Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum. I have been considering the route you have taken for some months now; but decided to hold off just in case DJI issued a new product that was reasonably priced and would meet my requirements. But that hasn't happened and the Rotorpixel option appears to be the only one available now.

I have ordered small items from abroad on a couple of occasions and was punished excessively by Royal Mail via their 'handling charge'. I expect to pay postage and customs duty, but their handling charge appears to be a bit of a lottery; sometimes it is a applied and sometimes not. When applied it can make a considerable difference to the cost of an item.

Please keep us informed as to progress with your order. If all goes seamlessly for you, I shall take the plunge and put in an order myself.

By the way, you will love your new hobby. Fly safe and have fun.

Cheers Greyfox51.

Update on my delivery is that customs want £51.79 off me before I can have it :-( Never mind, It's going to be worth it :)
The worst thing is that I'm nearly 200 miles away from it and wont be home till next Friday. Might get the wife to post it to me :)

Lew40 said:
Cheers Greyfox51.

Update on my delivery is that customs want £51.79 off me before I can have it :-( Never mind, It's going to be worth it :)
The worst thing is that I'm nearly 200 miles away from it and wont be home till next Friday. Might get the wife to post it to me :)

That's one of the things that has been putting me off ordering for a while. I suppose the £51.79 is the VAT? Or did that include some sort of handling charge too? Last time I ordered an electrical item from the USA (not Canada) I ended up having to pay quite a large sum on top of the retail price because of UK customs. it seems they have cracked down on this a lot more recently, as in the past items have arrived with no extra charge.

I should be ordering mine next month. The gimbal is about £250, then the rest is import charges.

I'm hoping keri will have a 3 axis gimbal by then.

Picked up my gimbal yesterday and paid the £51.79 :-(

Fitted on to the phantom, got it all balanced nicely and it works good. But when I took her outside for a test flight, the phantom was every where. Very very unstable. Is there anything I need to do with the gain settings? Or is there anything I've missed out?

Cheers

Geert said:
Lew40 said:

Fitted on to the phantom, got it all balanced nicely and it works good. But when I took her outside for a test flight, the phantom was every where. Very very unstable. Is there anything I need to do with the gain settings? Or is there anything I've missed out?

Cheers

Hi,

There is no need to change any gain settings but it is recommended to do an advanced IMU calibration and compass calibration after you made changes to your Phantom like adding a gimbal.
I assume you followed the installation instructions at http://www.rotorpixel.com/resources/pha ... stallation
Keep us informed if this helps. :D

Geert./.

Yes, I went step by step on the instructions. Also done an advanced calibration and compass before taking her out.

Shes wont stay still, goes up and down and very shaky.

Cheers

Cyclone said:
I should be ordering mine next month. The gimbal is about £250, then the rest is import charges.

Cyclone, hi, You know it's Canadian dollars not US which makes it a bit cheaper than £250. When I last checked the exchange rate a couple of days ago it worked out nearer £200 and then of course there's the VAT from Customs. Of course, the exchange rate may have fluctuated against us in a couple of days, so you takes your chances ;) Surely, the 3 axis will be quite a bit more expensive, or am I missing something?

Electric Warrior said:
Cyclone said:

Cyclone, hi, You know it's Canadian dollars not US which makes it a bit cheaper than £250. When I last checked the exchange rate a couple of days ago it worked out nearer £200 and then of course there's the VAT from Customs. Of course, the exchange rate may have fluctuated against us in a couple of days, so you takes your chances ;) Surely, the 3 axis will be quite a bit more expensive, or am I missing something?

Hi Electric Warrior,
In total it cost me £293.89. That's including shipping and the import tax/VAT.

Gimbal - £214.53 ($389)
Shipping - £27.57 ($50)
Import Tax - £51.79 :-(

Thanks Lew40. Doh! I forgot about the shipping! It's my age :D

Electric Warrior, I hadnt thought of it being canadian dollars. Just assumed it was the normal dollar, It does makes it cheaper :)

Lew40 said:

Odd. I noticed very little difference in the flight performance after adding the RP gimbal and have heard reports of only minor effects from others. So, I doubt that your problem is serious. We just have to figure out what it is.

I would suggest trying the advanced IMU calibration again. Make sure the P2V is level during the calibration.

Check to make sure that you didn't move or damage the compass on the leg of the 'copter.

Try a set of new props.

Hmm .. can anyone suggest other things to try? I was sure that I would be able to list more when I started typing. :)

-- Roger

Hi Jadebox,

I think it was me :-(
Went into assist and had a look at the gains and noticed that the atti had been changed from default (260%) to 400%.
I have no idea why I changed them to that. By changing them to 400% would it of caused it to go nuts? As in unstable.
One other factor could of been that it was a bit wind out there.

Just had another test run (still a bit windy) and she was a bit better :) only had 14 mins of flight though.

Cheers

Lew40 said:
Hi Jadebox,

Went into assist and had a look at the gains and noticed that the atti had been changed from default (260%) to 400%.
I have no idea why I changed them to that. By changing them to 400% would it of caused it to go nuts? As in unstable.

Just had another test run (still a bit windy) and she was a bit better :) only had 14 mins of flight though.

Whew! :)

A reduction in flight time is normal. But, the improved photos and video make up for it many times over. Before the RP, I'd get maybe an average of a minute of good video from a flight. Now, almost all the video from the entire flight is watchable.

-- Roger

jadebox said:
Lew40 said:
Hi Jadebox,

Whew! :)

A reduction in flight time is normal. But, the improved photos and video make up for it many times over. Before the RP, I'd get maybe an average of a minute of good video from a flight. Now, almost all the video from the entire flight is watchable.

-- Roger

I totally agree :)

Cyclone said:
Electric Warrior, I hadnt thought of it being canadian dollars. Just assumed it was the normal dollar, It does makes it cheaper :)

If I recall correctly, RP's prices are in US $'s.....at least they were when I bought mine in April.

I got the new TX for Christmas and when I set the RC assistant for upgrade, the camera points straight down, and the dial on the new TX does nothing. Also moving the gimbal up/down with the app does nothing. The app shows the gimbal is down max with the red warning light... WTF? When turning on the P2V with the TX off, all is normal. The gimbal is centered and works properly.

UPDATE:

I figured it out. There's a calibration routine in the Phantom Assistant. Smooth as silk now... :D :D :D

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
I got the new TX for Christmas and when I set the RC assistant for upgrade, the camera points straight down, and the dial on the new TX does nothing. Also moving the gimbal up/down with the app does nothing. The app shows the gimbal is down max with the red warning light... WTF? When turning on the P2V with the TX off, all is normal. The gimbal is centered and works properly.

UPDATE:

I figured it out. There's a calibration routine in the Phantom Assistant. Smooth as silk now... :D :D :D

Thanks...
-slinger

Can you please tell us what the calibration routine is. I'm having the same issue. Thanks in advance

Vicrimo said:
gunslinger said:

UPDATE:

Thanks...
-slinger

Can you please tell us what the calibration routine is. I'm having the same issue. Thanks in advance

If you go into the "Phantom Assistant" program and go to the "Basic" tab and the "RC" tab... You'll see "X1 Calibration" in the top right corner. Select that and move the dial all the way to the left and all the way to the right a few times in order to calibrate it. Click "Finish" (I think it says Finish...) and you should be good to go. The camera will still point straight down when you first turn on the P2V, but now you'll be able to control it properly with the dial.

When you first turn the P2V on, you're going to want to hold the dial all the way right in order to avoid bottoming the camera out on whatevrer surface you're taking off from...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor