Starting propellers on the second attempt

Reaction score
Hi.The drone lay for 1.5 years in the closet. When I try to start the engines, the drone refuses to do this. The drone starts the engines only the second time. After take-off almost immediately, the drone shows a compass error. I don’t know what happened. He lay in the closet and no one touched him. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Reactions: DenMac
Standing for so long I’d guess it may need a compass calibration. Updates may be required too.

Don't update anything until you get this sorted out.

If you do, you'll just be introducing an extra set of unknown variables. You likely have a battery problem and/or the quad was stored or came close to a magnet.

And in Go app, go to About, and record all version numbers - now.

Last edited:
Any warnings or prompts come up during first try at start,,take note if any,,,otherwise go through check all settings ,calibrate compass and imu and remote sticks and retry,,,,bound to be update but that's optional to you unless forced into it by app,,

Might be helpful if we knew what aircraft is involved.
And maybe which controller.
And I will go right along with the DON’T UPDATE thing.
That ignore button is a very valuable tool to have in your hand.
Whenever I see the word “required” any where near the word “update”,
I just laugh.

I don't think that this is a problem at all. If m starts after second try they are just fine. If you do a compass calibration it would fly. I wuld be warried only of the battery. Staying more than 1y not touching it is a pretty long time. Try that with the car.

We don't know where the attempt to fly is being made .. we have no information to really go on.

People please stop advising calibrate etc. It is highly unlikely that storage has created any calibration problems.

ReginaM ... please charge up battery, phone / tablet and controller fully. Go outside well away from metal / roads / houses / buildings etc. Best is an open field.

Power up in sequence ... Phone / Tablet - then Controller - then AC ...

Make sure you have link between them all ... I believe you have Phantom 3 4K ...

Once all is powered up - wait to see P-GPS on top line of screen ... once you see that - TAP the Take-off on screen or use the controller to launch ..

IF you have a warning - if Compass - then power down ... move a few meters and try again ...
If no joy - only warnings then power down, make note of the warning and come back here to tell us ...

I assume you HAVE READ the manual ??

We don't know where the attempt to fly is being made .. we have no information to really go on.

People please stop advising calibrate etc. It is highly unlikely that storage has created any calibration problems.

ReginaM ... please charge up battery, phone / tablet and controller fully. Go outside well away from metal / roads / houses / buildings etc. Best is an open field.

Make sure you have link between them all ... I believe you have Phantom 3 4K ...

Once all is powered up - wait to see P-GPS on top line of screen ... once you see that - TAP the Take-off on screen or use the controller to launch ..

IF you have a warning - if Compass - then power down ... move a few meters and try again ...
If no joy - only warnings then power down, make note of the warning and come back here to tell us ...

Ooooohhhhh good advice but if I had a compass error that's where most would start to troubleshoot,calibrate to try fix,,isn't that why it's there,,,,if I sat in closet for a year I would want calibrating

Ooooohhhhh good advice but if I had a compass error that's where most would start to troubleshoot,calibrate to try fix,,isn't that why it's there,,,,if I sat in closet for a year I would want calibrating

I ask what is basic difference from sitting in closet to that of sitting in a case on a bench or whatever waiting next flight ? Just because its not used for a length of time ? As long as battery was not left in it - what could be wrong ?

I also say we have no idea where test flown ... could have been on patio ... veranda ... on the lawn with cables and pipes under .... on the front drive or road ...

That is why I suggest getting to a 'clear area' and then check it out. IF the warning appears more than once after powering down ... moving .. powering up etc. - THEN yes - calibrate.

As to 2x to start motors ... I'm wondering if thats to do with time for IMU to initialise (first IMU is not completed - then on second try - IMU is initialised) .. and why I mention waiting for P-GPS ....

Hi.The drone lay for 1.5 years in the closet. When I try to start the engines, the drone refuses to do this. The drone starts the engines only the second time. After take-off almost immediately, the drone shows a compass error. I don’t know what happened. He lay in the closet and no one touched him. Has anyone had a similar situation?
If you launch near something large and metal, you can get a compass calibration error. Go to an OPEN field and try again. If it does the same, simply calibrate the compass. You should be fine. DON'T UPDATE anything!!

Don't update anything until you get this sorted out.

If you do, you'll just be introducing an extra set of unknown variables. You likely have a battery problem and/or the quad was stored or came close to a magnet.

And in Go app, go to About, and record all version numbers - now.
v1.11.20

Any warnings or prompts come up during first try at start,,take note if any,,,otherwise go through check all settings ,calibrate compass and imu and remote sticks and retry,,,,bound to be update but that's optional to you unless forced into it by app,,
Calibrate all sensors tomorrow and try again

I don't think that this is a problem at all. If m starts after second try they are just fine. If you do a compass calibration it would fly. I wuld be warried only of the battery. Staying more than 1y not touching it is a pretty long time. Try that with the car.
There are no battery errors. All banks are in excellent condition.

Yes, I read it. I always do it in the sequence that you wrote

Look at the sensor graph in the app to see what the imu and compass readings are showing. That’s usually a good guide. If the aircraft is having an issue on one or both of those two components of the system, it will be visible there.
Calibrations are not listed as a cure all in the manual.
Hope you get it solved.

Look at the sensor graph in the app to see what the imu and compass readings are showing. That’s usually a good guide. If the aircraft is having an issue on one or both of those two components of the system, it will be visible there.
Calibrations are not listed as a cure all in the manual.
Hope you get it solved.
Imu in the normal state.
The compass is in the red zone and for some reason calibration does not help. After calibrating all the sensors, the problem did not disappear. I am thinking of replacing the compass. ???

There may be a process to deal with the compass. I’m not the expert on the cause and effect, but someone else may have some knowledge.
There are some concerns regarding magnets that may have been too close to the aircraft, whether that is the cause here, I can’t answer. By demagnetizing the compass, again, don’t know, as I’ve never had that issue. If someone else has better info, please chime in.

There may be a process to deal with the compass. I’m not the expert on the cause and effect, but someone else may have some knowledge.
There are some concerns regarding magnets that may have been too close to the aircraft, whether that is the cause here, I can’t answer. By demagnetizing the compass, again, don’t know, as I’ve never had that issue. If someone else has better info, please chime in.
My drone was repaired in the service. I waited only 1 day. They said that they demagnetized the compass. I paid only 3 dollars for the work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31