Search and Rescue Drone

Reaction score
Hello-

New to quadcopters and quite clueless.

I'm trying to figure out which will be the most reliable to use for a Search type application.

When a person goes missing often we need to check in ravines, along inaccessible creeks, and the like.
We don't presently have a Drone team, but I see it being a great resource. Also, we are all volunteer so cost is something I have to consider.

We wouldn't need so much to record video, but taking photos and actually having a FPV when searching is a must. A longer battery life would be a plus.

Suggestions?

The Phantom 2 Vision or Vision+ may be your best option for battery life.

My plan for this application is a Phantom 2 (reasonable cost in case it is lost or destroyed, plus workable flight times and range), GoPro with narrower FOV lens, together with Lightbridge-based FPV for high resolution viewing.

sar104 said:
My plan for this application is a Phantom 2 (reasonable cost in case it is lost or destroyed, plus workable flight times and range), GoPro with narrower FOV lens, together with Lightbridge-based FPV for high resolution viewing.

That lot won't come in under his budget.

Madwak said:
sar104 said:

That lot won't come in under his budget.

That is true. It was really an observation of what I think makes sense for the application given the basic constraints and requirements of aerial searching. I think the proposed budget may be too low for a functional system.

I flew my P2 in a search today for a downed quad in a Rapeseed field. I flew 6 batteries taking photos and videos. We did not spot it whilst we were there on the FPV system but may have found it now in one of the photos. I have yet to review the video. I would say the Phantom is perfect provided you have enough batteries.

I am in the process of building Search and Rescue drone too. One of our church member 2 years old son was lost in the wood and was not found till a week later. The authority did not allow me to fly my P3A due to the S&R Helicopter was in the same area and they did not think the drone can do the job. I agree the P2V+ limit to distance and not able to fly at night, but it's still can be use for non urgent S&R. I am building the Matrice and working to get fund for the Guidance Avoid system with FLIR camera. The Matrice can carry a small package that can be drop to the person or animals, like a flotation for water rescue, blanket for winter or water bottle for summer. Any Phantom can be a S&R drone, just limit to it capabilities.

SAR - Search & Rescue
UAS - Unmanned Aircraft System
NASAR - National Association for Search And Rescue
NIMS - National Incident Management Team

Welcome ThongPham.

Welcome to the new and wonderful world of UAS SAR work. Because technology has grown a LOT faster than regulations we currently have to play by full sized (manned) aircraft regulations and rules. Some of these could change later this year as new (and reasonable) regulations are created specifically for UAS but also through education within the NASAR organization. Believe it or not they are VERY eager to get UAS integrated into SAR and many of us are hard at work trying to make it much easier and reasonable to be able to use UAS for managed SAR missions.

If you want to get involved be sure to follow the proper channels so that you integrate into the SAR team. Learn proper NIMS procedures and protocol so that when/if you get the call you are a part of the structure and things go so much better that way. One key thing to remember is that a UAS team is just another tool in the SAR toolbox and even though it has lots of potential it's new and in many areas untested/proven. So go into it with the mindset of becoming part of the team and learning SAR first and then slowly working to include UAS into the mix. Also you'll want to not just join the team but you'll want to train WITH the team. It's a lot harder than it sounds like it is and when lives are on the line you don't want to be second guessing and trying unproven/tested methods.

If you (or anyone else reading this) is interested in genuine SAR work with UAS feel free to drop me a note and I'll try to give you the best possible guidance.

Reactions: Thong Pham

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl