RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

RamDez said:
I get the battery warning as well if I give it full power, again, easing up stops it. and I don't have a gimbal attached ;)

Then lubricate and clean the two pins for the battery... :idea:

I'm going to try some various dampening techniques. I stuck two earplugs between the gimbal and airframe over the weekend and noticed less vibrations making it to the gimbal board/IMU/camera but still had the smallest jello effect in bright light forward flight at altitude with 10-15 mph winds.

Next, I'm going to try and load the ear plugs into the damper balls and screw the thumb screws through them.

Pull Up: What are your PID and power settings in the SBGC GUI. I think yours should be different than the ones which shipped at a later date. I'd like to try adjusting the settings but don't know enough, even after reading the manual, to change anything with confidence of knowing what I'm doing.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 562
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 470
Seahorse said:
RamDez said:
I get the battery warning as well if I give it full power, again, easing up stops it. and I don't have a gimbal attached ;)

Then lubricate and clean the two pins for the battery... :idea:

It's not a data issue as the % is reported correctly, it's an issue with the secondary voltage check sensing a drop and reading it as a depleted battery - ease the loading and the voltages recover sufficiently that the firmware isn't worried any more so it stops the autoland sequence...

gfredrone said:
Pull Up: What are your PID and power settings in the SBGC GUI. I think yours should be different than the ones which shipped at a later date. I'd like to try adjusting the settings but don't know enough, even after reading the manual, to change anything with confidence of knowing what I'm doing.

No idea, I haven't plugged the gimbal controller in yet as it worked for me as is. Once I get through the ridiculously long to-do list I now seem to have post-holiday I'll have a go and see what I can see.

Still running 1.08 and the sinking is definately there. However, during my 15 test flights (which got shorter and shorter towards the end) trying to resolve jello I didn't notice it. Sadly the rain for the remainder of the weekend prevented a long enough break in the weather for a normal full battery flight.

If I get a chance one evening I will have a look and see if it is still present, but I have increase my gains, so may have cured it regardless?

Pull_Up said:
New version of the app for android out today, for those who missed it. I haven't flown it but early reports are that the video breakup might be cured...

Really Simon ??....cant see it on the DJI website ?? Where did you see that ? Ahh just seen it on playstore as 1.0.40

Hmmmm dont know if I dare update it or not ffs !!! :roll:

pyrophantom said:
Pull_Up said:
New version of the app for android out today, for those who missed it. I haven't flown it but early reports are that the video breakup might be cured...

Really Simon ??....cant see it on the DJI website ?? Where did you see that ? Ahh just seen it on playstore as 1.0.40

Hmmmm dont know if I dare update it or not ffs !!! :roll:

At least reverting android apps is easy, if it's crap....
Raining here all day so no testing....

Pull_Up said:
Guys, are those of you with a sinking feeling running firmware 3.0? I've started to see some reports of P2s having altitude hold issues with 3.0 as well... I'm not convinced this I'd gimbal related as I don't have the issue but crucially I have not yet updated the aircraft.

I've flown (gimbal-less, since I don't own one yet) under 3.0 a number of times with Android 1.0.39 and haven't had any problem holding altitude. All I'm seeing is the video signal problem with the App...

-slinger

I upgraded the board to the latest firmware (2.40b7) and can say the results are night and day after two quick test flights.

Flashed the board
applied the stock rotorpixel profile
Performed a quick recalibration of the accelerometer/IMU chip flat on my desk
went flying!

I haven't touched the PID or power settings yet. I might still try some further tweaking since there are added features in the latest firmware and GUI.

Two things noticed right off are the slow roll back to horizon issue is not happening and the pitch control from the app is more precise. The pitch doesn't keep going like before when you let off the button. The gimbal also seems more responsive to ultra quick movements which I believe is helping to reduce the jello.

I need some wind to really put it to the test. After the kids are tucked in I'll try and get the post firmware flash video online.

This is my smoothest FFF to date with RP. Still a few bumps here and there but much better than before the update and ear plug damping applied between the gimbal and airframe. Also the bumps look more like turbulence than jello so I may need to loosen the screws a half turn or so. I think they were at 8 on the video. The ear plugs really stiffen up the gimbal and are great shocks for reducing vibrations. I may need to shave a little material there as well.

FYI, cranked all the way down, my thumbscrews make just under 10 full turns. I've been turning them all the way tight and then backing off to my setting which I find easier/quicker than going the other way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CIVfYSs50[/youtube]

Need to work on the piloting skills. I'm still a bit jerky on the sticks.

So far only one flight and haven't noticed any issue. Very happy with how smooth the video is. Such a cool product. That said I'm going to have to change the way I carry the thing now. It just seems more fragile. I'd love to continue using a backpack but I'm not sure there are any robust enough. Ive seen the 511 bag form Go professional and another detected case/backpack both have precut firm type foam. Anyone use either? Other wise I am going to move back to a hard case with the pelican style backpack straps...but I really don't want to do that.

My other potential issue like all of us RP gimbal adopters is the decrease in range (video). I know its been asked probably a million times but anyone come across a very simple (very) clean wifi range extender setup thats not too expensive? Thanks for humoring me. Some of these forum posts get sooooo long and I hate wading throughout them. (yes I made a mild effort).

Thanks pals....

James

gfredrone said:
I don't know what's expensive to you but I have the FPVLR half sphere and have done 4000' ft with RP on board. Depending on the location 2500'-3500' can be expected reliably.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=54

That sounds like a great way to go! Thanks for providing labeled photo and link.

Did you also make an antenna mod on the Phantom, or only the ones on the wifi extender?

tubino said:
gfredrone said:
I don't know what's expensive to you but I have the FPVLR half sphere and have done 4000' ft with RP on board. Depending on the location 2500'-3500' can be expected reliably.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=54

That sounds like a great way to go! Thanks for providing labeled photo and link.

Did you also make an antenna mod on the Phantom, or only the ones on the wifi extender?

Just on the wifi extender. The Phantom is unmodified.

ok adding LHCP 2.4GHz Half Sphere Helix 9 dBi antenna works for the wifi fpv

and what about the controller? how you reach the 4000 feet?

The controller is stock. It might be the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's I have in there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20