Shall I do the DJI Fandango??

Reaction score
Might as well chuck in my moan now that I am worried with the posts about returned/ refurb/ swapped junk ~ cracked motor mount repairs! I have 2 Phantoms in first stages for RTA due to motor mount cracks. P3/4k bought end of last August '16 and a HAHAHA! "Refurb" P3Pro bought just back in January '17. It had (apparently) not been de-registered (still had some other name) so I am of the opinion that it was a returned "Open Box" unit that I got for the small saving in the price. This is Scotland so I have only had enough flying weather for a couple of days with the P3Pro, likewise little flying time with the P3/4k. WInter comes early and leaves late over here. The past week is really the first blink of warm sunshine this year.

No fast flying, crashes, hard landings or Top Gun sorties with seagulls. No long range flights as I'm still easing out by a couple of feet each flight. I check over and wipe down the Phantoms after every flight. Wipe off dead midges, grass etc. and leave them out of the backpacks and lined up in formation. I say formation because I have just taken delivery of a Phantom 4 which has only just been registered (by me) and batteries charged. No confidence in even turning it on.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the best investment of around £4,000 by the time all the extra accessories are counted in. (There are two P4's in the Squadron) I could have bought and ran a small (refurbished of course) run-around car for that.
Before I go through the famed DJI Customer Support Fandango and end up with someone elses battered Phantom junk instead of my own lightly used repaired units, does anyone know of a reputable UK Drone Service Agent or Genuine New Parts supplier. (Not e-bay private dismantled scrappers, I've had a quick look there.) I am/was a telecomms tech in a previous life so changing a body shell holds no fear. Do I just reject DJI 'Warranty" and pay for at least the P3Pro replacement shell before the motor and unit part company completely and go their own individual ways. I'm tempted by the under motor bracing plates once the Phantoms are fixed one way or another. I might try kill-drilling the crack, grind and resin bond.. Maybe!

Here are photos of the cracks, one minor on the P3/4k and 2 on each front arms on the Pro. The triple crack looks like it will shatter completely with little strain.

Sweary Words! Wonderful, the small crack on the P3/4k is propagating slowly through the other side (180 *) of the arrowed screw hole. So it is spreading!! Sweary Words!

Sigh!
Trio Cracks.jpg
Trio Cracks.jpg

That's crazy! I take very good care of my P3A like you do with the cleaning and everything... The difference between me and you is that I fly my phantom hard with fast turns and accelerations, but I've never had an issue with the shell cracking or anything for that matter.

I don't live in the UK, so I can't give you any recommendations, but if you have the time, you can actually buy the shell from DJI and replace it yourself with some youtube tutorials and reading.

Thanks Dylan, I might just try the DJI supplied shell route.
Once they arrive I'll give the pair of them a dam' good thrashing before changing the shells. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Reactions: Dylan DeBrakeleer
@Dylan, after careful consideration. I don't see why I should have to buy anything from anybody. The drone has developed a fault in manufacturer's material after a grand total of around 6 hours total flying time. I expected more for my £800. I would quite happily accept a new complimentary DJI supplied body shell. Ha! Flight Records do have their unintended but welcome uses. I was checking things in general and noticed that the Flight Records also give the name of the Phantom in the top left hand corner. The P3/4k showed that it had not been used much since buying the P3Pro. Not surprising as I bought it back in January. DJI do not recommend flying in Scottish blizzards. It does show the actual flights and other flight details.

The unexpected detail was that the "Pre-Refurbed" drone name showed in the list.

So if anyone who might be wondering where The Purple Pea P3Pro went after it was returned, it has been dumped on me!!

I will wait for a DJI reply then see about dumping the Pro3 back in the lap of Jessops. (Approved UK DJI agent.) I strongly urge anyone considering buying through Jessops to go elsewhere. I tried back in January to return and cancel because I was not satisfied that it had actually been refurbished. When I pointed out a couple of things that I was not happy with, I was practically accused of being a liar and chancer. Did you know that it was unheard of a DJI Drone being supplied with a SanDisk SD card! Only 16GB Lexar SD cards were supplied. The shop assistant knew this because he had bought a P4 and there was no SanDisk in it. From this he declared that I was 'mistaken'! This despite the fact that I already had the 3/4K with a SanDisk card ... bought brand new and sealed from .. ta-raaah! ~ Jessops! It took another hour of standing on my crutches waiting for the Manager to return from lunch. He was actually sitting in the back shop, feart to face an irate customer, hoping that I would give up and go away.

All this faffing about despite the fact that the SD card was causing some sort of issue. The P3P did work fine with my imaginary SanDisk card and the Lexar was proved corrupted and unreadable. Eventually I was grudgingly, out of the goodness of their heart, given a 32GB SanDisk. This was all I wanted, an exchange and pay the difference between 16GB and 32GB. I think they were just wanting rid of me and realised I was not budging. So gave me the 32GB and ushered me out the door.

As the saying goes ...I'll be back! :cool:

Reactions: Phil56
@Dylan, after careful consideration. I don't see why I should have to buy anything from anybody. The drone has developed a fault in manufacturer's material after a grand total of around 6 hours total flying time. I expected more for my £800. I would quite happily accept a new complimentary DJI supplied body shell. Ha! Flight Records do have their unintended but welcome uses. I was checking things in general and noticed that the Flight Records also give the name of the Phantom in the top left hand corner. The P3/4k showed that it had not been used much since buying the P3Pro. Not surprising as I bought it back in January. DJI do not recommend flying in Scottish blizzards. It does show the actual flights and other flight details.

The unexpected detail was that the "Pre-Refurbed" drone name showed in the list.

So if anyone who might be wondering where The Purple Pea P3Pro went after it was returned, it has been dumped on me!!

I will wait for a DJI reply then see about dumping the Pro3 back in the lap of Jessops. (Approved UK DJI agent.) I strongly urge anyone considering buying through Jessops to go elsewhere. I tried back in January to return and cancel because I was not satisfied that it had actually been refurbished. When I pointed out a couple of things that I was not happy with, I was practically accused of being a liar and chancer. Did you know that it was unheard of a DJI Drone being supplied with a SanDisk SD card! Only 16GB Lexar SD cards were supplied. The shop assistant knew this because he had bought a P4 and there was no SanDisk in it. From this he declared that I was 'mistaken'! This despite the fact that I already had the 3/4K with a SanDisk card ... bought brand new and sealed from .. ta-raaah! ~ Jessops! It took another hour of standing on my crutches waiting for the Manager to return from lunch. He was actually sitting in the back shop, feart to face an irate customer, hoping that I would give up and go away.

All this faffing about despite the fact that the SD card was causing some sort of issue. The P3P did work fine with my imaginary SanDisk card and the Lexar was proved corrupted and unreadable. Eventually I was grudgingly, out of the goodness of their heart, given a 32GB SanDisk. This was all I wanted, an exchange and pay the difference between 16GB and 32GB. I think they were just wanting rid of me and realised I was not budging. So gave me the 32GB and ushered me out the door.

As the saying goes ...I'll be back! :cool:
I agree! You really shouldn't be paying a single penny for something that wasn't your fault. That dealer sounds brutal too. Certainly doesn't sound like someone I would want to work with. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn