S1 & S2 Switches... what do they do...

Reaction score
Hello Guys...

Maybe I am not looking hard enough... but I haven't found what S1 & S2 do... either on NAZA or Normal mode...

I just have read that S2 in the middle will trigger "Attitude" mode... what the hell is that? Does the craft get in a different "attitude", as for me that is a state of humor... But english is not my primary language so I could be wrong...

So I hope the more experienced pilots could help us out... and respond with an easy to read and apply instructions on what is going on with S1 & S2...

On a side note... I am bit worried of flying my PV because of the reported "fly aways" whats the deal with that? Should I be concerned about this and just wait till DJI comes with a cure for this problem? I don't want to lose my craft but I am more worried of hurting somebody or causing an accident... I have flown my PV two times one in my factory which happens to be right next to a cell tower and the other in my neighborhood, no problems to report except some problems with the camera when shooting RAW pictures...

SO let us know please...

JC

Morning - your English is great, don't worry. ;)

Ok, in standard Phantom Vision mode S2 does nothing. S1 is only used to get into compass calibration mode or to take back control during return to home if you are back in range.

In NAZA mode, S1 does the following:

Switch up - same as normal Vision mode: GPS hold
Switch in the middle: Attitude mode - this holds the Vision level but won't correct for wind so it will drift downwind, unlike GPS mode.
Switch down: Selectable with the Assistant to either initiate return to home without turning off the transmitter OR full manual mode - that is effectively switch off the flight controller and just leave you with a gyro stablilized quad you will need to fly at all times (if you are not used to theis you WILL crash!).

In NAZA mode you can switch on IOC (intelligent Orientation Control) in which case S2 does the following:

Switch up: IOC off
Switch in the middle: Course Lock
Switch Down: Home Lock

IOC is a whole subject in itself and there is a good section on the DJI wiki about it, plus videos on the old Phantom section of the DJI website to explain these options.

Excellent... thanks for your response... Also in Manual mode will it fly like any self leveling quadcopter without gps and altitude hold?

I may be interested in Manual since it could fix an emergency fly away I heard...

Thanks!
JC

James Cole said:
On a side note... I am bit worried of flying my PV because of the reported "fly aways" whats the deal with that? Should I be concerned about this and just wait till DJI comes with a cure for this problem? I don't want to lose my craft but I am more worried of hurting somebody or causing an accident... I have flown my PV two times one in my factory which happens to be right next to a cell tower and the other in my neighborhood, no problems to report except some problems with the camera when shooting RAW pictures...

SO let us know please...

JC

Hi James,

As far as I know, DJI has never admitted that there has ever been a "true" fly away, and I doubt they ever will. They have replaced some "supposed" fly aways on a case by case basis. :roll:

(BTW, if someone knows something different than this in regard to DJI's position, I would love to see the link.)

Re: S1 & S2 Switches... what do they do...

Pull_Up said:
James Cole said:
Excellent... thanks for your response... Also in Manual mode will it fly like any self leveling quadcopter without gps and altitude hold?
JC

That is my understanding, yes - although I have never tried manual mode so I'm not speaking from experience.

I'd lose the "auto-levelling" reference . . .

Manual modes (for the original phantom at least) is full user control(ed). This means aerobatic flying, no pitch/roll limits and thus no (FW) speed limits etc. I'm not certain that the vision is/will be the same, but I'd imagine when it flicked into manual mode the phantom vision will likely pitch forward from the weight of the cam.

Re: S1 & S2 Switches... what do they do...

While we are on this topic, I'll mention this here . . .

In regards to FlyAways, if your flyaway is caused by an error in the NAZA (gyro, FC come loose, bad GPS data) using manual mode may prevent if flying away (tho, it'll likely crash it, but hey it didn't flyaway! ) however, if the flyaway is caused by interference between the Tx and the Rx, flicking to manual mode might not actually change the Flight Mode in the Naza within the phantom.

Flying in Manual mode is not only possible, but the preferred method when you know what you are doing. I have flown in manual mode, but I don't yet know what I'm doing. :lol:

If you want an example, check out martcerv flying a course in manual utilizing fpv. Get ready to realize you have a long way to go...I did! ;)

Post #5
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4133

Pull_Up said:
You're right, and without trims on the transmitter you're going to have to keep any corrective inputs in all the time as well as try and fly the thing back. Anyone actually tried flying theirs in manual yet?!

