So what makes them so special that they are above the rules?

Eventually the corporations will try to run us all out of the air as we will be deemed to be a safety hazard to their BVLOS flights to deliver doodads.
That should come right after they lobby to make it too expensive for us dregs, then whoever can afford to stay in the air after that will be a “safety hazard”.

Totally agree on that, yes anything can happen beyond there view etc ,crash,bird strike ,malfunction of craft,,auto landing might become problem from those clever battery's,,,guaranteed there be a news story every night on drone collision or injury,,yip $$$$$$ game here too, and domino's has good track record,,,I like pizza but not on the roof,,look at this chaps faceView attachment 110847
Looks exactly like Walter White, the high school chemistry teacher, turned meth drug king, from Breaking Bad! Meth business must be bad! ;)
08A9CA87-3F37-41F1-BD00-0931FC118EDD.jpeg

4B674CEE-863A-49DE-AD6F-ACBC91F720FA.jpeg

Last edited:
There are certain areas of the country where this will be easy to impliment and other very large areas where it will be logistically very difficult or impossible to put inti operation. Beyond that I'm guessing there will be issues like weather that are going to seriously limit the availability of this type of service. The media might give the impression that mass drone delivery is right around the corner. In my opinion it's just barely left the driveway.

Totally agree on that, yes anything can happen beyond there view etc ,crash,bird strike ,malfunction of craft,,auto landing might become problem from those clever battery's,,,guaranteed there be a news story every night on drone collision or injury,,yip $$$$$$ game here too, and domino's has good track record,,,I like pizza but not on the roof,,look at this chaps faceView attachment 110847

A bit off topic... Walter White's house is .3 miles from my house. I've never been there.

D

Are people seriously comparing your untrained flying skills or lack of to the corporations and educated flight crews flying these programmed mission. It’s no different then saying you can race a car in the Indy 500 cause you drive to work everyday. As a licensed pilot and instructor I’m looking forward to the day you have to present your FAA license before you can even buy a drone.

“Flying skills”...yes, many folks on this list may have better flying skills than a “corporation’s educated” (my phrasing) flight crews. Better educated, we would hope yes, your students would/should be better educated.

Personally I've just started flying. I'm self taught. I understand Iam a liability Ina sense. I don't ever fly vlos. I think some of these comments are on the right tract. Unfortunately some Imo are way off. With the prices of any quality drone already out of the general public's price point, these rules just drive the prices even higher, and will definitely kill the hobby side of flying. My hopes are when this anti collision technology is released it is to the public at no or a low cost. The reality is flying a UAV will be restricted to death. The courier market looks like a growing niche for now( I'd rather not have an organ delivered by drone thanks). Big buisness with there lobbyist, will get what they want and by taking or pricing the drones out of our range it will give Amazon google etc etc, the monopoly in drone delivery services. As I said I'm new to this hobby, but I'm an experienced rc plane pilot. I can easily go anywhere with enough room to fly my rc plane but am not allowed in them same places to fly my drone. Why? I've never flown more than 100 feet high with my drone but my plane at least 500feet. Really what is the government so afraid of? Seems the commercial pilots can't avoid crashing there airplane without a drone collision. I'm all for safety but not to out price the actual law abiding hobbiests. Just my rant. Till then I'll take my chances and fly when and where I feel like it. Not a single person I've met hasn't stopped to admire my drone while in the air it always attracts a smiling crowd so far anyways.
Regards Don

They are probably certifying their drones to regulators, that's what makes a world of difference. Compare that to DJI phantoms which fall from the sky like stones and yet nobody except DJI knows why.

They are probably certifying their drones to regulators, that's what makes a world of difference. Compare that to DJI phantoms which fall from the sky like stones and yet nobody except DJI knows why.
The drone knows why, and records it. Find the drone, and everyone will know why. It's almost always pilot error of some sort.

The drone knows why, and records it. Find the drone, and everyone will know why. It's almost always pilot error of some sort.

I am talking about battery failures and the fact that DJI keeps silent about why they fail, how many are failing and what it is doing to fix it. Regulators are never going to accept that for drones working on demanding enviroments. Certification of drones and its safety systems is what makes the difference, nothing else.

Last edited:
I am talking about battery failures and the fact that DJI keeps silent about why they fail, how many are failing and what it is doing to fix it. Regulators are never going to accept that for drones working on demanding enviroments. Certification of drones and its safety systems is what makes the difference, nothing else.
Battery failures in flight are extremely rare, as well. You need to make up your mind.
First, you stated, "Compare that to DJI phantoms which fall from the sky like stones and yet nobody except DJI knows why." Not only does that statement assume facts not in evidence (that DJI phantoms fall from the sky like stones) now you are contradicting the original statement that "nobody except DJI knows why" claiming YOU know why, and YOU have decided that it is battery failures, with no evidence to back up either contention. You haven't recovered the drone. Until you do, pilot error still cannot be ruled out, and you are merely speculating about everything. Let's keep it real.

Reactions: sar104 and N017RW
As I said I'm new to this hobby, but I'm an experienced rc plane pilot. I can easily go anywhere with enough room to fly my rc plane but am not allowed in them same places to fly my drone.
(emphasis added)

Can you give an example?

There is no longer a distinction in the USA.

Drone = (r/c)model aircraft = UAS

Is a UAS the same as a model aircraft?
Published 12/10/2018 11:28 AM | Updated 12/10/2018 11:28 AM
Congress defined a "model aircraft" as a UAS that meets all of the following:
  • Is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • Is flown within visual line-of-sight of the person operating it
  • Is flown for hobby or recreational purposes

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
(emphasis added)

Can you give an example?

There is no longer a distinction in the USA.

Drone = (r/c)model aircraft = UAS

Published 12/10/2018 11:28 AM | Updated 12/10/2018 11:28 AM
Congress defined a "model aircraft" as a UAS that meets all of the following:
  • Is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • Is flown within visual line-of-sight of the person operating it
  • Is flown for hobby or recreational purposes
I'm in Canada and I actually never meant the laws but we have a big park here called riverside and I went to fly my plane one day and was approached by a couple of city workers. The first thing they asked me was if I was gonna fly a drone. I said yes. They then told Me I was not allowed to fly a drone. So I asked what about my plane? I was told my plane is fine just not drones. I assume it's because of the camera. So I flew my plane without a peep from them but no drones I'm in southern Ontario we still have some freedom as we don't have to register our drones as long as there under 250gr and it's for pleasure not commercial.

And my manual says the drone weighs. 5 lbs so that's 112 grams there abouts all I'm required to do is put my Nam eand address on the bird so if something happened they can still hold me liable also can't be less than 9 km as the crow flies from any hospital or air port

I'm in Canada and I actually never meant the laws but we have a big park here called riverside and I went to fly my plane one day and was approached by a couple of city workers. The first thing they asked me was if I was gonna fly a drone. I said yes. They then told Me I was not allowed to fly a drone. So I asked what about my plane? I was told my plane is fine just not drones. I assume it's because of the camera. So I flew my plane without a peep from them but no drones I'm in southern Ontario we still have some freedom as we don't have to register our drones as long as there under 250gr and it's for pleasure not commercial.

OK then.

Your location was not stated in your I.D.

Off-topic- Why not add Canada?

Beyond the rules? If it’s anything like the trial running here in Australia they will have obtained special approval from the air safety regulators.
Beyond the rules? If it’s anything like the trial running here in Australia they will have obtained special approval from the air safety regulators.
What is this @mopa9000? Monkey see Monkey do?

OK then.

Your location was not stated in your I.D.

Off-topic- Why not add Canada?
I thought I did it is there now sorry for any confusion. I mean it's only a matter of time for us to have the kinda reg that you guys down south have. Maybe there more lax here duee to less dense population 80 % of this country is basically unexplored land. Also I figure that our flying season is much shorter. I know the northern states have the same short season but the regs I assume just blanket your whole country. Don't get me wrong I'm all for safety buy to need another license is ludacris. I already have licences for heavy equipment a drivers licence, motorcycle licence, boat licence and now they want to make me pay more money to fly my drone. If was truly all about safety then like my boat licence I would never have to renew it. But it is what it is. How many times do I need to prove that I'm already capable of piloting anything. Iam self taught and you would not believe the money I've gone thru to train myself to be a good pilot. What they need to start licencing is ppl having babies. Stupid breeds stupid. Or say a test to determine simple common sense if you can pass that then feel free to pilot anything if you can't pass the test your thrown into the sea. There cracking donw on our pleasure craft while planes are being piloted by stupidity. Planes ceases every week the last couple by supposed experienced poliots licenced by there government regulations and licences mean about as much as most ppl's word does nowadays. Is all a cash grab by our governments and big buisness who posses all the money.
Sorry just a maddining rant. I'm done now. Lol time for a nice relaxing flight around my neighbour hood

I thought I did it is there now sorry for any confusion. I mean it's only a matter of time for us to have the kinda reg that you guys down south have. Maybe there more lax here duee to less dense population 80 % of this country is basically unexplored land. Also I figure that our flying season is much shorter. I know the northern states have the same short season but the regs I assume just blanket your whole country. Don't get me wrong I'm all for safety buy to need another license is ludacris. I already have licences for heavy equipment a drivers licence, motorcycle licence, boat licence and now they want to make me pay more money to fly my drone. If was truly all about safety then like my boat licence I would never have to renew it. But it is what it is. How many times do I need to prove that I'm already capable of piloting anything. Iam self taught and you would not believe the money I've gone thru to train myself to be a good pilot. What they need to start licencing is ppl having babies. Stupid breeds stupid. Or say a test to determine simple common sense if you can pass that then feel free to pilot anything if you can't pass the test your thrown into the sea. There cracking donw on our pleasure craft while planes are being piloted by stupidity. Planes ceases every week the last couple by supposed experienced poliots licenced by there government regulations and licences mean about as much as most ppl's word does nowadays. Is all a cash grab by our governments and big buisness who posses all the money.
Sorry just a maddining rant. I'm done now. Lol time for a nice relaxing flight around my neighbour hood
Grizzling about licensing fees is understandable- premiums for liability coverage are a necessary evil though. You would be well advised to ensure you have the appropriate level of insurance coverage and operate in strict accordance with any conditions before flying around your neighbourhood. Its all great fun until something goes wrong. Its not mentioned often however to the extent these licensing and regulation proposals are genuinely concerned with safety and managing consequence the insurance issue will have to come into it at some point.

Battery failures in flight are extremely rare, as well.

Well, do you have any hard data to support your opinion? The fact is you have the same than I do, none. If you take look at DJI forums, every two or three days a new thread pops up about a mid flight power shut down and those are the ones that get reported in forums, they are probably many more unreported, out of warranty, etc. Also we have the related problem of charred battery connections which also shows up here and in DJI forums quite often. I believe that P4P battery problems are quite widespread and it is behind DJI stock issues and discontinuation of the P4P line but I don't have data to support my opinions. If I made a SORA based study to certify a certain operation to my country regulator, I can not tell why my P4P batteries could fail, how many or which batch is failing and what is DJI doing to fix it. Therefore, the regulator won't allow me to operate in demanding enviroments. That's the difference between my drone and the ones talked about by the OP.

For the serius aviation industry, "extremely rare" is an useless concept. If a drone used by a company doing deliveries in an urban area does a mid flight power shut down, it does not matter that the ocurrence could be "extremely rare", they will have to prepare a ton of papers publicly explaining why it failed, how many or which ones are affected by the design error and what they will do to fix it, if they want to keep flying.

Last edited:
Well, do you have any hard data to support your opinion? The fact is you have the same than I do, none. If you take look at DJI forums, every two or three days a new thread pops up about a mid flight power shut down and those are the ones that get reported in forums, they are probably many more unreported, out of warranty, etc. Also we have the related problem of charred battery connections which also shows up here and in DJI forums quite often. I believe that P4P battery problems are quite widespread and it is behind DJI stock issues and discontinuation of the P4P line but I don't have data to support my opinions. If I made a SORA based study to certify a certain operation to my country regulator, I can not tell why my P4P batteries could fail, how many or which batch is failing and what is DJI doing to fix it. Therefore, the regulator won't allow me to operate in demanding enviroments. That's the difference between my drone and the ones talked about by the OP.

For the serius aviation industry, "extremely rare" is an useless concept. If a drone used by a company doing deliveries in an urban area does a mid flight power shut down, it does not matter that the ocurrence could be "extremely rare", they will have to prepare a ton of papers publicly explaining why it failed, how many or which ones are affected by the design error and what they will do to fix it, if they want to keep flying.
I've been contributing and reading here since 2015, and have personally logged over 30,000,000 feet, during over 900 flights, on dozens of DJI aircraft, and have never personally had a battery failure in flight, and our almost 100,000 members are not plagued by battery failures. Such reports are extremely rare, and often are unverified conclusions used to justify what was really pilot error, when the aircraft has not been recovered, which would have established the true cause of a crash. YMMV.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj