Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

DK,
As you suggested, I connected the phantom pitch wire to the original 1 axis gimble, and yes the tilt works.
BUT, when I reconnected the phantom pitch wire to the rotorpixel board, I noticed that the wire that connects the phantom to the rotorpixel board is totally missing the middle wire. It is a 3 pronged connecting on both ends, but the middle wire is missing! This is not right, is it? Shouldn't this connecting wire have 3 wires??
Thanks,
Jim

Gotcher6 said:
DK,
As you suggested, I connected the phantom pitch wire to the original 1 axis gimble, and yes the tilt works.
BUT, when I reconnected the phantom pitch wire to the rotorpixel board, I noticed that the wire that connects the phantom to the rotorpixel board is totally missing the middle wire. It is a 3 pronged connecting on both ends, but the middle wire is missing! This is not right, is it? Shouldn't this connecting wire have 3 wires??
Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim, the Basecam board only needs the two wires: Signal and GND, as it gets + from the power wires. So far so good. Only thing I can imagine wrong, is how the signal wire is connected to the Basecam board. The signal wire should be connected to the RC_Pitch PWM pin. See the documentation here: http://www.basecamelectronics.com/files/v10/SimpleBGC_connection_diagram.pdf

Some (at least one, mine) P2V pitch control cables do not have color coded wires. But all black.

Attachments

• tilt_wire.jpg
    tilt_wire.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 291
DK,
BINGO! You nailed it! I had the pitch control wire upside down to the board. I have full camera tilt now.
Many thanks!

theSelf said:
DKDarkness said:
What flight times are you getting with the stock DJI props?
- only finally had a chance to test the flight time with the p2v & rotorpixel gimbal (had to wait for new props)- and it took only 11 minutes to get from 98% battrey to 25%.. and from approximately 80% and below it required proprtionately more and more throttle to maintain altitude (won't remain at same altitude with left stick in center position)..this is very dissapointing after all the expense and long wait time for the gimbal to be getting these results- (note I have the prop guards and dji filter set attached which of course is extra weight above stock)- don't know why no one else is reporting similar issue..any advice to resolve this would be greatly appreciated

still having issues since installing the gimbal regarding flight times severly reduced (11 minutes or less from 98% battery to 25 % when it should be closer to 16/17 minutes), having to keep adding throttle to maintain altitude (like being in manual mode (holding altitude wise) even though set to gps mode) and noticed today at around 30/29% the power dramatically dropped (not enough power to sustain flight/a hover)- fortunately I was hovering only about a foot off the ground and got it to the ground ok- battery saying 29% when trying to start it up to take off again- not enough power at all to take off, even for a moment even though the battery is saying 29% which under normal circumstances would still be enough to fly..are my batteries messed up? It seems too much of a coincidence this all happened after installing the rotorpixel..(I also have prop guards, the dji filter set and carbon fiber props installed (weight wise)..

before flying- iI checked under the assistant (still using only 1.08) under advanced- battery- (percentage of charge 99%) cell 1 voltage- 4189mV; Cell 2 voltage- 4192mV, cell 3 voltage- 4191mV..vertical gain under 'view' was already set to (stock of) 120% (I also experimented with gain at 150% but no better so far, if not worse flight duration...I'm at a loss as to why this is happening (battery draining so fast and not being able to hold altititude for long..basically towards the end with the left stick centered it is descending to a couple of inches above the ground and then climbing a little (I guess due to sensing the ground is near, climbing a few inches then descending again- essentially 'bouncing' up and down until eventually it doesn't have the power to ascend again and starts touching the ground and need more throttle to climb away)-

would appreciate anyone's advice to resolve this as after all this time and expense to finaly get the rotorpixel up and running I don't feel like flying it at all because of these power and flight time issues, concerned it might lose power mid flight when it shouldn't do..thank you in advance for anyone's feedback

I created a 360° Aerial Virtual Tour near the Hammond, Indiana marina, which is close to Chicago, IL his past summer using my PV2, stock camera and Rotorpixel gimbal. The video clip is embedded within the tour.

http://aerialxpressions.com/hammond-mar ... -panorama/

I also created this Virtual Tour of the Indiana Dunes State Park which is located in Porter County, Indiana. The video was created with my PV2, stock camera and Rotorpixel Gimbal. The video is embedded within the tour.

http://aerialxpressions.com/indiana-dunes-state-park/

theSelf said:
DKDarkness said:
Hi- only finally had a chance to test the flight time with the p2v & rotorpixel gimbal (had to wait for new props)- and it took only 11 minutes to get from 98% battrey to 25%.. and from approximately 80% and below it required proprtionately more and more throttle to maintain altitude (won't remain at same altitude with left stick in center position)..this is very dissapointing after all the expense and long wait time for the gimbal to be getting these results- (note I have the prop guards and dji filter set attached which of course is extra weight above stock)- don't know why no one else is reporting similar issue..any advice to resolve this would be greatly appreciated

The Maximum Takingoff Weight is 1350 grams. How heavy is your P2V with rotorpixel gimbal at taking off?

yali said:
theSelf said:
DKDarkness said:
Hi- only finally had a chance to test the flight time with the p2v & rotorpixel gimbal (had to wait for new props)- and it took only 11 minutes to get from 98% battrey to 25%.. and from approximately 80% and below it required proprtionately more and more throttle to maintain altitude (won't remain at same altitude with left stick in center position)..this is very dissapointing after all the expense and long wait time for the gimbal to be getting these results- (note I have the prop guards and dji filter set attached which of course is extra weight above stock)- don't know why no one else is reporting similar issue..any advice to resolve this would be greatly appreciated

The Maximum Takingoff Weight is 1350 grams. How heavy is your P2V with rotorpixel gimbal at taking off?
my weighing scale only goes up to 1000g..my body weighing scale cannot be that accurate and is in pounds- the diference with and without the p2v is 3.2 pounds- converted that's 1451 g- but don't know how acurate that is and more to the point others who have the rotorpixel and filter set etc exactly like me aren't reporting the same issues (I also have the more recent rotorpixel with the smaller, lighter motors than the original which had larger, heavier ones)..the fact the power cut dramatically around 29/30%.. is that a clue to it being an issue with the battery or even some of the settings in the assistant software? what does the latest firmware do in terms of updating batteries and addressing issues? thank you anyone..

I remember you said you have prop guard, which is around 100 grams, and lens filter, which adds more!. I guess you are way overweight than maximum allowed

yali said:
I remember you said you have prop guard, which is around 100 grams, and lens filter, which adds more!. I guess you are way overweight than maximum allowed

what about the dramatic and sudden power loss around 30% battery though? Isn't anyon eelse running the rotorpixel without issue with lens filter and props guards as well?

theSelf said:
yali said:
DKDarkness said:

Since the battery is detachable, you could weigh the body and battery separately and figure out the total weight that way? Simon Newton just posted a test of the new thrust propellers on his youtube channel using a 1400g Phantom 2 as a test craft. Flight times: Stock propellers: 13:30 to first battery warning. New thrust propellers: 12:52 to first battery warning.

Well I had another accident, the gimbal came apart at both motors and the camera was also jarred lose. I have had several other times when I could reset the accelerometers, by holding the camera still with the motors disconnected. However that procedure is not working this time. The gimbal pitch is fine, but the roll is right side down. It seems like everything is working, I just cannot get it to reset.

Geert said:
DKDarkness said:
Since the battery is detachable, you could weigh the body and battery separately and figure out the total weight that way? Simon Newton just posted a test of the new thrust propellers on his youtube channel using a 1400g Phantom 2 as a test craft. Flight times: Stock propellers: 13:30 to first battery warning. New thrust propellers: 12:52 to first battery warning.

That's a bit weird. I did some flights around 17 minutes. :?
My P2V weights 1440g. Recently added 2 lightweight antennas. Will test again in the next days.

Geert./.
unformtuantely my p2v with rotorpixel & prop guards, even with the props and battery removed is more than 1000g..waiting for my fire bolt quick release attachments to quickly remove the prop guards to arrive to se if it gets below 1000g without the guards..

I went to my proving grounds today in 20° weather and 15-20 mph wind gusts to see how the Rotorpixel gimbal and PV2 would respond to wind and cold...you decide for yourself. As a side note, a total of 11 minutes of flight time.

http://youtu.be/lRSLxJvSoH0

Geert said:
Hopefully Keri will come up with something soon. I mean very soon. :D

Geert./.

You know something don't you? :D

I had ordered one of these away back in March. Then the V+ came out and so I cancelled and ordered one of those instead. Glad I did. That's a nine month wait if the last of the back orders are just being shipped now. I still have the P2V but it's sitting in its case unused. Useful as a back up, but when you're used to gimballed footage it really looks shaky.

Geert said:
No, I don't have any news about the upgrade yet. But since there are no back orders any longer, my guess is that Keri will surprise us with an upgrade before Christmas. :D :p
Geert./.

I'll probably, if I'm lucky, only be flying a few times between now and March... So... It'd be a real nice time to install that third motor and take my time tweaking it all in... :D

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT