RTH on WiFi Signal Loss

Reaction score
We all know that Failsafe RTH is triggered by loss of control signal (5.8Ghz): if the AC doesn't receive any inputs from the RC for 3s, the AC starts the RTH procedure. I was searching this forum for something unrelated and came across a post from someone who had an interesting theory about RTH being triggered by the RC, in case of downlink (2.4GHz) signal loss.

Has this been confirmed by anyone? Just curious...

Your saying the Phantom sees the remote, the remote looses signal from the Phantom, the remote sends a RTH to the Phantom?

The only relation I can see is the app is telling you it lost signal and that the Phantom is in RTH. Even though it might not be.

I have read many RTH's , My vote is no.

Rod

Reactions: Wildcatman
We all know that Failsafe RTH is triggered by loss of control signal (5.8Ghz): if the AC doesn't receive any inputs from the RC for 3s, the AC starts the RTH procedure. I was searching this forum for something unrelated and came across a post from someone who had an interesting theory about RTH being triggered by the RC, in case of downlink (2.4GHz) signal loss.
It's common for the downlink to drop out before the control signal and this is an indication that you are getting close to being out of range.
We frequently see flight data that shows loss of downlink for extended periods but RTH is not triggered until the control signal is lost.

Reactions: 120CCPM
interesting theory about RTH being triggered by the RC, in case of downlink (2.4GHz) signal loss.
In this instance it would be a "Manual" commanded RTH from the RC. Downlink has nothing to do with fail-safe RTH.

Kind of sounded familiar. ;)

Rod

Yes, that's exactly what this guy was saying. @Meta4 confirmed that's not the case, so case closed. It was an interesting theory, anyways. :)
Here's a Phantom out on the edge of signal (because it's down low) and disconnected (lost downlink) but RTH doesn't initiate and it still has full control via joysticks.
i-NpPbD55-M.png

If you think about it, and consider the average user of DJI products, it would actually make sense to trigger RTH on downlink signal loss: the P3S "system" effectively relies on both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz signals to properly work, so why trigger RTH only on loss of one and not the other?
If you don't understand how the P3S works, the situation where you lose downlink (but still have control) is very confusing and can lead to bad things...

If you don't understand how the P3S works, the situation where you lose downlink (but still have control) is very confusing and can lead to bad things...
In this case, if you have not done your research, read the manuals, and been practicing in all phases of training, then you should not be flying in the first place. I understand what you are saying, but that is something that even the most novice of pilots should fully understand ( Function of RTH, in particular) Learn safety and emergency procedures FIRST! Before you even charge the batteries. Photography, and enjoyment of the platform will follow, as opposed to fare too many Pilot incidences.
It takes time. Don't push it. That's all I am saying.

Hi all .. is there any indication that the 5.8 GHz will/has lost signal ( as it is TX only signal) or do u just see RTH start ...??

Hi all .. is there any indication that the 5.8 GHz will/has lost signal ( as it is TX only signal) or do u just see RTH start ...??

If you still have downlink, then yes, both the RC (Status LED) and DJI GO will tell you that control is lost and RTH has kicked in. If you lose downlink before control, then no, you have no indication, you're completely blind (as the AC is likely far and away). And that's exactly why I consider this a tricky situation that could lead even experienced pilots to make mistakes.

Last edited:
If you lose downlink before control, then no, you have no indication, you're completely blind (as the AC is likely far and away). And that's exactly why I consider this a tricky situation that could lead even experienced pilots to make mistakes.
Just to expand on that. Downlink is basically a "luxury", as the Phantoms will still fly without a device even being used. The controller and the AC is really all that is required. Practice this way and loosing downlink is not a big deal, as long as you still have visual and RC connection you can always command RTH, if need be.

i think what's being overlooked here is VLOS. If you have VLOS and know how to fly the quad, there is no problem as long as you have control (5.8). Otherwise, as Fly Dawg said, "you should not be flying in the first place."

Downlink is basically a "luxury", as the Phantoms will still fly without a device even being used.
I wouldn't call it a "luxury": sure, the P3S can fly with just control signal, but all camera controls (including the basic ability to start/stop video recording) require WiFi. That's why I consider it an integral part of the P3S "system".

Practice this way and loosing downlink is not a big deal, as long as you still have visual and RC connection you can always command RTH, if need be.
If you lose downlink, your P3S is likely a small dot in the sky, or ended up behind an obstacle. And unless you are absolutely certain about the AC orientation and its surroundings the moment you lost the downlink, your only option is to trigger RTH via RC (or turn off the RC altogether), trusting that the AC got the message even if you don't get any confirmation. Again, if you understand the separation between control and downlink and their roles, it's not a big deal, but you have to admit that it's a much trickier situation than losing control (before downlink), where the AC will come back on its own and you get immediate feedback via the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
I wouldn't call it a "luxury": sure, the P3S can fly with just control signal, but all camera controls (including the basic ability to start/stop video recording) require WiFi. That's why I consider it an integral part of the P3S "system".
I was not even considering camera controls in this scenario because basically without a monitor device, using the camera is for all practical purposes, useless, although unlike the P3S, the other Phantoms have camera and shutter controls on the RC. This was more in regard to the fact that just to fly for entertainment purposes, it can be done, and it's good practice for those emergency situations when you can not "see" the device information.

Quick update on the subject: did a long-distance test today and lost WiFi while control was (barely) still there. Well, I'm happy to report that after a few seconds in this situation, I got prompted by DJI GO to initiate RTH. It's not automatic, as we know by now, but at least the pilot gets an easy way out of an otherwise tricky situation. Not sure why I never noticed that before...

I am I correct in Saying that if you loose 2.4ghz link (Video\device) link you can still activate RTH via the S2 (5.8GHZ) on the RC? also does the RTH from the DJI GO app send Via 2.4GHZ to RC then 2.4GHZ to AC ?

Since you can activate RTH via RC even if you have lost video/telemetry signal (2.4GHz), it's fair to assume for the command to travel via 5.8GHz to the AC.
When you trigger RTH from the app, it could either go via 2.4GHz all the way to the RC, or it could go via 2.4GHz to the RC, and from there via 5.8GHz to the AC. I can't say.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94