RTH Question

Reaction score
If I lose connection with my phantom, and there is a bit of wind so while coming back it is slower than usual, will it try to speed up so it can get to the home point on time?

It will not speed up. If it does not make it back to the home point before it reaches the critical low batter level, then it'll land at its current location.

If I lose connection with my phantom, and there is a bit of wind so while coming back it is slower than usual, will it try to speed up so it can get to the home point on time?

It will try to maintain it's speed and heading in the wind. However, it doesn't (per se) try to come back any faster... (maybe I am misunderstanding) - The biggest problem people have with wind is that they fly with the wind and get too far down wind for RTH to get it all the way back (since it has to use more power to fly against the wind). People have lost their birds because of this lack of consideration for the wind.

It will try to maintain it's speed and heading in the wind. However, it doesn't (per se) try to come back any faster... (maybe I am misunderstanding) - The biggest problem people have with wind is that they fly with the wind and get too far down wind for RTH to get it all the way back (since it has to use more power to fly against the wind). People have lost their birds because of this lack of consideration for the wind.
I meant if I go 1.5 miles away at a speed of 10 mph, but there is wind so it would usually go back at 5 mph at the same power, would it try to maintain the speed of 10 mph by working harder to go 10 mph?

I meant if I go 1.5 miles away at a speed of 10 mph, but there is wind so it would usually go back at 5 mph at the same power, would it try to maintain the speed of 10 mph by working harder to go 10 mph?

Oh... no... it doesn't try to match your speed.

RTH is always the same, I think around 20mph in dead calm. If you have a headwind coming back, that 20mph is reduced by the speed of the wind. Is that what you want to know?

Just set the home lock and get it back with full speed atti mode

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: snowghost

This is an excellent solution when you're freaking out about how slow it is returning on RTH.

You have to kind of be careful with that... if you are using full speed and the voltage of the battery drops below a certain threshold under that load... the bird could decide to go into auto-land.

Your Phantom can fly at 15 metres/sec in still air.
But RTH only flies at 10 m/s in still air, which is even slower if pushing against a headwind.
BUT ... you can fly faster in RTH if you just push the right stick forward yourself or cancel RTH and resume control.

In RTH, you don't have to leave it to do all the controlling.

RTH is always the same, I think around 20mph in dead calm. If you have a headwind coming back, that 20mph is reduced by the speed of the wind. Is that what you want to know?
So Rth will move the craft in the opposite direction with a 25 mph headwind?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4