... Works great and the wifi version has GPS :)

I went through this with my P3P, started with the iPad Air2 and soon downsized to the Mini4 both with Cel & 128G. Much happier with the smaller Mini4. I can't remember who said it but I'll quote the unknown author...

"Mini for flying my Phantom and I save the Air for riding the couch".

Reactions: WWK888 and BigPig
If you get an iPad mini, beware that mini 2&3 use the same CPU and will overheat on days over 90F. The iPad air 2 (which I have) and mini 4 have a newer CPU more tolerant to heat. Don't get 16GB, it will fill up in 6mos, get 64GB & cellular.

Reactions: Cale262
Would an iPad Mini 2 Wifi 16gb be sufficient for the P4?
It is if you have no plans on caching the video on your iPad Mini 2 -- and, are going to use it solely for flying. If you plan on using it to store lots of apps, photos, etc., then it would be better to get a 32GB+.

In addition to what others said about the iPad Mini 4 above, it also has a brighter screen. If you can afford it, it would be a better investment.

I'm not sure about the P4 but with the P3 to have complete functionality the tablet needs to have GPS. Apple WiFi only products do not have GPS. My top choices are the IPad Air 2 cellular (i like the big screen) or the Nvidia Shield a little smaller. I would not purchase a Wifi only tablet. Just my .02
I thought you should have the GPS turned off on your tablet so it wouldnt interfere with the GPS on the Phantom. I have a Galaxy Tab 4 8" with cell and no sim . I turned off my location and bluetooth to make sure I didnt have any problems. Need more info on why you keep the GPS on .

You would need to keep GPS on if using the Follow Me feature or if you have the need to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

Reactions: Fallguy
I appreciate all of the feedback thus far. I'm an Apple user so their products are definitely more appealing to me. I hate to compromise so I may end up using my phone until I can save up for an appropriate iPad. It sounds like the Mini4 is a good choice. I don't think I'll need to save much on the iPad itself so I'll probably stick with the 16gb version. I can always transfer files to my Macbook as needed to keep it cleared out if I decide to save anything.

If you get an iPad mini, beware that mini 2&3 use the same CPU and will overheat on days over 90F. The iPad air 2 (which I have) and mini 4 have a newer CPU more tolerant to heat. Don't get 16GB, it will fill up in 6mos, get 64GB & cellular.
Dido. I use the same. Love the bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have the iPad mini 2 and noticed that it does get very warm after flying awhile. I just bought it at the end of January specifically to use with my P3P. After reading this I decided to call the Apple store where I bought it and see if there was any way I could return the mini 2 and upgrade to the mini 4 although I was well out of the 14 day return policy.

Spoke to the manager who was really nice and told her my reasons for wanting to upgrade. As soon as I mentioned that I use it for my Phantom 3 she said "Oh! Our staff is so excited we got the new P4 in, there is such a buzz about it!". She said no problem, we want you to be happy with your Apple product, bring it in for a full return or upgrade to the mini 4. She also checked and said they have several P4's available for in store pickup...oh oh, this may get expensive!

Reactions: lotusteve
I have the iPad mini 2 and noticed that it does get very warm after flying awhile.
This isn't an issue when flying in cold weather. However, in hot weather, it can overheat. I had to fly mine without a case on it a few days last summer to prevent it from overheating.

This isn't an issue when flying in cold weather. However, in hot weather, it can overheat. I had to fly mine without a case on it a few days last summer to prevent it from overheating.

I live in Hawaii....need I say more? LOL!

I appreciate all of the feedback thus far. I'm an Apple user so their products are definitely more appealing to me. I hate to compromise so I may end up using my phone until I can save up for an appropriate iPad. It sounds like the Mini4 is a good choice. I don't think I'll need to save much on the iPad itself so I'll probably stick with the 16gb version. I can always transfer files to my Macbook as needed to keep it cleared out if I decide to save anything.

Good choice. It is light in the hands without having to use the strap that you would need for the larger heavier ones. I have the 16GB with GPS and love it.

Good choice. It is light in the hands without having to use the strap that you would need for the larger heavier ones. I have the 16GB with GPS and love it.

I agree, I always transfer my vids and photos off the SD after every flight and edit on my desktop so I don't need much storage. Going in tomorrow to upgrade to the mini 4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20