Successful Flights

Reaction score
Just un-boxed my vision last night and upgraded the firmware of the actual copter, the Remote control and the camera... First flight went great with no problems... I have been seeing the horror stories of this thing just shutting down and falling from the sky, which causes me to have hesitation about putting it in the air. On forums you typically see the problems and not the good...

How many people are having successful flights with no problems?

:D

wakeb0rd said:
Just un-boxed my vision last night and upgraded the firmware of the actual copter, the Remote control and the camera... First flight went great with no problems... I have been seeing the horror stories of this thing just shutting down and falling from the sky, which causes me to have hesitation about putting it in the air. On forums you typically see the problems and not the good...

How many people are having successful flights with no problems?

:D

I fear for jinxing myself, but I've been happy with my PV so far :)
Just picked up another battery and I'm gonna mark them so I can monitor their performance separately.

Six successfull missions lol... Everything updated since first flight... Have flown near power lines and cell towers... Not a glitch I hope it stays that way... Althought one time testing the motors without props I got a strange sound and slow down from one motor so I am replacing them all with higher quality T-motors...

Another one to report no airbourne issues at all, pre- or post-firmware update. I'm so happy with it I recently took delivery of a second battery - that means that I was out with my son and his friend for an hour messing about and letting them fly it and taking some shots, with more than 3/4 of that time in the air! My two 7-year old trainee pilots had a cracking time. Total time to change the battery over when required? About 12 seconds. Very nice in calm conditions, but the Vision handles wind very well too. Firmware has been updated and I'm really liking atti mode for filming. I'm going to flash the new camera firmware tonight, and I'm far more excited than I should be about the upcoming ground station functions... :)

http://youtu.be/ZLAX2JRKKUM

Second flight was flawless, No issues to report. Completed a 20 minute flight before the warning alarm began to sound that the battery was getting low. I too, ordered another battery today after realizing charging times on the pack take about 60 to 90 minutes. So far I am pleased. Will keep updating after successful flights. Thanks for the input everyone!

Put me down as an owner who has had nothing but successful flights... I spent the time waiting for my P2V to arrive by reading all of the DJI manuals, watching the excellent Tutorials and looking at many of the posts here, along with seeing a good number o YouTube results. And...I have to confess to being fairly anxious before my first flight, especially since my RC experience was a solid zero...unless you count seeing other RC people flying fixed wing models...and not a lot of that either..!
Anyway...in the last few weeks since my first flight, I've had maybe 25-30 take-offs and landings, some in moderate winds, some with others having some time with the joy-sticks...and all has gone just fine.

You are totally correct to observe that forums such as this get mainly people who have run into some difficulty and want to get some input....all very understandable...and that is a big part of this site as well.

Glad you are having good luck...and getting as addicted as many of the rest of us...!

Knock on wood. All sucessful flights here with the P2V. I've probably done about 8 to 10 battery charges worth of flight time.

I have not yet updated firmware. I was going to try to use a friends windows computer to update as I'd prefer not to have to contaminate my mac with windows.

Hulihee, I updated my dji with macbook pro but was using dual boot windows 8... No problems there... Waiting for the battery to charge to go for flight #3!

Does anyone know if there is a forum or topic going into more detail on ATTI mode? Thanks and blue skies!

I'm pleased to be able to report another success story so far. I've installed all the updates to firmware and software without problems. I will install the new camera firmware and RAW file profile tomorrow. I've also just bought a second battery. Seems a common purchase. Flights haven't been too far, about 400 ft altitude and 500 ft distance which have been fine. I've used course lock and home lock successfully and use atti mode normally for take off. So far I haven't tested RTH.
I've had some problems with the lens fogging up and have started to work out how to fit a sun shade to the lens as with the current low angle of the sun, I get far too much flare.
As a piece of complex technology which flies from the box, the Vision is in a class of is own.

Another success story, five flights taking off from an area with only about 6 feet in every direction around the Phantom (my yard). First flight was taking off, maneuvering around yard, and landing again and again to get the feel of flying it. All flights were in GPS mode; 2 spare batteries will be arriving Friday so it will be worth taking the trip to the local park and give me the chance to try out all the other modes with more space to correct any errors. I will wait until I'm comfortable with the other modes before trying full manual mode; I want the Phantom to last a while. :D Very happy with how easy it is to fly and camera quality is all I need for home use. Waiting until DJI comes out with a 2 axis gimbal for the vision, that's all I can see that I would want to change on it.

I think the odds are probably that you will be fine. But the reality is that there is a possibility that any of them will have the dreaded mysterious catastrophic in flight power / cpu failure. So enjoy your PV but play it safe and NEVER fly it above people or anything that could get hurt if the PV decides to drop from the sky.

For a few days, I couldn't stand to visit this board for fear of reading the NEXT horror story. But I learned to remember that folks are (naturally) quick to tell of their problems and frustrations. The nightly news never covers the thousands of airplane flights that take off and land safely. It's kinda the same here.

Just to add my 2 cents ;)

I've had at least 10 (as far as I can remember) 20+ minute flights with the Vision (temp close to freezing, some wind) and have had no problems whatsoever. I did fly responsibly and carefully so that may explain this a bit. I did get the Phantom after the last updates were already posted and did update everything before the first flight and followed all instructions to the letter - which should not be surprising coming from an engineer ;-) I did not have any problems taking off (can't imagine how is it possible to tip it over at this point), landing or flying in winds up to 35-40km/h. My highest altitude so far was 150m, furthest distance about 200m at an altitude of 100m - at this point you can't see the Vision at all with 20/20 eyesight, at least I couldn't.

Hope this helps in clearing up the picture ;)

All good here so far. Had my PV for about 2 weeks and roughly 25 flights with no issues. I upgraded all of my Firmwares right out of the box, and other than a few tip overs on landing (High Grass) I haven't seen any problems. I've calibrated the IMU only when it said it was needed (once so far) and everything works like a champ. I have 2 more batteries on the way and am really looking forward to the Ground Station options in the Late December / Early January Firmware release !

- Bill

I've got eighteen flights under my belt in the past month and have only a few, mostly self induced, battle scars. All in all a very good experience. I love this technology and it just keeps moving on at a rapid pace... giving us more and more capabilities... What an awesome hobby !!! :D :D :D

-slinger

So far I have had about 15 trouble free flights. I got a second battery today and did two full flights in a row at 0 deg C (32 F). Took it up to 1000 ft altitude, flew it out over a large body of water with no fear. Also throwing it around quite a bit. Not being gentle on the controls. The Phantom Vision has performed flawlessly for me. Even did a demonstration for about 20 of my co-workers (all aerospace engineers) who were amazed by the performance. Especially the climb rate. I have never had any of the battery problems out of the box. I upgraded to the latest firmware and now run in NAZA mode and still no problems at all. I am very pleased with the performance and reliability so far. Never had a crash and the machine is still in showroom condition.

I got my new Phantom 2 Vision on Monday, updated the copter and controller with latest firmware and have had two flawless flights. My second flight was 200 feet away and over 600 feet up with full WiFi signal. I've been quite pleased with the flight performance thus far, I also found max speed of 30mph

I've had at least 8 flights so far. Not a single problem at all.
Everything had the latest version already installed when it arrived. The next day there was an update for the camera - installed in 2 seconds.
I also have 3 Batteries to start out with and none have had any kind of error.
Using Maha Powerex rechargeable batts in the remote.

So far I'm VERY impressed with my PV. I can see this is going to be addicting.

Let's hope it stays that way!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers