Advice needed for P4 using DJI Goggles and iPad

Reaction score
I have a phantom 4. I recently purchased DJI goggles and successfully connected it to my P4. While the FPV flying is a LOT of fun, I was a little disappointed about the head tracking not working. But DJI promises a firmware mod that will correct this issue. My question is, what is the best way of connecting up both the goggles and my iPad so they can be used at the same time? I would like to give friends the first person view of flying while I am controlling the Drone from the RC controller and my iPad. I have not made any modifications to my P4 or controller. No jailbreaks. No hacks. No hdmi modules. Only the occasional firmware update from DJI. I do not want anything that is jailbreak or hack related as I believe these practices can cause more problems than they solve. Even though I have over 100 hours of flying time without a single major incident, I still consider myself a novice when it comes to upgrades (it took me 8 hours to successfully connect the Goggles to my controller). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you really want to see live streaming on both, tablet and goggles, you need to use hdmi port on goggles and to do that if your tablet doesn't have hdmi out port, you would need hdmi module on to your controller.

You should know that in such a case goggles are used as passive device just to act as a dumb monitor.

Edit: I noticed you are using iPad, in such a case you need additional hdmi module to achieve what you want.

what is the best way of connecting up both the goggles and my iPad so they can be used at the same time?
You could install the HDMI Output Module on your remote controller like this and connect the DJI Goggles to the HDMI output (which will allow DJI GO to be used at the same time). Or you could connect the DJI Goggles to a tablet that has an HDMI output (like the Nvidia Shield K1).

I have a phantom 4. I recently purchased DJI goggles and successfully connected it to my P4. While the FPV flying is a LOT of fun, I was a little disappointed about the head tracking not working.
Head tracking does work if you're running the current P4 firmware and the DJI Goggles are connected to the USB port on the P4 remote controller. However, you will not be able to use head tracking when connecting the goggles via HDMI.

Last edited:
If you really want to see live streaming on both, tablet and goggles, you need to use hdmi port on goggles and to do that if your tablet doesn't have hdmi out port, you would need hdmi module on to your controller.

You should know that in such a case goggles are used as passive device just to act as a dumb monitor.

Edit: I noticed you are using iPad, in such a case you need additional hdmi module to achieve what you want.
When I saw your post (before the edit), I remembered that I have a Lightning Digital AV Adapter which allows HDMI output and changing through the lightning port. Hooked everything up, but no data output on the lightning port. So after a little testing, I came back to this thread and saw your edit. Guess there is no other method to get the dual iPad/goggles to function properly. So I bit the bullet and ordered an HDMI module this evening. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
You could install the HDMI Output Module on your remote controller like this and connect the DJI Goggles to the HDMI output (which will allow DJI GO to be used at the same time). Or you could connect the DJI Goggles to a tablet that has an HDMI output (like the Nvidia Shield K1).

Head tracking does work if you're running the current P4 firmware and the DJI Goggles are connected to the USB port on the P4 remote controller. However, you will not be able to use head tracking when connecting the goggles via HDMI.
Thanks for the advice. I ordered the HDMI module this evening. Looks easy enough to install.

Also, while I was happy to hear that the latest firmware update fixes the head tracking issue with the goggles, I am also a bit nervous about this latest firmware upgrade. I have seen a lot of chatter about this new firmware release causing erratic flight and hovering. Head tracking is no good to me if I cannot achieve a stable flight. Since you are listed as an approved vendor, do you have any tips for me before I upgrade? So far, I have gathered that the SD card should be removed, then upgrade the RC first, and the drone second. Any other advice?

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the HDMI module this evening. Looks easy enough to install.

Also, while I was happy to hear that the latest firmware update fixes the head tracking issue with the goggles, I am also a bit nervous about this latest firmware upgrade. I have seen a lot of chatter about this new firmware release causing erratic flight and hovering. Head tracking is no good to me if I cannot achieve a stable flight. Since you are listed as an approved vendor, do you have any tips for me before I upgrade? So far, I have gathered that the SD card should be removed, then upgrade the RC first, and the drone second. Any other advice?
Also, I have two batteries, if that makes a difference.

Once you insert the 2nd battery he might need to update it's firmware, IF he did for 1st battery. You better doing battery swap and power on at home to see if update required, before going to the field.

Strange, generally it's the craft to be updated first..

I'm waiting for next firmware fix as too bad reported macarena/nervous flight behaviors. Also not trustable warning messages sent at craft boot (or very first minutes) such as calibration needed or annoying high wind speed detection.

As per reported issues I have seen so far since I have not updated/experienced myself.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT