Stopping a Drone from from Voyeurism

Yes it will.

What part of it is illegal to shoot down or interfere with an aircraft don't you understand? What weapon is used is irrelevant, the FAA will climb up your butt like you shot a stinger at a 747, their is no legal difference. You cannot shoot down aircraft, how do you not understand that?
I have to second that. I don't know what other state or country laws are but here in Wyoming you can't shoot a bb gun, bow or anything in the city limits unless otherwise set aside for such activities, i.e. a public shooting range. The reason for these laws is quite obvious. I also see there a few people in here didn't pass their hunter safety test...LOL. You are never suppose to shoot up into the air...you don't know what lies beyond (especially in the city). You don't have a safe backstop. Furthermore, lets say you are a marksman and you hit your target on the first shot. Ok, now we suppose, in our flawed reasoning, the drone is going to come straight down, right? Well, let's suppose Mr. Murphy pays us a visit with his laws. Let's say you hit the drone square, but instead of falling from the sky like a rock, it instead becomes uncontrollable by the pilot and zings right into the little old lady next door who is quietly knitting on her porch and is day dreaming of a time when she was younger with her husband who has long since passed and when her kids were young. What a rude awakening that would be! We may want to re-think our knee jerk reaction to "I'm a gonna shoot that thang!"

I want to know how the homeowner can be certain this is undeed a case of voyeurism? No one but the pilot knows exactly what the camera is trained on. How high is the Mavic and how does the homeowner know this is a Mavic? How long is the drone on station? How many incidents have been observed? Is this just one more case of the worst being assumed?

There are numerous states that have passed anti stalking and harassment laws and as such this simply should be reported to the authorities.

Yes it will.

What part of it is illegal to shoot down or interfere with an aircraft don't you understand? What weapon is used is irrelevant, the FAA will climb up your butt like you shot a stinger at a 747, their is no legal difference. You cannot shoot down aircraft, how do you not understand that?

You are completely correct about the law but, so far, the FAA has seemed reluctant to get involved in such incidents. In fact I'm not aware of any incidents where they have attempted to prosecute, which is unfortunate.

The correct response to suspected voyeurism-by-drone is, of course, the same as to any other type of voyeurism - call the police.

I have to second that. I don't know what other state or country laws are but here in Wyoming you can't shoot a bb gun, bow or anything in the city limits unless otherwise set aside for such activities, i.e. a public shooting range. The reason for these laws is quite obvious. I also see there a few people in here didn't pass their hunter safety test...LOL. You are never suppose to shoot up into the air...you don't know what lies beyond (especially in the city). You don't have a safe backstop. Furthermore, lets say you are a marksman and you hit your target on the first shot. Ok, now we suppose, in our flawed reasoning, the drone is going to come straight down, right? Well, let's suppose Mr. Murphy pays us a visit with his laws. Let's say you hit the drone square, but instead of falling from the sky like a rock, it instead becomes uncontrollable by the pilot and zings right into the little old lady next door who is quietly knitting on her porch and is day dreaming of a time when she was younger with her husband who has long since passed and when her kids were young. What a rude awakening that would be! We may want to re-think our knee jerk reaction to "I'm a gonna shoot that thang!"
"Ok, now we suppose, in our flawed reasoning, the drone is going to come straight down, right? Well, let's suppose Mr. Murphy pays us a visit with his laws. Let's say you hit the drone square, but instead of falling from the sky like a rock, it instead becomes uncontrollable by the pilot and zings right into the little old lady next door who is quietly knitting on her porch and is day dreaming of a time when she was younger with her husband who has long since passed and when her kids were young. What a rude awakening that would be! We may want to re-think our knee jerk reaction to "I'm a gonna shoot that thang!"

You do realize that all these things can happen during a fly away right? Yet everyone is still insisting to fly near towns and cities. A fully charged Phantom 4 Pro (on a fly away) can fly faaaaar!

You are completely correct about the law but, so far, the FAA has seemed reluctant to get involved in such incidents. In fact I'm not aware of any incidents where they have attempted to prosecute, which is unfortunate.

The correct response to suspected voyeurism-by-drone is, of course, the same as to any other type of voyeurism - call the police.
Sar104 I too have not heard of the FAA responding to such a complaint but I have seen a YouTube video (news reel) of a sheriff's response to such an incident and it didn't turn out well for the man who shot the drone out of the air. If memory serves me correct it was a Kentucky man who claims a done was spying on his wife in the back yard. So he runs inside, grabs his shotgun and proceeds to blow the drone out of the air. He was later approached by two young men (don't remember if they were teens or young adults) asking him if it were he that shot down their drone. He responded that it was indeed him. Moments later the Sheriff arrived took everyone's statements and at the end of the day the guy who shot the drone was charged,procecuted and convicted with a felony. I believe the reason was by shooting the drone down, he had endangered the life of surrounding neighbors, property, etc.

Yeah, I agree. Like the moderator stated, a pellet gun is probably not powerful enough to down a drone from a distance. I think if you use 00 buckshot you have an increased chance of downing the drone. Also, like the mod said, don't hide in your bushes either, hide in your neighbors bushes so he takes the fall.

MODERATOR SHOULD DELETE ANY POST OR COMMENT THAT ENCOURAGES SHOOTING DOWN A DRONE.

For anybody on this forum to suggest shooting down a drone just shows that they do not know much about drones. #1 it is illegal to shoot at an aircaft. #2 the falling craft could hurt someone, and #3 it might be illegal to discharge a firearm in your neighborhood. C'mon people.

Personally, I would launch my drone and follow them from a higher altitude. (on sport mode, of course). If you are any good at precision flying, you will find their launch site. If you are really good, you can snare them with a dragnet. Our pilots practice precision techniques and lost drone recovery maneuvers.

As I was scanning through my email and saw the one from the forum regarding lasts weeks most popular topics I went through them. When I saw this one and read through it and did not see a solution that I thought would be the right thing to do, considering we all love drones and flying them, I thought I put in my $.02. If this were to happen to me, it hasn't yet, and the drone was hovering over my home or my front or back yard, I would gather up my family, if they were to oblige, and try to put myself in front of the drone's camera and wave. Just maybe you might acquire a new flying buddy. But that's just me. Simple, but it could prove effective.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Go back inside and your wife starts dancing and slip out the front door and launch your P4 while he is watching your wife.Fix your lights so they arn't on or black them out and get higher than your pervert and make a quick scan of the neighborhood.He is probably standing in his yard but then tell your wife to point at that drone and see if it runs home and follow it.It might work if it's done right with some planning.
Briiliant

Just maybe you might acquire a new flying buddy. But that's just me. Simple, but it could prove effective.
Or at least the pilot would know that YOU know he is there and aware of his quad.

As an owner of a Phantom 4, I respect Drone Owners. However, I discovered the other night that someone in my neighborhood likes to use their Mavic to spy on my Pool/Backyard. This has caused my Wife & I anguish. We no longer feel our Privacy is safe in our backyard. Anyway to counter this Pervert Drone?

You mentioned that you noticed the other night; has this continued, or occurred more than once? If so, simply report it to your local authorities if it causes concern and that you do not condone it, whether voyeurism or casing your property for a theft. Then you are "on the record." I am not a lawyer but I believe there is a thing called "condonation" where, if you let things go after multiple occurrences or beyond a given amount of time, you in fact are condoning it.

Other than that, hold up a poster that says "STOP."

Attachments

• stopposter.jpg
    stopposter.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 295
Interesting to hear privacy concern viewpoints from drone operators.

Ok, so we all know that ANY kind of ground to air attack is illegal and dangerous. Pellet gun, shotgun, paintball, lasers. All illegal. BUT.... nothing in the books about drone dogfighting. In fact, there is a new hobby emerging. Drone Combat League.

It is highly unlikely that the intruder drone is armed for battle. With a few metal coat hangers and some zip-ties, YOURS COULD BE! Not only would you eliminate the intruder drone, you would have a great time doing it! You would have two more advantages on your side too. The element of surprise and a fully charged battery to chase the intruder down with!

Reactions: N017RW
Ok, so we all know that ANY kind of ground to air attack is illegal and dangerous. Pellet gun, shotgun, paintball, lasers. All illegal. BUT.... nothing in the books about drone dogfighting. In fact, there is a new hobby emerging. Drone Combat League.

It is highly unlikely that the intruder drone is armed for battle. With a few metal coat hangers and some zip-ties, YOURS COULD BE! Not only would you eliminate the intruder drone, you would have a great time doing it! You would have two more advantages on your side too. The element of surprise and a fully charged battery to chase the intruder down with!

Interesting!
Risky, difficult, and requiring preparedness, but interesting.

Edit: further reflection would yield that it is illegal to interfere with ANY aircraft operations. However no Souls on-board and... accidents do happen.
BUT- where do they 'land' after the collision?

Risky and not condoned.

Last edited:
I like the walk around naked idea. I know it'd work if I was the victim of his attention.

SB

Seems same...
Interference with aircraft operations.

With the caveat that it should be within VLOS of the operator at all times.

Two wrongs???

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94