State Farm goodness coming to an end?

Reaction score
I’ve read a lot here about a $60/year personal article insurance for your drone.

I called an agent and she said they have limitations. Has to be used only on your property and cannot have a camera mounted.

Pretty useless.

Is this something new? Or am I being sold a bill of goods?

I’m in New York State

Last edited:
Reactions: thegeekunderground
I've had a personal articles policy on my drone equipment and DSLR equipment for years. I've never been told these limitations. What would the point be if that were true? I'll look at the fine print on my policy.

I read through my whole policy, there isn't anything related to drones or UAS's in there. Some stuff on fine art, sports equipment etc.

I’ve read a lot here about a $60/year personal article insurance for your drone.

I called an agent and she said they have limitations. Has to be used only on your property and cannot have a camera mounted.

Pretty useless.

I’m in New York State
I have been a State Farm policyholder for many years. I insured my P3P for $65. per year. A year later I acquired another P3P as a spare for a lot less money. I also insured that for $65. A few months later my first P3P crashed, pilot error. They paid the full $1200 approx with no problem. About six months later the second P3P fell out of the sky for unknown reasons. I was about to submit a claim for that as well but my State Farm office told me that the claim would be paid but the policy covering other itemized equipment (jewelry, cameras, etc) would then be cancelled. I decided not to submit that claim, but removed all items that weren't very expensive from my policy. What good is a policy you can't use without having your policy cancelled.

That said, I think they are beginning to realize that $65 isn't going to cover their loss record on drones. Sooner or later, most will crash.

Reactions: TonkaMayhem
Called State Farm today. They say as long as its a hobby, not commercial, your good to go. $35 per year. Carlisle, Pa. Just need receipts from purchase. They also cover extra equipment, batteries and such. Not that I fly with both batteries.

Pretty useless.

I’m in New York State
I have mine covered with State Farm in New York with no issues.

Called State Farm today. They say as long as its a hobby, not commercial, your good to go. $35 per year. Carlisle, Pa. Just need receipts from purchase. They also cover extra equipment, batteries and such. Not that I fly with both batteries.
... but if your whole kit gets stolen out of your car

You know that’s exactly what they told me bsartist. So I added 3 batteries, my carry case, filters, controller, and iPad. $ 35. Including the P3se

I have two P4's, one P4P, a P3S and seven batteries all insured with State Farm for $60 per year total. My P4P crashed and I had it replaced for $99 with DJI Care which was on the last day of coverage. Personal Articles Floaters can be a problem area for false claims. I chose not to turn the loss in to State Farm after only having the policy 30 days. I got the coverage for a total loss. I owned and operated insurance agencies in Arizona years ago.

Pretty useless.

I’m in New York State
They used to call these policies Personal Article Floaters. That is because the policy covers your goods as they travel. That agent in New York doesn't know what she's talking about or else she just didn't want to write the policy. It's a lot of work for such a small premium and maybe 5 or 6 bucks to the agency. I've had all of my insurance with State Farm for over 40 years.

My State Farm agent was not aware of the policy until I pushed it with him to check. $60.00 in Michigan. I listed my P3S, controller, batteries, travel case. etc. They would not include my iPad in the coverage.

I recently lost my p4p by hitting a tree. Insured with State Farm’s personal articles policy, for $60.00 per year. They paid $1800.00 after I explained what happened to my adjuster. Had money in my hand in 10 days. Went out and bought Mavic Pro, and reinsured that the next day. Again ,$60.00....I have had auto, home, and life insurance with same insurance agent for about 35 years. They treat me great, with smiles every time I make contact. The girls in the office are betting on when my next crash will be.....

I contacted an agent in NYS recommended by someone on this forum. Apparently the demise of the $60 drone insurance is greatly exaggerated. I got hooked up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT