RTH Graphic Tutorial

Reaction score
I see a lot of RTH questions, and some misunderstanding of its function. Some only believe it's an emergency feature, which it can be, but there are three valuable RTH modes. The RTH function can be extremely useful and relieve a lot of stress returning your P3. It also has some useful alterations while flying back.

Failsafe RTH: When the RC & P3 lose signal for 3 seconds, a Failsafe RTH initiates and the P3 returns and lands at its takeoff point. It can be cancelled with a tap of the RTH button on the RC, or through the soft button on the app once signal is regained.

Smart RTH: When the P3 determines the amount of energy needed to return to its take off point has been reached due to distance from the Home Point, it initiates a Smart RTH. This can be disabled in the app, and will only activate once for each flight. If cancelled from the controller or app, it will not re-initiate because of battery levels.

RTH: User initiated return to the home point. Inside of 20 meters, a user initiated RTH will auto land at its location. Outside of 20 meters, the P3 will return to it's home point.

Return to home can be cancelled at any time by the operator, and also re-initiated as well manually from the RC or app. In all of the above, if one of the RTH modes kicks in and the P3 is below the Failsafe Return-to-Home-Altitude, the P3 will ascend and return. Above this limit, it will just RTH at its current altitude.

In all above modes, the operator can alter the P3 in various ways with the control sticks. As a picture is worth a thousand words, there's about 4000 below! Hope this helps anyone who may have RTH questions and/or fears. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

SD

RTH Throttle Control.jpg

What is the accuracy of the RTH. I've heard people say Ther birds lands within 30' or so of its take off point. And some say it's dead on Etc.

What is the accuracy of the RTH. I've heard people say Ther birds lands within 30' or so of its take off point. And some say it's dead on Etc.
In my experience, it has been accurate to within 1.5 - 2 feet. I've used a 30" x 30" table to take off from and it usually can land back on the table with little correction.

SD

That's a great post very informative indeed. The only thing I don't like with RTH is if it is initiated within 20m it lands in the current location. This could be an issue if you are over a river or a tree or something. Can this setting be changed?

Reactions: J&L
Thanks for that. Those pictures are very clear!

That's a great post very informative indeed. The only thing I don't like with RTH is if it is initiated within 20m it lands in the current location. This could be an issue if you are over a river or a tree or something. Can this setting be changed?
Yes, don't initiate the RTH feature so close to the recorded home point. ;-)
If it does, and it is too close. then you need to take back RC control.

RedHotPoker

Doesn't the P3 have Dynamic Home Point capability?
Yes, buts its a misnomer. You can manually change the home point from one static home point to another as long as you have GPS capability at your RC.

Yes, the iPad Air 2 Celluar has a GPS module. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Very nicely done, Solar

Good drawings .
A question for all , what happens if you lose GPS and enter ATTI then have a lose of remote signal? Where does the aircraft go?

Really nicely put and easy to understand.
Great job!

Good drawings .
A question for all , what happens if you lose GPS and enter ATTI then have a lose of remote signal? Where does the aircraft go?

I edited this post, initially I thought it will hover in place until the battery gets low and then land wherever it is, but without GPS it cannot hover in place so I think it will auto land after it loses RC signal for 3 seconds and if it doesn't have GPS, but that is only what I think. I couldn't find it in the manual and I have not tried it myself.

Last edited:
Good drawings .
Without GPS, the Phantom can't find its way home.
But you're unlikely to be losing GPS unless you fly in a cave or a deep canyon etc.

Excellent graphics....well done

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik