Still waiting on those Walkera 5200s

Reaction score
This is a lot like my normal commute. Leave by 7:30, get in by 8:30. Leave by 7:45, get in by 9:30. If I had waited a week for the batteries to show up on HK, I could have had them by now....instead, they're taking the scenic route across the globe. Hopefully they don't self-discharge by the time they make it to the states.

In the meantime, I'm passing time with a side project :)

B4dA8hS.jpg

OI Photography said:
1. How will you attach the lower motor mounts to the ends of the arms?

I have 3 extra arms, I cut off the motor mounts and landing extensions on all of them and will (rather, hope to) press fit and secure them to the existing motor mounts through the central shaft hole. This is yet another HGT mod, I feel like I'm a cheap chinese knockoff of that guy.

OI Photography said:
2. What batt are you planning on using?

That's the one thing I have no idea about. This is a really ideal platform to try out some bigger 4S batteries. The prices are scaring me a bit (considering how much I've sent on 3S2P Phantom bats to date), but my goal for this is not to maximize flight time (the 25% efficiency hit to coaxial setup kills that before it even gets off the ground) but I'd like to hit 15 minutes carrying a 3-axis gimbal. I can do that today with the Phantom, so it seems like a reachable goal.

OI Photography said:

Naza-M V2. I was thinking about going with a Lite for this one, but the lack of extensibility was a deal-breaker.

The Phantom is still going to be my main rig, I've got it so dialed in I'm confident flying it anywhere/anytime. This will be a bit more of an experimentation and heavy-lift platform, and I've got all the parts lined up to swap between Y6 and X8 pretty quickly.

I figured you might be looking at moving to 4S for this one, seemed like that would be more suitable for what you're going for.

So if you're ready to hot-swap to an X8, does that mean you bought two E300 quad sets? From the pic I'd assumed you just got a single hex kit. But I do see where the cannibalized arms are also being used to space the frame plates in the same places they would have been mounted (and I assume will be swapped out if you Optimus Prime it to an X8 suddenly).

I read somewhere that a tri arm, set up like what you are doing offers superior stability in higher winds: did I get that right?

Am I seeing this correctly? There are motors top and bottom on each arm?

OI Photography said:
I figured you might be looking at moving to 4S for this one, seemed like that would be more suitable for what you're going for.

So if you're ready to hot-swap to an X8, does that mean you bought two E300 quad sets? From the pic I'd assumed you just got a single hex kit. But I do see where the cannibalized arms are also being used to space the frame plates in the same places they would have been mounted (and I assume will be swapped out if you Optimus Prime it to an X8 suddenly).

Well I was thinking about putting in servo breaks and ESC wires on bullets so that it could actually be hot-swappable in the field (I don't know if you can change mixer types through BT), but that'd probably just be fanciful. If I did it, it would just be temporary so I could gauge performance between two configs quickly. Other than bullets to the PDB, I'm happy just having the extra arm and motor available so I can swap top plates and reposition arms without too much hassle.

I got the hex kit, and spare E300 motors/ESCs are pretty easy to get. The main problem is, the kit isn't the best suited for weird builds like co-axial. I need all cw motors and props, and non-self-tightening props on the bottom. The way it is now, the bottom 3 motors are self-loosening because of the ccw threading.. It shouldn't be a big problem because the props are keyed, and what's more they will be pushing up into the motor so they may not ever come off even if the prop nuts are gone...hope I never have to find out though.

Hiway said:
I read somewhere that a tri arm, set up like what you are doing offers superior stability in higher winds: did I get that right?

Am I seeing this correctly? There are motors top and bottom on each arm?

Yep, I'm waiting on some components before I can install the motors and mounts to the arms, but you got the idea. I don't know if it's more stable than a flat quad, but it's supposed to stand up to wind more than a flat hex. I really wanted to keep the size small, but an F450 can't lift any more than a Phantom, given they're using the same number and type of motors (and the 9" props are more efficient than the 1038s). And an F550 is too big for my tastes.

I'm hoping this lets me carry an AUW of 2000-2400g, which is plenty to load it up with GoPro-class gear and still run some beefy batteries.

Mostly done. I'm waiting for non-self tightening props for the lower motors (it won't fly with the ones installed):

nEFepfq.jpg

I told myself this wasn't going to be a low-weight hex so I could feel more free experimenting with load configurations. But I'm looking at that number and thinking, "I can get it under 850g EASY." Must...resist.

Pssssst yo ELG,

I have one in the oven also....

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 673
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 692
EMCSQUAR said:
Pssssst yo ELG,

I have one in the oven also....
Kong 450? Are you going x8? I was seriously thinking about going that route, esp for the foldable y6 option.

It's a project on the back burner. Maybe 8 or maybe just a "kamikaze" 4 motor video platform. I couldn't pass it up for less than 1/4 of the price.

It's up: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10924

A lot of first tests today. While I'm still holding out hope that the Pro-Z-14 eventually finds its legs, I had the most amazingly smooth maiden flight with the Y6 tonight as well. This thing is as stable as my Phantom, with zero setup and tuning.

I'm going to need some orientation lights. It's almost entirely blacked out at night.
rZbs8f6.jpg

9jiWc31.jpg

ELG - you're such an inspiration I decided to attack my Kong aka: CopterMobi and used the NazaV2 and E300 Tuned Propulsion kit last night. Had it together and flying in 2 hours. Waiting on my spare H32D gimbal to come back from DJI to do bonsai video run.

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 440
EMCSQUAR said:
ELG - you're such an inspiration I decided to attack my Kong aka: CopterMobi and used the NazaV2 and E300 Tuned Propulsion kit last night. Had it together and flying in 2 hours. Waiting on my spare H32D gimbal to come back from DJI to do bonsai video run.

I'd love to see some footage OF the Kong (not just from it)...maybe use your Phantom? :)

That's a really sweet design EMC. I really dig the asymmetrical quads. And you got everything going quickly! I think it took me two hours just to decide WHERE to mount the NAZA on the F450. It's a total sandbox, not neatly laid out and puzzle-fitted like the Phantom.

How do you have the compass positioned? Having it raised on a stalk would seem to mess with the sleek lines of the Kong's shell.

ElGuano said:
I think it took me two hours just to decide WHERE to mount the NAZA on the F450. It's a total sandbox, not neatly laid out and puzzle-fitted like the Phantom.

You aren't kidding. A large percentage of the time spent building my 550 was just testing different component mounting schemes...at least 4 different overall configs, each with multiple variations. Getting 9 things in a near-optimal position usually meant the 10th had to be in the worst possible place :roll:

EMC, that is indeed a very sexy build.

OI Photography said:
Getting 9 things in a near-optimal position usually meant the 10th had to be in the worst possible place :roll:

It doesn't help that the PMU and iOSD have port coming out 3 of the 4 sides. I almost just resorted to taping them to the underside of the top plate just to get them out of the way.

ElGuano said:
OI Photography said:
Getting 9 things in a near-optimal position usually meant the 10th had to be in the worst possible place :roll:

It doesn't help that the PMU and iOSD have port coming out 3 of the 4 sides. I almost just resorted to taping them to the underside of the top plate just to get them out of the way.

That's exactly what my final solution was:
I9iigOkl.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl