setting up a Litchi mission in the mountains

Reaction score
Website
www.stevenmichelsen.com
I am considering a Litchi mission with my P3A that will involve going up and down the side of a mountain. The elevation at the top is about 1,000 feet higher than the start point. How should I approach this, so that I be assured that I keep the craft flying ABOVE the mountain and not INTO it? I imagine that all elevations in the mission must be relative to the home point? It's not a straight line up the hill - there are cliffs, relatively level areas, etc.

This works great. He posted somewhere on this forum. The more rugged the terrain, I'd suggest more waypoints.

SB

It's absolutely necessary to study the terrain before planning your mission. I use mission hub on my Mac to plan out the details. Check elevation at each waypoint do decide minimum flying heir at that waypoint. As all the references will be set with respect to your home point, you should first decide a flat and open area on the possible highest point. And then decide the height at which you will be flying wrt home point. 200-250' is good height to take pictures, check if that's achievable with enough ground clearances on your entire route.

You should also see that in case you need RTH, you have rough clearances during later part of the mission.

Be ready to switch to P mode to take back your control.

Does it work like this:

I want the AC to climb a hill preserving its 30m altitude.

Litchi Mission Hub reports at Waypoint #2 that "Ground Elevation 80m (37m above first waypoint)":

elevation.png

So setting Waypoint #2 Altitude as 30 + 37 = 67m makes the AC altitude 30m at Waypoint #2, right?

Wouldn't it be nice if Litchi Mission Hub had an option to automatically do that 30 + 37 calculation and insert the result in the Altitude box? If I forget to do that, the AC would hit the hill side, right? Or would it be confusing with many waypoints, elevations and altitudes?

And how reliable is the (Google's?) elevation info?

Does it work like this:

I want the AC to climb a hill preserving its 30m altitude.

Litchi Mission Hub reports at Waypoint #2 that "Ground Elevation 80m (37m above first waypoint)":

View attachment 56903

So setting Waypoint #2 Altitude as 30 + 37 = 67m makes the AC altitude 30m at Waypoint #2, right?

Wouldn't it be nice if Litchi Mission Hub had an option to automatically do that 30 + 37 calculation and insert the result in the Altitude box? If I forget to do that, the AC would hit the hill side, right? Or would it be confusing with many waypoints, elevations and altitudes?

And how reliable is the (Google's?) elevation info?
Altitude values from Google aren't particularly accurate. The better way to do it is to fly the route manually, figure out where you are wanting to go and then set the waypoints as appropriate. Then run the mission. The downside to this approach is that you have to be in control of the aircraft while a Litchi mission by itself can fly behind obstacles, etc.

It's still safer.

Interesting, I'm please in need of mapping the elevation / contours of a area of about 600 Acres remotely. Amongst things, I'm wanting to chart the elevation and contours. Can Litchi cannot do this? Can an IOS app u mention do things the any other apps that can, I'll be using P4. Any help will be appreciated. Many Thks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Litchi cannot produce a contour map. Maps Made Easy can produce a file that (I think) can produce contours in ArcView but it's pricey and way over my pay grade.

T

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik