Stopping a Drone from from Voyeurism

Very very bad advice. Not to mention it's a chicken crap kind of sentiment "from a spot where they would not be able to see me"

If you're man enough to pull that kind of stunt you should be man enough to take responsibility for it. Otherwise you're just a coward in the bushes.
If a pilot is an [EXPLETIVE REMOVED], he deserves what he gets. I would hide, so that he could never prove I shot it down. That way, his craft crashes for unknown reasons and you confiscate the drone and if you wish, give it back or to the police.
I am over 70, I am not about to have a confrontation with anrone.
BQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DocDiggler
If you see it, take off and follow it home.
As an owner of a Phantom 4, I respect Drone Owners. However, I discovered the other night that someone in my neighborhood likes to use their Mavic to spy on my Pool/Backyard. This has caused my Wife & I anguish. We no longer feel our Privacy is safe in our backyard. Anyway to counter this Pervert Drone?
Yip put your follow me home mask on and track it,good to fly around but nosy is a no go area,must respect all ,set up a dummy in the pool ,let them look while you get ready to follow

Get a laser pointer and maybe a filter lens to spread the beam out a little. You know where the camera on the drone is so have a little fun trying to keep the laser on it.
[emoji16]

Yes a laser pointer will temporarily knock out the video feed so that's your spying problem solved at least. They may think that the laser will ruin the very expensive camera so this could put an end to everything in a totally legal fashion[emoji106]

EDIT: Turns out laser pointers to a drone are just as illegal as doing them to normal aircraft :D sorry for the mistake! To reiterate, may not be a good idea to use a laser on the peeving mavic!

Will still knock out the video though ;)

Last edited:
I still say find out where that drone lives and knock on his door.If it's the man of the house then ask him in front of his wife why is he lurking over your pool watching your wife.If it is a younger son then I would think his dad would take care of the problem.Either way I think the problem will be solved by dad or wife ...

Yes a laser pointer will temporarily knock out the video feed so that's your spying problem solved at least. They may think that the laser will ruin the very expensive camera so this could put an end to everything in a totally legal fashion[emoji106]

I wouldn't be so quick to state it is totally legal.
It is a federal crime to illuminate aircraft with lasers.

Does this apply to model aircraft too?

Seems likely as this could also cause the operator to lose control of the aircraft.

Can you cite the information you have to accompany your claim?

As an owner of a Phantom 4, I respect Drone Owners. However, I discovered the other night that someone in my neighborhood likes to use their Mavic to spy on my Pool/Backyard. This has caused my Wife & I anguish. We no longer feel our Privacy is safe in our backyard. Anyway to counter this Pervert Drone?
Bow and arrow and kite string. Make sure the Arrow has a blunt end [think bean bag end] that could not penetrate anything it could hit. Tie about 100 feet of kite string to the back end of the arrow and launch in the general area of the drone. Works every time. Style points for having a fishing reel type mechanism you can reel in the drone and have the owner come ask for the bits that survived back.

Very very bad advice. Not to mention it's a chicken crap kind of sentiment "from a spot where they would not be able to see me"

If you're man enough to pull that kind of stunt you should be man enough to take responsibility for it. Otherwise you're just a coward in the bushes.
Sort of like the coward in the bushes peeping on his wife and kids in the swimming pool with his drone? I see, pot kettle black.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's pretty amazing to me that so many drone owners are suggesting that the drone be somehow destroyed.
There is no evidence that the owner is even looking at the guy and his wife. Just because it's up there doesn't mean it's focused on them.
What if a neighbor hired him to check their roof? So many other possible scenarios.
Furthermore suggestion it somehow be knocked out of the sky or disabled is very irresponsible advice.
Shame on any drone operator who recommends that.

It's pretty amazing to me that so many drone owners are suggesting that the drone be somehow destroyed.
There is no evidence that the owner is even looking at the guy and his wife. Just because it's up there doesn't mean it's focused on them.
What if a neighbor hired him to check their roof? So many other possible scenarios.
Furthermore suggestion it somehow be knocked out of the sky or disabled is very irresponsible advice.

It is amazing to me, that Drone owners are advocating voyeurism....
If it is over someone's private property at a height that would be considered 'peeping' [50 feet, 100 feet? who knows the reasonable limit..] given the area where the drone is lurking, and the potential for children to be filmed, it is more than fair game to remove the drone from the equation in a safe to the public way.
This would be in a case where there would be no nearby neighbors to have roof checked etc of course.
If there is no reason whatsoever for a drone to be over someones private property other than peeping on people enjoying a pool, the drone should be dealt with

If it is over someone's private property at a height that would be considered 'peeping' [50 feet, 100 feet? who knows the reasonable limit..] given the area where the drone is lurking, and the potential for children to be filmed, it is more than fair game to remove the drone from the equation in a safe to the public way.
This would be in a case where there would be no nearby neighbors to have roof checked etc of course.
If there is no reason whatsoever for a drone to be over someones private property other than peeping on people enjoying a pool, the drone should be dealt with
You mean the person should be dealt with, right? A drone is just a device just like a gun or anything else. It's not the device, it's the person behind it.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I still say find out where that drone lives and knock on his door.If it's the man of the house then ask him in front of his wife why is he lurking over your pool watching your wife.If it is a younger son then I would think his dad would take care of the problem.Either way I think the problem will be solved by dad or wife ...
Best advice!

Curious as to what height the spying was going on at. This picture was about 100' over a friends house where my son was hanging out. Not much of a spy photo. Lol.
097e73fc30e0c78cf5037931d8d54559.jpg

Now 20-25' up. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to take it down.

f2ca7395b9eee0b4090bb02dc6cf4da6.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I now keep my Drone ready to fly and follow at a moments notice.

Drone on standby....Launch alert one!!!

upload_2017-7-29_8-15-7.png

Reactions: ChipperRay

This.

Reactions: cfd701

No one is advocating voyeurinsm, however are you really so dense as to not see that his post sounds pretty much exactly like one of the tin foil hat anti drone paranoids? Combine that with join date and post count. Don't feed the troll.

Even if he isn't a troll, he as offered NO proof whatsoever to support his claims. HOW does he know it's over his yard, or what it is focused on?

Further some of the moronic posts in this thread have openly suggested committing serious felonies. You CANNOT shoot down an aircraft! Nor can you interfere with it, try it and the FAA WILL prosecute you. Feel like spending the next 20 years getting your butt hole stretched in federal prison? Than by all means follow the advice of the paranoid idiots.

No one owns the air, a drone which is flying is incapable of trespass.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures