RTH after landing?

Thanks, i hope this is safe method and it's overdischarging protected in that way too(like in drone). If Battery Voltages goes to below 3V its dead.
The LV protection curcuit should still work.

The 2 packs I religiously discharged after every 20 cycles are my weakest (lower flight time, higher cell imbalance and liwest last recorded capacity).

I genuinely believe the discharge proceedure is unnecessary and detrimental.

When i first started flying LiPO's (non smart) taking down close to LVC was seen as the quickest way to kill a pack (followed closely by storing at full charge).

Reactions: Jani Kankaanpää
When i first started flying LiPO's (non smart) taking down close to LVC was seen as the quickest way to kill a pack (followed closely by storing at full charge).

Does the built-in discharge effectively mitigate the storing at full charge issues?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Since the battery will start auto discharging down to 65% after a maximum of 10 days of no use, it's impossible to store it at a full charge for long periods of time.

Since the battery will start auto discharging down to 65% after a maximum of 10 days of no use, it's impossible to store it at a full charge for long periods of time.

So the short answer to my question would have been "Yes." ? :)

Agreed, in a lot of instances this is true. If however we consider the case of a weekly flyer (or any frequency within a given 10 day period for that matter) the battery will effectively spend most of its service life in a fully charged state.

Reactions: t2adze
I cannot find how to discharge without motors. Without it takes a long time to discharge. I mean if you turn drone to idle.
Hint : You can easily do a word search of the pdf manual.
Ctrl F will bring up the Find feature and you can search for anything.
Searching for Discharge I get this:
i-2mz9c6K-L.jpg

DJI recommended it on DJI forum.
DJI Ken mentions it sometimes as something he does personally but it's not a DJI recommendation.
When questioned about it, he was unable to give any reasoning, just that it's something he's been doing from back in the early days well before DJI intelligent batteries.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
If however we consider the case of a weekly flyer (or any frequency within a given 10 day period for that matter) the battery will effectively spend most of its service life in a fully charged state.
I guess it really depends on what the pilot does after flying. If the pilot always recharges the battery after flying and the discharge setting is set to 10 days, the battery will remain in a near fully charged state for most of its life.

Fortunately, we all have the option to properly care for our batteries. If someone chooses to abuse their batteries like this, then they'll just have to buy new batteries more frequently.

Last edited:
Perhaps it was in the manual once but search the latest versions and it's not there now.
If it was important DJI would recommend it.
If you still want to discharge the battery, the manual tells you how to do that without running the motors.
Yes, correct, the manual has changed. Here two links for both versions.
Old: https://www.drone-world.com/media/p3/DJI_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf
New: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phan...gent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines__en.pdf

If you run your battery to 0%, it may puff your battery.
The battery will auto shut off when any cell reaches 3.0V.

Think he was referring to battery percent reported by the app, not voltage.
I'm not sure. Either way, running the battery until it shuts off should not harm it. That's what DJI used to recommend be done in order to cycle it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94