Solution needed: DJI Goggles easily fall off when flipped up

Reaction score
Someday the first generation DJI goggles are going to be as laughable as this robot phrenologist thing.

phrenology3.jpg

The view inside is incredible, but they're ridiculously heavy and cumbersome. (Would it have helped to put the battery in a separate belt pack?)

I've figured out the adjustments needed to make the goggles fairly comfortable (not too much weight on the bridge of my nose), but when I fully flip the goggles up to see my P4P+ controller the goggles are totally imbalanced and ready to fall off my head. Even after tightening the rear head crusher knob the goggles are precariously perched atop my head. It's like trying to concentrate on flying while balancing a stack of dinner plates on your head.

How about a strap that connects to the rear head cushion assy and then extends down around front like some sort of chinstrap? Or maybe a single strap could travel down your back and connect to your belt like snap-on suspenders do?

Something's
needed to counteract the weight of the video assembly -- and please no more weight!

Actually, if you look at the picture of the robot phrenology thing it looks like it's suspended from a boom stand. Maybe the pilot could stand under a lighting or mic boom and use some sort of counterweighted pulley mechanism to raise and lower the goggles onto his or her head. Or (drawing from Steadicam design) perhaps the pilot could wear a girdle-like thing around his chest, with an attached upright tube in back that extends up and over his head towards the front (like a boom), and the goggles are suspended from the boom.

I'm no engineer.

All I know is that these goggles are too expensive (and fun) to let just drop to the ground (and perhaps get stepped on), so I hope some bright mechanical engineer, tinkerer, or artist comes up with a fix, and quick.

Reactions: rstekeur
I'm going to make some kind of belt hook for when I take them off, or perhaps something like a DSLR strap around your neck. Mine will stay on flipped up if I don't do to much jerking around.

I'm going to make some kind of belt hook for when I take them off, or perhaps something like a DSLR strap around your neck. Mine will stay on flipped up if I don't do to much jerking around.

Thank you for your reply @rstekeur . My goggles stay flipped up, too, but I feel like Carmen Miranda must've felt when she needed to look down at her feet.
PXvi6uW.jpg

As a temp fix I cut one of the back straps out of some elastic suspenders, wrapped the cut end around the Goggles' rear cushion assy, closed the loop with a safety pin, and snapped the other end of the suspender strap to my shorts. It seems to work fine thought I hope I don't get a wedgie during a critical shot.

Reactions: Pharm
Some people are just SO uncreative around here! It doesn't take an engineer or rocket scientist to figure this out, guys! It's really simple. A few loops of duct tape around the old noggin and voila! Jeez! ;)

My suspender idea works great. Whether the goggles are in viewing position or flipped up, they feel secure on my head without being tight in any way. I'm going to have a local seamstress add a snap or two to the cut end that wraps around the rear cushion assy.

My suspender idea works great. Whether the goggles are in viewing position or flipped up, they feel secure on my head without being tight in any way. I'm going to have a local seamstress add a snap or two to the cut end that wraps around the rear cushion assy.
Great how about some pics?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen