Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

Have just finished a Phantom paint project. Came across a couple of photos of F-16's that were based at a Texas Air Guard base near Houston. I really liked the color/marking schemes and thought I would give it a try. They have now converted over to drones. How ironic!! I used House of Kolor automotive spray paints and had no issues with paint peeling when the tape masks were removed. Decals stayed down very nicely, then everything was clear coated. Phantom has the H3-3D gimbal, AVl 58 tx, mini iosd, fpv hub, extended landing skids. I take the gray props off when I fly just in case there might be a balance issue with the light coat of paint on the tips. Was a tedious project and glad it's over. As with any project, if I had to do it over, I would do things a little different. But it is what it is.

Attachments

• ACE 4.jpg
    ACE 4.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,155
  • ACE 3.jpg
    ACE 3.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 1,411
  • ACE 2.jpg
    ACE 2.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 978
  • ACE 6.jpg
    ACE 6.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 909
Reactions: GMayberry
Here is the second F-16 and the quad doing an engine "run-up".

Attachments

• ACE 5.jpg
    ACE 5.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 1,790
  • ACE 7.jpg
    ACE 7.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 781
bpatty said:
I take the gray props off when I fly just in case there might be a balance issue with the light coat of paint on the tips.
I think you'll be OK with the painted tips... This guy did it on an original Phantom and flys it...

You did a nice neat Paint Job and Decals by the way...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8YVLF0YyM[/youtube]

Thanks, appreciate your comment about my paint job, and for the YouTube video. Painted tips do seem fine. Nice video effects with the various shutter speeds.

Just finished installing my custom-made full [top] body sticker for my Phantom 2.

Then I realized how less elaborate mines looks compared to everyone else in this thread. :lol:

2cz5z42.jpg

Special shout-out and thank you to Chad of roccitydesign.com for designing and turning what I visioned into reality. If you're interested on a custom design for your Phantom, I'd send him an e-mail to [email protected]. He replies back fairly quick (about a day or less) and the turn-around from payment, to proof approval for printing, and to shipping to my doorstep took around a ten days or so but YMMV cause I was a little picky after I saw the first proof. I kinda suggest that you want to get all your descriptions, logos, ideas, etc all in one e-mail for this guy for a faster turnaround. :lol:

Have had some questions about the paint process on another forum so I will give it a try to explain what I did. Whenever I would use "rattle" cans for painting plastic models, and not an airbrush, paint build up is an issue. With that in mind, I was very impressed with the House Of Kolor paint in spray cans. (which you can also use with an airbrush as it is available in 4 oz bottles.) I did mask off and paint some practice shots on small plastic sheets to get a feel on how it covered and if it reacted to the plastic in any way. (bubbled up, didn't dry right, etc.) Mainly, I wanted to see how the paint and masking tape acted together. Was very pleased when I removed the pretend masking pattern. The tape just peeled right up without tearing at any of the seams and at the edge of the paint/tape joint there was no "lip". The paint, when applied in light misty coats, builds up to a nice color and is the way to go.

Then the next test was to see how the clear coat reacted with the decals. Again over a House of Kolor base paint with a clear coat applied, I put down 2-3 spare decals, let them dry, and sprayed a clear coat over them. After an overnight drying time, I again was very pleased as the clear coat did not react with the decals. No wrinkling or running of the decal ink colors. So I was set as to what I was going to use to paint my Phantom. Now if I could just get everything to come together.

I guess my biggest disappointment was that I tested everything out first, but didn't think about testing the solutions that I use when applying decals to plastic models. That is a 2 part process of using a "softener" first, placing the decals down, then using a "setting" solution. The softener is great to enable the decal to conform to compound surfaces. What I didn't think of is that the softener reacted slightly with the first few decals that I applied and the edges turned out a little wavy. Can't tell if House Of Kolor played a part or not. From then on I didn't use either of the solutions and the decals were fine.

With all of this being said, I was glad I gave it a try and did this paint job. Would I do it again? That's a "yes" and a "no". I would really like to see if I could come up with another color scheme, but at the same time, when I am out flying, I am more concerned about crashing and messing up the paint job. Which isn't a bad thing, but I can tell that I'm flying more conservatively than before. I guess regardless of flying more conservatively, I DO want to attempt it again!

Thanks to EVERYONE for all of your very kind comments. It's very humbling!

Attachments

• ACE 5.jpg
    ACE 5.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 840
bpatty said:
Thanks to EVERYONE for all of your very kind comments. It's very humbling!

You did an excellent job, it's well deserved!

You know, I bet there's an Air Force recruiting office or two near you that would LOVE to be able to make use of that, even just on occasion :)

Here is mine. I Hydro dipped the main body. Then actually painted the landing Gear.

Hopefully soon I can pick up a real gimble and some FPV gear.

bpatty said:
Very Nice. How did the Hydrodip process go? Any concerns?

Thanks.

No it was actually pretty easy. I bought the kit from my dipkit and I did it in my kitchen in a plastic bucket....lol. I plan on dipping other stuff soon.

Here some mods that Kirin beer in Japan did with their DJI Phantoms Vision+
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQLr65LUPw[/youtube]
That is how to give your drone some good looks.

Would be a great commercial for DJI Phantom Vision +

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT