RTH Features

I'm still not convinced about this backtrack to home thing.
Maybe a short backtrack to try to regain signal, but not all the way home.
In an emergency, if RTH is activated, you want it to go straight home, not muck around retracing a path for which you might not have enough battery.
If you've set the RTH height properly, why not just make a beeline? I think making decisions on obstacles and sensors etc is just too complex when the expedient is to just get home ASAP.

Maybe a short backtrack to try to regain signal, but not all the way home.
That's what happens.

In an emergency, if RTH is activated, you want it to go straight home
It will go straight home if you activate it.

I think making decisions on obstacles and sensors etc is just too complex when the expedient is to just get home ASAP.
The goal is to try to regain the signal when it's lost after flying behind an obstacle. It's a fantastic idea.

So we shouldn't be calling it a RTH scenario.
It an LOS manoeuvre which, if successful, will result in a continuation of normal flight.

If not successful, then a normal RTH is executed.

Either there are weird ways to misconfigure this or it is "sophisticated stupidity". Simply set the RTH altitude high enough. Upon a lost signal, the AC rises to RTH altitude and somewhere along that elevation change you are bound to regain connectivity. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Either there are weird ways to misconfigure this or it is "sophisticated stupidity". Simply set the RTH altitude high enough. Upon a lost signal, the AC rises to RTH altitude and somewhere along that elevation change you are bound to regain connectivity. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
The backtrack feature is builtin to the P4P, not something you can turn off.

The backtrack feature is builtin to the P4P, not something you can turn off.

I think you can turn it off, although it is not at all clear and I may be wrong.

There seem to be two DJI GO settings related to RTH obstacle avoidance, the first is grouped with all of the other OA settings:

'Turn on Smart Return Home'

'If obstacle is detected during Smart Return Home, aircraft will ascend to avoid it.'

This seems straightforward.

The other is (curiously) under 'Advanced Settings' in the Aircraft menu:

'RTH Remote Obstacle Avoidance'

'When enabled, aircraft will adjust the aircraft RTH route in remote to avoid obstacles, and aircraft will not respond to stick commands.'

This one is kind of unclear as it seems to duplicate the first setting, but I think what really does is apply to backtrack RTH.

Last edited:
I think you can turn it off, although it is not at all clear and I may be wrong.

There seem to be two DJI GO settings related to RTH obstacle avoidance, the first is grouped with all of the other OA settings:

'Turn on Smart Return Home'

'If obstacle is detected during Smart Return Home, aircraft will ascend to avoid it.'

This seems straightforward.

The other is (curiously) under 'Advanced Settings' in the Aircraft menu:

'RTH Remote Obstacle Avoidance'

'When enabled, aircraft will adjust the aircraft RTH route in remote to avoid obstacles, and aircraft will not respond to stick commands.'

This one is kind of unclear as it seems to duplicate the first setting, but I think what really does is apply to backtrack RTH.
No ive tested the second setting. That setting is the advanced return to home where it uses the gimbal camera to see objects up to 300 feet away and plot course around them. It doesn't turn off backtracking.

No ive tested the second setting. That setting is the advanced return to home where it uses the gimbal camera to see objects up to 300 feet away and plot course around them. It doesn't turn off backtracking.
Ah, OK, thanks. Was wondering what that setting did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31