Yes I do enjoy flying my little Hubsan X4 (which is of course fully manual). First time I nailed hovering nose-in was quite a good feeling. When I'm feeling braver I will have to have a go at manual on the Vision. Actually, not that brave - as long as you're at least two mistakes high then you can always flick back up to GPS if it's all going wrong.

It would still have quite a pucker factor, though! Not quite so scary when it's a £30 toy in your living room... ;)

Pull_Up said:
Morning - your English is great, don't worry. ;)

Ok, in standard Phantom Vision mode S2 does nothing. S1 is only used to get into compass calibration mode or to take back control during return to home if you are back in range.

In NAZA mode, S1 does the following:

In NAZA mode you can switch on IOC (intelligent Orientation Control) in which case S2 does the following:

Switch up: IOC off
Switch in the middle: Course Lock
Switch Down: Home Lock

Good to know. How do you switch between NAZA mode and normal mode?

Pull_Up said:
It's in the user manual (together with a "be careful" warning). Read the section about the Assistant software again and you'll find it. :)

Cool. It sounds to me that while I am still learning the aircraft it is wise for me to keep both S switches in the up position.

I know the LEDs meanings are different from the default indicators If you alter the Tx so that S1 Is now GPS/Atti/Home via Assistant software:
P2V-LED-Flight-Indicator-2nd.jpg

If I understand the wiki right they should be the same a NAZA-M:

Naza-m-led.png

If that is the right chart, I have to say that I really cannot understand WTF they are telling me. Are they the same in GPS & Atti? In all honesty all I really want to confirm is do I have a GPS lock at take-off time and how is it shown? And do any of the patterns need to be memorised. Also is this telling me to move the sticks around before every flight?

This is of course assuming I am looking at the right Wiki page at all...

This one's a bit less busy:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... escription

Rapid flashing green means you have home point set and ready to go.

You get a mode colour flash, followed by a number of satellites flash until you hit 7 or more sats.

In GPS mode the mode flash is green - if you have more than 6 sats that's all you get, atti mode yellow, IOC yellow then green.

Thank you Sir, printing now... :ugeek:

Useful summary from another post:

Having found the NAZA LEDs confusing at first, I've only just realised what they were indicating and now I find them quite logical.
In Vision mode there was only one set of lights. In NAZA I've only just realised that you have a double sequence. The first flash being related to the control switch position: 1 green=GPS mode, 1Amber=Att mode, green and amber if you're in IOC. The second sequence being related to the amount of satellites received, eg if your in Att with 6 sats you get amber + 1 red. Eg if you're in GPS mode with greater than 6 Sats you would get green + none.

As a newbie flyer...isn't it best to have IOC enabled but still in phantom mode?

I think the consensus is, you should be at least intermediate before you upgrade to Naza. You should force yourself to learn how to fly in Phantom mode first.

I think the consensus is, you should be at least intermediate before you upgrade to Naza. You should force yourself to learn how to fly in Phantom mode first.

Okay, well you guys know more than me at this point ;). Only reason I ask is I crashed mine into a fence because I got disoriented with the directions. The IOC would have helped in that situation :p

Yep. I crashed mine into a tree the very first day I was using FPV. The phantom was up high. I was looking into the screen and then looked up and it had drifted a few feet towards a tree. Then I panicked and didn't know quite what to do so I just moved a lever and hoped for the best and it went into some tree branches, recovered, and then jammed itself into a Y section of the tree waaaay up high. ****.

Luckily I had a loooong extension pole - the kind roof painters use. And I had an extension ladder. I was able to climb way the **** up there with the ladder and then extended the pole all the way. Standing on a high rung and stretching up as high as I could reach, I managed to put the extended pole through the landing gear and pull it away from the Y. Down the pole slid my Vision.

I got lucky. No damage either!

Then I went to the park several days, using several batteries, and went through that "Flying Course" manual that's included with all Phantoms.

I never crashed again. I still have all eight of my original props. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic