Sad Day

Reaction score
My drone went down over a big lake (I did all my preflight routine and nothing seemed weird when I put the blades on.)I took it up and always let it hover for a least a minute or two and check settings Like always.do I got out about 200 ft when it happened. it look like one of my blades snapped and dropped like a rock. These were new blades from dji. I went out to to and try recover my bird but to no avail. To deep . So do I cancel my registration with the FAA if I get new drone or can I use the same numbers on my new one. Yes I feel like an idiot. Thanks in advance.

Safe flying

Last edited:
My drone went down over a big lake (I did all my preflight routine and nothing seemed weird when I put the blades on.)I took it up and always let it hover for a least a minute or two and check settings Like always.do I got out about 200 ft when it happened. it look like one of my blades snapped and dropped like a rock. These were new blades from dji. I went out to to and try recover my bird but to no avail. To deep . So do I cancel my registration with the FAA if I get new drone or can I use the same numbers on my new one. Thanks in advance.

Safe flying
Sorry for your loss. This is why I will never fly over water. No drone, no claim.

If you get a new drone you will need to register it. The FAA licenses the pilot and not the drone. Since you're NOT underwater, the same FAA number should work unless you plan to use it for something different such as commercial work and are planning on obtaining your Part 107.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Sorry for your loss. This is why I will never fly over water. No drone, no claim.

If you get a new drone you will need to register it. The FAA licenses the pilot and not the drone. Since you're NOT underwater, the same FAA number should work unless you plan to use it for something different such as commercial work and are planning on obtaining your Part 107.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah bad buzz,very sorry for your loss,I think it's a gamble we all take but yours just happen to do it over water :( I fly over the ocean and thank someone that it comes back all time,we'll get that credit card out,off to the shop,you still got remote or you throw that in the water to ? Mayby hunt for just a drone,it will be cheaper anyway,sorry again take care

My drone went down over a big lake (I did all my preflight routine and nothing seemed weird when I put the blades on.)I took it up and always let it hover for a least a minute or two and check settings Like always.do I got out about 200 ft when it happened. it look like one of my blades snapped and dropped like a rock. These were new blades from dji. I went out to to and try recover my bird but to no avail. To deep . So do I cancel my registration with the FAA if I get new drone or can I use the same numbers on my new one. Yes I feel like an idiot. Thanks in advance.

Safe flying

Do forget to get the dji Care refresh. That will give you 2 band new drone for a small fee if you crash or lose your drone in a year.. I’ve got 2 brand new Mavic Pro with Care Refresh
Cheers
Daasmangi

Do forget to get the dji Care refresh. That will give you 2 band new drone for a small fee if you crash or lose your drone in a year.. I’ve got 2 brand new Mavic Pro with Care Refresh
Cheers
Daasmangi

Yeah bad buzz,very sorry for your loss,I think it's a gamble we all take but yours just happen to do it over water :( I fly over the ocean and thank someone that it comes back all time,we'll get that credit card out,off to the shop,you still got remote or you throw that in the water to ? Mayby hunt for just a drone,it will be cheaper anyway,sorry again take care
No I have all my stuff including a brand new hard shell case. I’m going to try to sell all my parts. I want noting to do with a phamton 3. Awho’s blades have plastic threads. I mean these were brand new blades from factory. So how do you go back to something that you think is flawed. Do phamton 4’s have a different set up or even inspires. Something more reliable. Thanks

Safe flying

Cheers
Daasmangi
Crash yes, lost probably no- unless the refresh policy has changed. Last I checked you needed to provide your AC to an authorised DJI service centre for assessment and estimation of repair cost following which you could elect to claim on the refresh policy at your option (where warranty would not apply).

No I have all my stuff including a brand new hard shell case. I’m going to try to sell all my parts. I want noting to do with a phamton 3. Awho’s blades have plastic threads. I mean these were brand new blades from factory. So how do you go back to something that you think is flawed. Do phamton 4’s have a

No I have all my stuff including a brand new hard shell case. I’m going to try to sell all my parts. I want noting to do with a phamton 3. Awho’s blades have plastic threads. I mean these were brand new blades from factory. So how do you go back to something that you think is flawed. Do phamton 4’s have a different set up or even inspires. Something more reliable. Thanks

Safe flying
The phantom 4 onwards prop mounting system is certainly more convenient. As to reliability? Most never have an issue with the threaded installation providing the props are installed properly.

Thanks guys for all your feedback again. I think what bothers me the most is the fact that you spend $700 on a drone and the blades cost six dollars and and really like it’s the main propulsion for the whole drone and they’re only six dollars to fly something that cost $700 just doesn’t make sense to me why can’t they make better blades
don’t know it could be a blade Or motor failure which I doubt because it only had like seven flights just venting thanks for all your help

Safe flying

It's funny. My first few flights were over land, but since that I fly over water probably 75% of my flights. It's mostly due to a space and safety issue. I live in a big city where some of the best places to get shots are flying over the river. That way I don't have to worry about flying over crowds or traffic, and I can get good views of the city.

Also, that's a bummer DJI Care Refresh doesn't replace lost drones. That's why I'm going to get insurance when I upgrade to a newer drone. Covers loss, theft, and crashes!

Reactions: LarBear360
It's funny. My first few flights were over land, but since that I fly over water probably 75% of my flights. It's mostly due to a space and safety issue. I live in a big city where some of the best places to get shots are flying over the river. That way I don't have to worry about flying over crowds or traffic, and I can get good views of the city.

Also, that's a bummer DJI Care Refresh doesn't replace lost drones. That's why I'm going to get insurance when I upgrade to a newer drone. Covers loss, theft, and crashes!

Yeah I tried getting a policy with State Farm but they wouldn’t cover it because it was just for that policy and I didn’t have any other policies with them. What kind of drone do you fly that you feel safe over water. I want to get another drone but little leery about the blades. Is it me and I only one that had a blade failureAnd if so that’s what you call the luck of the Irish I guess. Bad luck

i fly over water all the time , over a y
Yeah I tried getting a policy with State Farm but they wouldn’t cover it because it was just for that policy and I didn’t have any other policies with them. What kind of drone do you fly that you feel safe over water. I want to get another drone but little leery about the blades. Is it me and I only one that had a blade failureAnd if so that’s what you call the luck of the Irish I guess. Bad luck
ear with my p4 and never had prop issues . sometimes it's just bad luck

I have a p4p and mostly fly over water. I would check with a different State Farm agent that is the only policy I have with them DJI_0025-EFFECTS.jpg

Currently I'm flying a P3S which I feel confident over water with. I honestly think bad blades is a pretty rare issue. They're a fairly simple part that might be ever so slightly off balance or rough, but that would normally just cause the drone to be noisier. Maybe a slight wobble/vibration in flight, but not to just break off willy nilly. I just bought a Mavic Pro Platinum and am going to get the insurance for that one, given the higher price tag. And I'll still fly it over water. Also, I look at it like this: even if you're flying over land and your drone falls out of the sky, it's gonna be wrecked.

Currently I'm flying a P3S which I feel confident over water with. I honestly think bad blades is a pretty rare issue. They're a fairly simple part that might be ever so slightly off balance or rough, but that would normally just cause the drone to be noisier. Maybe a slight wobble/vibration in flight, but not to just break off willy nilly. I just bought a Mavic Pro Platinum and am going to get the insurance for that one, given the higher price tag. And I'll still fly it over water. Also, I look at it like this: even if you're flying over land and your drone falls out of the sky, it's gonna be wrecked.

I'm still not confident enough yet. I fly over water but I'm not relaxed yet. I've been double checking my propellers just in case I miss one and "there goes my P4P" oh oh oh... I guess it will take time to fly out to sea without stressing out.
IMG_5322.jpg
IMG_5194.jpg

The P4p do not thread on it is a push and turn and they lock in. I fly over water not comfortable about it but if it comes down I don't want it to hurt someone. And like 1boater said try a different State Farm agent I have mine through them.

Sorry about your loss hope it will all work out for you.

Reactions: DenMac

I fly as far away from people as possible which is not easy living in Southern California!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20