Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Just did a test flight in GPS mode- pleased with the results- the only thing I noticed is the p2v doesn't hold altitide as well with the left stick centred (I assume because of the extra weight with the rotorpixel added)- do I need to change any further settings to ensure more power is added to hold the altitude with the extra gimbal weight.. or anything else needed? More powerful motors or different propellers?

Cyclone said:
^ Do you have a link for that sun hood?
that's a diy sun hood I made- see this video for diy nd filter and diy sun hood for gopro that inspired me - I just adapted for the p2v camera (hot glued to the dji filter kit (filters can still be removed/replaced with it there)- (obviously only useful when the sun is high and normally projecting the propellers' shadows onto the lens- an ND filter will help take out the prop shadows too as well as any jello-
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyl_6E9QmZ4[/youtube]

Geert said:
theSelf said:
Just did a test flight in GPS mode- pleased with the results- the only thing I noticed is the p2v doesn't hold altitide as well with the left stick centred (I assume because of the extra weight with the rotorpixel added)- do I need to change any further settings to ensure more power is added to hold the altitude with the extra gimbal weight.. or anything else needed? More powerful motors or different propellers?

Happy to hear it worked out with your gimbal.
Normally you should not change any settings at all, nor use more powerful motors or different props.
I suggest you recalibrate your sticks and it is also a good idea to do an advanced IMU.

Geert./.
Thanks Geert- I've recalibrated the stick and see the option in teh assistant to an advanced IMU yet my values showing currently are within teh limits they are supposed to be in..I did a basic IMU calibration just now.. Did you find yourself if there was any difference in the p2v's ability to hold altitude after your rotorpixel installation compared to before?

privy said:
Looks like stock landing gear cut and glued to the installed gear. May be wrong but that's what my eyes see. I do like that idea. I've been looking for inventive ways to extend my stock landing gear. I'm just not a fan of the look of the wider and taller ones.
Why dont you just buy P2V+ landing gear? Its about half inch taller and not expensive. I have it on my P2V with Cyclops gimbal.

dave21 said:
privy said:
Looks like stock landing gear cut and glued to the installed gear. May be wrong but that's what my eyes see. I do like that idea. I've been looking for inventive ways to extend my stock landing gear. I'm just not a fan of the look of the wider and taller ones.
Why dont you just buy P2V+ landing gear? Its about half inch taller and not expensive. I have it on my P2V with Cyclops gimbal.
do you have the stock p2v+ landing gear yourself to confirm it is indeed half an inch longer, as on another thread someone said the p2v+ landing gear is exactly the same size/length as the p2v's landing gear..?

theSelf said:
dave21 said:
privy said:
do you have the stock p2v+ landing gear yourself to confirm it is indeed half an inch longer, as on another thread someone said the p2v+ landing gear is exactly the same size/length as the p2v's landing gear..?
Yes I have it installed on my P2V. Its a bit longer at its upper part where the skid widens to the holder part. See photo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414537298352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414537298352.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 280
Yes I have it installed on my P2V. Its a bit longer at its upper part where the skid widens to the holder part. See photo
great- thank you-good to know- is it pretty easy to reinstall the compass and its cable onto new legs?

theSelf said:
great- thank you-good to know- is it pretty easy to reinstall the compass and its cable onto new legs?
No problem with that. Just be careful when pulling the compas through the hole in the gear. Its quite tip top.

Geert said:
theSelf said:
Thanks Geert- I've recalibrated the stick and see the option in teh assistant to an advanced IMU yet my values showing currently are within teh limits they are supposed to be in..I did a basic IMU calibration just now.. Did you find yourself if there was any difference in the p2v's ability to hold altitude after your rotorpixel installation compared to before?

I didn't notice any difference in keeping altitude after the gimbal installation. When the sticks are centered, the Phantom hoovers and keeps his altitude just like before.

Geert./.
I just did another flight- and the p2v loses power so much quicker with the rotorpixel- worse still around 30% battery power left (which it dropped to suddenly) I couldn't hold altitude at all- wasn't enough power and the p2v descended uncontrollably down into a bush damaging the props (just ordered more carbon fiber props as a result- any props anyone recommends?).. (when at 30% without the rotorpixel it still could maintain altitude/a safe descent rate to land safely).. I really need to fix this- it's like at the lower battery capacities, even though there is charge left in the battery- the lower charge isn't enough power/producing enough rpms to maintain flight- I noticed in general as the battery gradually discharged in flight the p2v required proportionally more and more throttle to maintain enough power to maintain altitude till around the 30% mark where it couldn't maintain altitude at all..quite concerning..any advice form anyone would be greatly appreciated to solve this!

If anyones waiting I've got a new unused item in the classifieds for the price I paid, just looking to get my $$ back and buy more camera gear..

Geert said:
Don_TLR said:
If anyones waiting I've got a new unused item in the classifieds for the price I paid, just looking to get my $$ back and buy more camera gear..

Why are you selling your Rotorpixel gimbal ?

Geert./.

Because I don't have the copter anymore. I Never installed it.. Got busy with my photography trips and the copter always stays at home so I sold it and now this needs to go.

For those of you wondering if the new tx will work with the rotorpixel gimbal, let me tell you it does :D . I got mine from dji yesterday and paired it with out a hitch. Calibrated the left dial and everything works like a charm. The movement from the dial is very smooth and precise in my opinion.

Vicrimo said:
For those of you wondering if the new tx will work with the rotorpixel gimbal, let me tell you it does :D . I got mine from dji yesterday and paired it with out a hitch. Calibrated the left dial and everything works like a charm. The movement from the dial is very smooth and precise in my opinion.

Can you control tilt/pitch speed?

Vicrimo said:

Did you calibrate in 3.08, X-1?

AnselA said:
Vicrimo said:

Can you control tilt/pitch speed?

Haven't played with the speed yet. I'll try it out later. Right now I have it set at 100 and that's good enough for me.

artsribanpot said:
Vicrimo said:

Did you calibrate in 3.08, X-1?

Yes I did.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl