RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

drone4me said:
does it sink when ur just hovering or when it's moving. People have noticed it "sinks" when the battery level goes less than 30%

No it does this with a fresh battery. It just appears the added weight is pulling it down, but that seems counterintuitive to how is supposed to just hold altitude regardless of weight. I'm a stumpted.

RJOS said:
drone4me said:
does it sink when ur just hovering or when it's moving. People have noticed it "sinks" when the battery level goes less than 30%

No it does this with a fresh battery. It just appears the added weight is pulling it down, but that seems counterintuitive to how is supposed to just hold altitude regardless of weight. I'm a stumpted.

The instructions from rotopixel I guess will have nothing to do with what weight a phantom carries, each bird will vary in its optimum performance settings, see page 3 of the topic on gains, the vertical gains appear to be higher for phantoms with gimbals, ie not the vision which stock does not have the extra weight of a gimble.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11446

I just had my best video yet but still not perfect and totally jello free. 8 turns on the thumbscrews.

I also adjusted the gains in the assistant software to calm down the P2V and to give it a bit of vertical stability.

New gains which may or may not work for others are as follows:

Basic pitch\roll\yaw\ 110% Vertical 200%

Attitude pitch\roll\ 200%

Still tweaking...

gfredrone said:
I just had my best video yet but still not perfect and totally jello free. 8 turns on the thumbscrews.

I also adjusted the gains in the assistant software to calm down the P2V and to give it a bit of vertical stability.

New gains which may or may not work for others are as follows:

Basic pitch\roll\yaw\ 110% Vertical 200%

Attitude pitch\roll\ 200%

Still tweaking...

Nice one gFred :D I watching your settings as it should be similar for when mine arrives.

I just flew in basically zero wind and can say I'm finally impressed on FPV. I couldn't see any jello on FPV like I did before but unfortunately forgot my sd card at the house so this is not a complete test. The calm conditions, new gian settings in the assistant, and somewhere between 7.5 - 8.0 turns on the thumbscrews have really smoothed things out. I'm going to try and recreate the flight tomorrow with an sd card on board so I can post the video. I think I'm 90% there for jello free video at cruising speed and altitude (200'-400').

Several experiments later...

• Reduced jello a bit @ 6 3/4 turns, it's less pronounced and now affects the top third of the frame so heading in right direction - more tweaking required.
  • The uneven horizon appears to be two separate issues, I have not been able to confirm either conclusively at this point:
  • 1. When you power up the Phantom the gimbal self levels in the first 5 seconds. If the Phantom is at an angle it appears that the gimbal remains offset in flight.
  • 2. Still appears to randomly go slanted in the air, not clear if this is cable snagging or something else.
  • Sinking, bird appears to be unable to maintain altitude. I am reading conflicting reports about gains - higher as she is carrying more weight, lower to make her more stable. I am going to re-calibrate and compass dance again to see if it's something simple first.

It seems as every outing is different and there is no consistency. Last night I thought I had it dialed in but this morning was a different story. The jello is back. I wonder if upgrading the dampers to a stiffer version would help. I don't have time or the patience to waste a battery on every trip messing with thumbscrews. I'm starting to blame the jello on the P2V mount and the dampening system. A foam or gel pad between the plastic mount and airframe might help?

Here is an interesting page on vibrations and damping. Some of the techniques could be applied here.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/vibration-damping/

also here from the H3-2D

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2881

One and a half batteries so far and a prop change. Cannot seem to dial out the jello using 1/4 turn increments from 6-8. Suggestions please... :arrow:

Oh, and yes the black rubber grommets are fully in and the bottom of the shocks are pulled flush to the thumb screws.

Seahorse....you and I seem to have the same sinking issue. I cracked the vertical gain all the way up to 220 and it finally seemed to stop the sinking. Then my motor went bad and I had to stop testing. So you might try cranking the vert gain it helped me it would appear.

Gains are already up, sinking removed, I am thinking about reducing them slightly as it's eating battery like there is no tomorrow. Currently at:

Basic: 120% 120% 120% 120%
Attitude: 200% 200% (unchanged).

Probably going to drop all the basic 10%.

I am also going to totally undo the thumbscrews, take them all to 8 an then back them off incrementally, job for tomorrow tbh.

The roll horizon thing is not from calibrating on the ground, I was launching from a dead level surface in the garden astride 2 bricks for gimbal clearance. What happens is the camera rolls and then very slowly returns to level in something in the order of 10-15 seconds, this is intermittent following hard right on right stick. I was trying to do this close enough to see if the cable on the rear of the camera was fouling, but no luck this afternoon.

Same boat with jello and sinking.

Raised my gain Vertical to 200 still dropping. Attitude is 200 on both.

Basic is 110, 120, 120, 200.

The Jello however is awful. Unusable. I have done the screws to the recommended turns, and also let them off today to maybe 3. Still awful. Winds are only 8mph gusts to maybe 15. Tempted to take the screws out all together. Then try them tight, let off one turn.

Mine stays level in flight, so that is good.

Keep us all informed if you find a better method.

Right Guys, you have approximately 4-5 weeks to sort this out before my #997 order possibly arrives.... I want you to have it all,sorted and posted on here lol..
Keep up your great work. :D

I didn't note before - and should have - I live at 7500 feet. The stock gains were fine for 7500 feet sans the tubby
RP gimbal :D

I ordered a new motor (mine **** the bed as we say in the Navy) so I cannot do any testing. Did you guys see over on another thread that some dude went out 6k with his P2V! Shut the front door!
Jim

Finally stopped raining (no surprise on a bank holiday weekend):

• All basic gains at 110%.
  • Balanced the RP Gimbal which dropped to the right naturally, this is not the wanted behaviour.
  • Fitted 4 brand new still in the packet, never been squished in my case like the ones I tried yesterday which clearly have been bent a little. Note to self: obtain a hard case for spare rotors.
  • Reviewed yesterdays videos (12) and saw the least visible jello @ 6 3/4 turns. Unscrewed all and then very carefully put 6 3/4 in.

One perfect, jello free test flight in the garden...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZj9VOGxpQ[/youtube]

Nicely done.

I cut a 2x3 inch slice off a yoga mat and slid it between the two gimbal frames. Left the screws at about 3 turns.

It was quite windy, 6-10 mph, but gusts over 15 a 20mph gust here and there.

NO noticeable jello now and this as I say was a breezy day.

I adjusted my vertical gain to 220 and this stopped the dropping altitude mostly... all of a sudden altitude started to drop, the craft started really wobbling and I would have had a certain crash except I live on a hill and was able to roll it to the right fast which gave me another 50 ft of fall distance. The throttle was doing nothing for about 5 seconds and that is a LONG time in a fall. All of a sudden it caught itself, power returned and it climbed back to a reasonable safe height for me to bring it back in. Was expecting to dump it down the hill. Not sure what happened there. Still had 50% + battery left.

I may return my gains back to what seahorse has and see how that goes tomorrow, but am all panicked out today.

Hello everyone, back in the land of the living. As I read through the thread I'm glad I waited until the end before jumping in with my suggestion to balance the gimbal and try fresh out the packet genuine DJI props. It's surprising how used props can be off enough to show some jello but not give any other sign. FWIW I haven't changed my atti gains keeping things stock and I haven't had any issues with the quad holding altitude until under 20%... I do however see occasional battery warnings flash up if I give it full stick any direction when I'm under 30%. Easing back a little stops the klaxon. I think it's enough with the extra weight for a quick power application to cause a voltage drop that fools the NAZA a bit.

Pull_Up said:
Hello everyone, back in the land if the living. As I read through the thread I'm glad I waited until the end before jumping in with my suggestion to balance the gimbal and try fresh out the packet genuine DJI props. It's surprising how used props can be off enough to show some jello but not give any other sign. FWIW I haven't changed my atti gains keeping things stock and I haven't had any issues with the quad holding altitude until under 20%... I do however see occasional battery warnings flash up if I give it full stick any direction when I'm under 30%. Easing back a little stops the klaxon. I think it's enough with the extra weight for a quick power application to cause a voltage drop that fools the NAZA a bit.

He's baaaaaaaaaacccckkkkk :D

Pull_Up said:
Hello everyone, back in the land of the living. As I read through the thread I'm glad I waited until the end before jumping in with my suggestion to balance the gimbal and try fresh out the packet genuine DJI props. It's surprising how used props can be off enough to show some jello but not give any other sign. FWIW I haven't changed my atti gains keeping things stock and I haven't had any issues with the quad holding altitude until under 20%... I do however see occasional battery warnings flash up if I give it full stick any direction when I'm under 30%. Easing back a little stops the klaxon. I think it's enough with the extra weight for a quick power application to cause a voltage drop that fools the NAZA a bit.

I get the battery warning as well if I give it full power, again, easing up stops it. and I don't have a gimbal attached ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl