Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Bresson said:
Very nice gimbal. Hope the final product would enable the use of the lens adapter. :cool:

One of my worries as well! hope that darn adapter becomes available soon so he can get his hands on them.

this design has a small flaw ... you will not be able to use the filter mount for vision :roll:
dji_filter_mount_2.jpg

I wonder why is not possible to make a gimbal that attach on the standard camera mount ...

I've just seen on their website that they offer one of their other gimbals as a kit build at about $100 discount... If they could offer a discount for a kit on this, then that's getting very, very tempting (still need to factor in shipping, UK VAT @20% and import duty, though, calm yourself).

The question that needs to be answered about both the third-party gimbals, though, is how does having a brushless motor next to one of the wifi antennas on the camera affect range?

urgno said:
this design has a small flaw ... you will not be able to use the filter mount for vision :roll:
dji_filter_mount_2.jpg

I wonder why is not possible to make a gimbal that attach on the standard camera mount ...

I remember seeing in a previous correspondence from them that they indicated that they would be modifying their design as soon as they could get their hands on a filter holder from dji (them and the rest of us)

With regards the cost, surely this has got to cost more than their relatively high volume gopro gimbal that I assume uses more off the shelf parts than one created from scratch for the Vision?
I thought that their gopro one was around $450 yet they are indicating $300-$400 for the Vision?

I think they were selling their old gimbal at $400+ when zenmuse was $700.
So now that zenmuse's price is practically halved, they know they have to lower the price accordingly to sell the quantity that they want...

Pass. Perhaps they are using more plastic components? Different motors?

Once again, we await feedback from the users. Price point is important, but if it doesn't deliver stability like the dronexpert gimbal then it might not be a value for money proposition. It will be great to get both videos and user experiences after they've been in users hands for about a month or so.

Pull_Up said:
Pass. Perhaps they are using more plastic components? Different motors?

Once again, we await feedback from the users. Price point is important, but if it doesn't deliver stability like the dronexpert gimbal then it might not be a value for money proposition. It will be great to get both videos and user experiences after they've been in users hands for about a month or so.

Come on now, give em a chance :)
You know ppl listen to you and your opinion matters..

I actually have a pretty good impression about them when I read of their use of 3D printer to prototype this... and also just today I saw their gimbal used on the latest Make Magazine, the one with the huge article about Drones.

Woah, I wasn't dissing 'em! I'll rephrase - if they have managed to come up with equal stability and function to the dronexpert guys at between half and 2/3 the price then they'll clean up in the newly-emerging third-party Vision gimbal market. But I want to hear both first impressions and some one-month-down-the-line experiences from users of both of them.

Lets face it if Rotorpixel can come in nearer the lower end of their price point (and the thing works well) then I'm going to find it difficult not to throw my wife's money at them... ;)

Is the tilt motor on the side away from the compass?
In any case, the tilt motor will be a moving metal magnetic mass quite close to the compass, right?
The mass will move, relative to the compass, whenever the copter rolls.
Since the P2V appears to have critical operational dependance upon the compass
input, this moving magnet could, might possibly, be a problem, I am guessing.

... Does the zenmuse motor live near the compass? If so, then presumably it's ok.... DJI sell it, it must be true....

There's no reason for a gimbal to be super expensive -- the tarot 2d on my P1 works exceptionally well, and was about £100....

Studiowise said:
they indicated that they would be modifying their design as soon as they could get their hands on a filter holder from dji (them and the rest of us)

I had an email yesterday from StudioSport here in France that they expected to have filter holders available in a fortnight's time.

"------ Support technique studioSPORT.fr ------
Bonjour,
Pour le moment le produit est indisponible. Nous devons en recevoir d'ici 15 jours.
Bonne journée,
Cordialement,
Ugo
http://www.studioSPORT.fr"

that translates as,
"Hello, for the moment the product is not available. We expect to receive them here in a fortnight. Have a nice day...etc."

DronePeter said:
Maybe they will use other or cheaper materials.

But the price is half to 2/3 comparing with Dronexperts gimbal .
I don't want to spend 550 euro for a gimbal.

Or Maybe they just won't try to rape us :)

I asked them what if I want to swap to a go pro later on and a few other questions..

We can provide you with a Hero 3 and/or Hero 2 mount which you can
simply swap out with the Vision mount, but you'll need to re-balance
the roll assembly (pretty simple). You'll also need to reconfigure the
gimbal control board with the Hero 2/3 tuning parameter file that we
provide (open the gimbal program, connect the gimbal, click 2 buttons,
and you're done).

No landing gear extensions needed in its current form! The vibration
issue has been theoretically solved - the problem is a particular
joint in the gimbal not being perfectly rigid, so it was acting like a
spring... and the vibration frequency of the Phantom happened to be
close to the resonant frequency of the gimbal joint, so it was causing
all sorts of confusing problems. We have a modified design which is an