Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Should I update?

Discussion in 'Firmware' started by Revomikey, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Revomikey

Hi guys, I haven't flown the p3a in about a year, I was on an old firmware then as the current one at that time messed up the screen and caused glitching, I rolled the firmware back and she was fine.

So, a year on, have things improved? Do I update to the latest firmware or stay with my now 18 month old firmware? Have DJI got it right?

2. ROD PAINTER

If it works ok don't fix it!!!!!!!!!! I fly a P3A and haven't updated anything in a year, not even my IOS TABLET.

captainmilehigh likes this.
  3. Fly Dawg

No. Don't touch it! If she still flies to your satisfaction there is nothing in an update that will improve that. I am still flying 1.8.8 with all the newest app updates and no issues. Although granted I fly exclusively with Litchi and only use GO for maintenance.

4. Phill2

I'm still on 1.8.0 with no probs but usually run Litchi these days.

5. Revomikey

Awesome thanks guys, I also only use litchi so hopefully when I charge her later today she flies well.

I agree with the sentiment though, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

infinite likes this.
  6. Revomikey

Well I charged her and popped her up above my house to test, no problems so thanks again guys.

I have one more question though, what preview quality do you use in litchi? I mostly fly fpv so want a decent down stream. Currently I think it's set to 4mb

I have a decent phone with a fast processor so it should take a decent flow of data

ianzone and infinite like this.
  7. Fly Dawg

Does Litchi have a setting for this? If so, I haven't been able to find it. ( Not that I have looked in great detail ). Best I recall GO does, but have not used it to fly in so long I do not remember for certain, but I do believe I had it set there for 4mb as well. Please refresh my memory as to where this setting is, unless it is only available for IOS. I fly with Android. Iv'e had no FPV issues.

8. Phill2

Litchi recommend 4mb

ianzone and Revomikey like this.
  9. u000gbk

THIS IS EXTREMELY SOUND ADVICE !!!!! Don't touch it if all is working without issues and you are happy with the results.

captainmilehigh likes this.
  10. u000gbk

I am still on firmware '509', released during the 1st QTR of 2017 and it still works perfectly !!! ... '509' is the last quality firmware update DJI released BEFORE all of the NO-FLY ZONE updates & the many 'feature' debacles following it ... some of the many logged issues may now be finally resolved (the jury is still out on that one) but there were so many horror stories as a result all of those jammed-in updates following '509', that it ruined my faith in any sound software regression testing practices being observed at DJI before any new release is sent out to the public.

If you own a DJI Drone, it is a significant $$ investment and the quality of the firmware controlling it is directly related to the successful safe operation and SURVIVAL of your drone ... so be wary of ANY updates until they have been well vetted by many other users over at least several months before even considering loading one in your expensive hardware.

Phill2 likes this.