Smartphone, tablet, Apple or Android

Reaction score
What is recommended for the best compatibility. Do Apple products or Android work better with the App. Does a smaller tablet make more sense than a larger one for mobility. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a P3A and want to get a sense of what else I will need and what works best. Thanks. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone which does real well in bright sunlight.

I have P3A just a week, Im on Apple side and did use iphone 6plus and ipad mini. I found iphone 6 plus works the best for me. So 5.5' screen works Ok for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the app the most maddening part of the whole experience. I find biggest screen is best after much experience, and some people have had luck with Android app (I haven't) but I haven't heard positive experiences so much on Samsung devices, I could be wrong, no personal experience. As for Apple, the only suitable device is the iPad Air 2 preferably with LTE. I found some really good deals on used ones from Cowboom (Best Buy company) that pop up every now if cost is a concern.
Regardless of poor app versioning at times, the P3 platform with Lightbridge is about as full proof you will get in drone experience minus a collision avoidance system.

Good luck!

I'd advise an Android tablet, as it allows for more features. I'd go for a non primary phone for your device. I know apps like Litchi have more features in Android than iOS versions.

Reactions: Jtrjr
What is recommended for the best compatibility. Do Apple products or Android work better with the App. Does a smaller tablet make more sense than a larger one for mobility. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a P3A and want to get a sense of what else I will need and what works best. Thanks. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone which does real well in bright sunlight.
There's no clear leader .. it all comes down to personal choice.

Reactions: Vichian-Bruno
Leojay, you can find a list of recommended tablets here.

Haha, I had a nightmare with the tablet thing.... utter disaster! I came close to selling the quad over it.
I tried an android phone, and android tablet(acer icona), both were crashing midflight. ive since gotten an ipadmini2 from amazon for 215$ and have not had a tablet issue since.

Reactions: Edward Lyons
Wow thank you all for the advice. Owning a Macbook Pro laptop you would think I would have an iPhone, but while Apple computers blow away Windows machines, I find the Samsung S6 phone far superior to any iPhone in many aspects, photo quality, screen brightness, functionality, etc. Whatever tablet I end up with will be dedicated to flying so all I need is a bright screen and smooth running compatibility with the DJI app, now what is this Litchi? It's it supported by DJI?

what is this Litchi? It's it supported by DJI?
Litchi is a commonly used alternative to DJI GO. It's not supported by DJI since it's made by a 3rd party.

Reactions: Fir3b1rd
I will stick with the DJI app for now, just looked up the definition of Litchi, in Chinese it means "lost bird"..just kidding

Reactions: Fir3b1rd
Wow thank you all for the advice. Owning a Macbook Pro laptop you would think I would have an iPhone, but while Apple computers blow away Windows machines, I find the Samsung S6 phone far superior to any iPhone in many aspects, photo quality, screen brightness, functionality, etc. Whatever tablet I end up with will be dedicated to flying so all I need is a bright screen and smooth running compatibility with the DJI app, now what is this Litchi? It's it supported by DJI?
Haha!!! I couldn't help but respond.
I was a card carrying member of the apple fanclub since the iPhone 3gs. UNTIL last year when I needed to use AutoCAD inventor and it wouldn't run on my mac. since then I slowly drifted into a full windows atmosphere. then I bought the quad a few weeks later. I was so mad at myself for ditching the Snapple stuff.

my experiences with android devices have not been good, got rid of them all in the end.

I have an iPhone 6 plus now which works great and for me the right size.

I did try a non plus and found that too small.

I have an iPad air 2 and a Android Nexus 6p. They both work fine but I have found the 6p to be best for me. The iPad is just a bit unwieldy for me in the holder and the 6p works flawless and gives me better mobility.

Reactions: bebeloneovvl
Haha, I had a nightmare with the tablet thing.... utter disaster! I came close to selling the quad over it.
I tried an android phone, and android tablet(acer icona), both were crashing midflight. ive since gotten an ipadmini2 from amazon for 215$ and have not had a tablet issue since.
Glad I read this post.

I am a HUGE Android fan and have also always HATED Apple products but I did end up with a iPad Air 2 with LTE for flying my P3P. Plane and simple it just works better. The screen is amazing with no glare, I don't even need a hood in the brightest sunlight.

Just go with Android, it is way better. I have 2 tablets and have made videos to show them. Still waiting for the rotten apple clan to make comparison videos for us all to see. They all talk like apples are the greatest but they never show you the facts. The 10" Ellipsis tablet was $100.00 on sale with data, gps, all included at no extra charge. Nvidia Shield is a great tablet as well and both work perfectly. Why pay more for less?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ya know what..to the mods...how many times do we have to go round and round with platform bashing? This adds nothing to the conversation other than pissing people off.

So you like android! Well bully for you, I happen to think its its inferior in many ways, but I try to stick facts. So you don't like Apple. Well, I like getting OS updates more than once in a blue moon (or probably never in the case of the Ellipsis). I also prefer a more secure platform, that has a better selection of apps. I also prefer better build quality and better integration with my other systems.

You keep prattling on about us Apple folks posting videos? What exactly do you want to see? Everything works just fine? Do you want a flight recorded so you can see that yes, it really does work? What is that going to prove?

Let's look at some facts.

So your Ellipsis screen is 1920x1080, giving you 2.07 million pixels. The screen on the iPad Air 2, at 9.7 inches, is 2048x1536. That gives me 3.15 million pixels. 50% more pixels. Also, in terms of pixel density, it's 224 vs 264 per inch.

In terms of OS, per the Verizon web site, you are stuck on 5.1 lollipop, circa 2014. More than likely it will never see an OS upgrade, and if it does, it will be years behind. Oh wait...you did get a Lollipop patch back in March of this year. Looks like your only OS update EVER in the 9 months since it was introduced. Too bad it was released with Lollipop and not Marshmallow. My guess is it will never see Marshmallow. But that's one of the clearly superior aspects of Android ownership. Never really having to worry about pesky OS upgrades.

You may like the Ellipsis 10, but looking at the reviews over on Verizon's web site, not too many folks feel the same way. Here is the link for anyone considering this clearly superior product...

Verizon Ellipsis 10 | Verizon Wireless

Reviews on Amazon are no better, with 55% rating it 1 star.

The Air 2 has been out for about the same amount of time as Lollipop...but guess what? I'm running the latest iOS, and will be fully supported by iOS 10 when it comes out in another month or so. You will still be enjoying your 3 year old OS when that happens.

The display on the iPad Air 2 is one of the most color accurate displays out there, which is important to me as I do a fair amount of photo work on it. The Elipsis....well, it's a throw away...no one in the tech world has really bothered to review it. My guess is that's it's color reproduction is mediocre or perhaps a little above average. Gizmodo, as well as many others, have rated the display on the iPad Air 2 one of the best out there. Here is Gizmodo's take: http://gizmodo.com/the-ipad-pros-display-is-great-but-not-the-greatest-1742773796.

I could go on, but I've put enough FACTS out there for others to consider. Yep, I paid more for the Air2. But I use it for a lot more than just flying my Phantom. Why? Because I can.

You wanna post crap like your cute little juvenile pic of the Android logo pissing on an Apple, go right ahead. Cause that's all you really have. You have no real facts to back up your assertions that it's better than an Apple product. Face it. You don't like two things. First, that it's a closed environment. Second, that it's a more expensive product. To which I say, I'll take a system with demonstrably fewer viruses and malware, with a much bigger application base. Oh yeah, and one that gets regular OS upgrades and patches. You get what you pay for. Just because you don't see the value does not mean it does not exist.

I just really wish that guys like you would discuss the facts without being so juvenile. And what kills me is that everyone seems to think only Apple fanboys exist. Your baseless assertions while attacking Apple is the epitome of being a fanboy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: With The Birds
Just go with Android, it is way better. I have 2 tablets and have made videos to show them. Still waiting for the rotten apple clan to make comparison videos for us all to see. They all talk like apples are the greatest but they never show you the facts. The 10" Ellipsis tablet was $100.00 on sale with data, gps, all included at no extra charge. Nvidia Shield is a great tablet as well and both work perfectly. Why pay more for less?
View attachment 63767

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

C'mon guys... Some people are Android fans... some are Apple fans... Let's please cool it with the bashing. No need...

Thanks...
-slinger

I have an iMac, use an iPhone 6 while in the U.S., use an iPhone 5s in Europe and have an iPad. Exclusively Windows at work.

My experience with the iPad has been meh, so for the DJI app I elected to go with an Android tablet, the Nividia Shield K1. Very slick and fast device, and relatively inexpensive. I am impressed with the Android interface (6.01 Marshmallow) as implemented by Nividia, not sure they are all the same.

I initially used my iPad Air but being too big & expensive to carry around in the DJI backpack I just bought a much cheaper 8" Asus Zen pad 8 Z380M.

It works remarkably well, only the low screen resolution results in less details being visible on the screen while flying.

Regards,
Sylvain

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic