RTH initiated while P3P was on the ground resulting in crash

Fascinating story and one to serve as a warning to us fliers!
Am I reading the flight correctly that you took off from Bluff Lane and then walked onto the driveway of the house seen with the red and white cars parked up, which is about five feet higher than Bluff Lane.
Definitely RTH activated by low battery @18.21.8 but I wonder why it overrode your shut-down signal from the LH stick?

Per Meta4 above it apparently takes 3 seconds to shut the motors down and RTH initiated after I held it down for less than that. You understood correctly. It was very unlucky timing but ultimately if either I made sure that the P3P never flew under any obstructions AND/OR DJI SW didn't inititiate RTH when the drone is on the ground would have prevented the crash.

Sorry for saying your fault but now we know and I'm sorry for that,,and seems bad luck found it..certainly seems dam crazy thing to happen,,you would think the drone can sense it got low battery and stay put on the ground as auto land does but to take off back to rth seems rather dangerous on the part of dji,it know it cant make it back to home point so why it take off ? Artificial intelligence been drinking,,I had a rth over a mile out at 50% and cause it thought it wont make it back it started to automatically landing and finally able to cancel with multiple press on the onscreen prompt to cancel,,so called smart battery for you and bad software design,,why the drone throws these out when it knows already where it is a bad one to the pilot ,,mine scared the grey hair off my head and that no fun

No worries. I wish it wouldn't have happend but now that it has I hope others can avoid having the same thing happen to them. Peace!

Basically a freak accident due simply to the timing of the RTH initiation! I must admit I nearly always hand catch my P3A now due to having often had bad landing experiences, tipping over on landing etc. I wonder if that would have saved you? I also have my low battery RTH set at 20%, bring it to within range and then cancel the RTH and again hand land it, but in your instance it would not have helped.

Fascinating story and one to serve as a warning to us fliers!
Am I reading the flight correctly that you took off from Bluff Lane and then walked onto the driveway of the house seen with the red and white cars parked up, which is about five feet higher than Bluff Lane.
Definitely RTH activated by low battery @18.21.8 but I wonder why it overrode your shut-down signal from the LH stick?
the best fix to this is digdat0 mod , which disables forced landing because of (smart battery) whic is the jerkiest thing i ever seen it saves the battery but causes a destruction of the drone!!! i saw a p3p that was modded it flew until 4% battery without that landing though not recommended but it sets the boundary to extreme in case you needed it..
by the ways i look for help on a a p3p fix if you can help me phantom 3 pro open heart--- gimbal flashing , fw 1.11.20, esc status error

here is question i would like to ask , i have my assumption answer for it but never tested it practically. lets suppose a phantom3 pro has a problem or crash that led to a lost gimbal, now lets say some one wants to use this phantom to fly it with the transmitter only( i mean no go app is used,since no gimbal is there to transfer any thing), even we can use a separate 5.8 ghz video transmitter like those we use for fpv... now if we fly this combo and signal is lost or some one wants a rth by pressing the home button on transmitter will that work????

i answered my self , i dont have a phantom without gimbal but i will take out my p3p tomorrow its on fw 1.7.6 with rc on 1.6 and will fly iy without the go
wink.gif
app , but i had no patience for tomorrow i charged a battery to 70% and tested it on rc no app 400 yards distance 300 yards up no problem, no limits, i suppose radio will work flawlessly to its full range.p3p on fw 1.7.6 rc 1.6

here is question i would like to ask , i have my assumption answer for it but never tested it practically. lets suppose a phantom3 pro has a problem or crash that led to a lost gimbal, now lets say some one wants to use this phantom to fly it with the transmitter only( i mean no go app is used,since no gimbal is there to transfer any thing), even we can use a separate 5.8 ghz video transmitter like those we use for fpv... now if we fly this combo and signal is lost or some one wants a rth by pressing the home button on transmitter will that work????
You can fly just fine without a camera and gimbal and yes RTH will still work.

Reactions: JoBe
it is confirmed we can blind fly our p3
biggrin.gif
, now lets say the rth kicks in or the operator started it by long pressing the home key, how to cancel it without the app??
confused.gif

it is confirmed we can blind fly our p3
biggrin.gif
, now lets say the rth kicks in or the operator started it by long pressing the home key, how to cancel it without the app??
confused.gif
A couple of ways we usually tell people to cancel RTH without the app are to press the RTH button on the RC again or simply click the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back again.

yes your right Oso here's a link to some very handy experiments on this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers