RTH Question (and a few other basic questions)

Reaction score
Hello - just received my P3 Standard a few days ago. I have been taking it really slow as far as my flying goes. I have read too many newbies posts where they freaked out and either lost or broke their drone through inexperience! Having a blast soo far! I have a few questions (and I apologize if I get long winded!)
1) RTH - I understand the concept. You set the height. If the drone is at least 60 feet away from you and you hit the RTH - then the drone goes to the preset height returns to the home point and then descends. My question is where is the present height measured from. For example - let's say that I am in my neighborhood but then fly my drone to the top of a large hill. For the sake of argument - let's say the drone is preset at 20 meters. and the hill is 50 meters high. When I hit the RTH - is it going to fly 20 meters from the top of the point that it is currently hovering...or in fact would this create the drone to DESCEND 30 meters (thereby crashing into the hill) because it is measuring the distance from where I am standing and 20 meters high from that point? Hope that makes sense. Trying to figure out in that scenario if I would want to set my height for 50 to compensate for the hill + another 20 meters.

2) Lichi - I have read a few posts about LIchi. Is it really better than the app that comes from DJI? What are the pros / cons?

3) I have read some posts that refer to C1 and C2 buttons....what are those? On my remote - I have a S1 and S2 (although they are toggle switches and not buttons).

4) Does an ND filter really help? Do you all use them frequently?

5) The gimbal lock sucks. Took me about 30 minutes of watching you tube videos to figure out how to get the darn thing back on...does anyone use any 3rd party gimbal locks?
Thanks!

My question is where is the present height measured from.
It's measured from the take off point. The take off point is at 0 meters. The current altitude displayed in DJI is the height from the point to the Phantom's current height above that point.

Lichi - I have read a few posts about LIchi. Is it really better than the app that comes from DJI? What are the pros / cons?
Many people use Litchi because it allows waypoint missions to be created by simply plotting the waypoints on a map. DJI GO requires you to fly to each waypoint to create a mission.

I have read some posts that refer to C1 and C2 buttons....what are those?
The P3S remote controller does not have those buttons.

Does an ND filter really help?
It helps when shooting video. You don't need them for taking photos. See more details here.

The gimbal lock sucks. Took me about 30 minutes of watching you tube videos to figure out how to get the darn thing back on
It's pretty easy to install after you figure out how to use it. I tried some 3rd party gimbal locks, but none worked as well as the DJI gimbal lock.

no terrain following. measures from launch point. just like plane. you don't set altimeter properly, the mountain gets dinged.
So yes drone will descend till it lands rather unexpectedly.
will the p3p sensors override rth landing when it senses the ground?

Used the UV, and CPF so far, plus none at all. While slightly darker with circle polarizer, it gets rid of washing out in bright spots. did a 6 minute flight, put on filter, and flew it again.
with and without filter not turning on camera gave same results.
bought the set on cyber monday from drone world for 40% off.
one more to go, windy today.

Last edited:
When the Phantom is auto landing, it'll continue to descend until it reaches the ground (or a tree).

no terrain following. measures from launch point. just like plane. you don't set altimeter properly, the mountain gets dinged.
So yes drone will descend till it lands rather unexpectedly.
will the p3p sensors override rth landing when it senses the ground?

Used the UV, and CPF so far, plus none at all. While slightly darker with circle polarizer, it gets rid of washing out in bright spots. did a 6 minute flight, put on filter, and flew it again.
with and without filter not turning on camera gave same results.
bought the set on cyber monday from drone world for 40% off.
one more to go, windy today.
Hello - I recently found a youtube video about using Google Earth to set a mission in Litchi that keeps your altimeter relative to ground. Super easy to do and in that way - you don't need to worry about hitting the ground because you don't judge the altimeter correctly. Open Google Earth.
Hit the Create Path Button. Select 40m (and then the option relative to ground). You can set whatever height you want, but the relative to ground option will create a mission that is always that distance away from the ground. When you are done - you save the file as a klm file. Go to mission hub, import the saved file. You will notice that the mission automatically will have different altitudes at each way point according to the relative to ground setting. On youtube - do a search for "Litchi relative to ground..." and you will find the video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan