So any way to prevent video file split at 4gb?

Let me be more clear. You can format the SD card FAT, FAT32 and exFAT. However, the _firmware_ only supports 4GB files. The _firmware_ is the limiting factor. Formatting has nothing to do with this. The firmware limits the file size to the lowest format possible which is FAT.
The firmware knows that the largest file it can create under the "lowest" capable OS it supports is 4 GB and so it splits there. This is very common and not special or unique to DJIs implementation. FAT splits at 2 GB. (You can't format a SD card of capacity larger than 2 GB with FAT, must be FAT32). The Phantoms only support two formats, FAT32 and ExFAT.
(I'm just learning "drone" but a 35 year IT guru)

This may be informative:
NTFS.com. NTFS vs FAT vs exFAT

Last edited:
i suspect two things going on: the P3 doesn't have as much pressing power as the P4 and the SDCard is either too slow and/or formatted with fat32 instead of ExFAT

I recommend putting the card in a PC and formatting it there using ExFAT, then using it in the drone which will take advantage of its special performance enhancements for streaming movie data and flash drive boundary alignment.

4gig = 9min 4K vid??
9min is a long time with aerial footage. If it was a P2 with a gopro 4 I would understand (as you cant start and stop once in the air), but a P3Pro/P4 has a stop start button on the controller.
Do people really shoot one continuous footage from take off to landing??
I usually start stop every time to reframe a shot and this helps with editing if I want to crop a segment.

I personally try to film everything since a) you never know when you'll accidentally catch something great and b) you never know when you'll accidentally crash something fierce and maybe the recording will help (assuming you can recover).

Also, I'm still blown away by the ability to actually take video from the air so every second of footage is a novelty for me. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj