Rotating drone a precise amount of degrees

Reaction score
If I want to take a series of pictures while rotating my P4Pv2.0 360 degrees, is there a way to do this precisely? Let's say I want each view to be exactly 15 degrees rotated from the previous view, so that after 24 pictures have been taken, the drone will have completed one full 360 rotation. Any ideas how to pull this off (other than just having highly skilled control over the joystick)?

Thanks,
Matt

If I want to take a series of pictures while rotating my P4Pv2.0 360 degrees, is there a way to do this precisely? Let's say I want each view to be exactly 15 degrees rotated from the previous view, so that after 24 pictures have been taken, the drone will have completed one full 360 rotation. Any ideas how to pull this off (other than just having highly skilled control over the joystick)?
No, but do you really need it anyway?
If you were to rotate only 15° there would be a very large overlap because your drone's camera has a very wideangle lens.
You might be able to achieve what you want by turning on the viewing grid and watching what is on the edge of the frame in one image and where that fits on the grid in the next image.
If you haven't been using the viewing grid, it's a useful aid for precise composition.
i-5cfZZ9H-L.png

Thanks,
Matt
Hangar360 free app does this.

I don't know about that. They process the photos and email a link to the 360 pano.
Here is a thread that should be read by those interested in using Hangar360. When something is free, you are the product. :)

Truth be told this is a couple years old. But unless something has changed then I’d be wary. It’s not on their website but I think they stick these conditions in the app. That’s why I deleted it long ago and never used it. So if interested then download the app and be on the lookout for the fine print.

“The large print giveth but the small print taketh away.” -Tom Waits. :)

You can use Hangar360 to shoot your images but do not have to have Hangar process them. Use the app if you need to to capture the images but don’t upload them. It does a solid job, but honestly, it is faster to manually capture the images. You don’t need a precise overlap to get a seamless stitch. I usually shoot a 75% overlap in three layers- 360 with gimbal at 90 degrees, 60 degrees, and 25 degrees, with a final image straight down.

I highly recommend PTGui for stitching 360 panos, VR footage, and stitched mosaics. I think there is a free version but the Pro version is also inexpensive with some nice features. Being able to manually control and mask the overlap in images is huge.

As said above, you don’t need to be too precise on the rotation. What’s more important is not to have too much drift either horizontally or vertically- which could cause parallax problems in stitching.

When doing a pano - and I rarely do 360x180 on the drone but same principals apply- I get into position, wait for the bird to settle and pay attention to my altitude & try to shoot all frames at exact the same height, adjusting slightly up or down if it moves between frames.

If doing multirow panos:
Have your gridlines visible on screen and use them to get your rotation or rows. For example find a detail near the center of the scene and rotate camera up until that centerpoint is at bottom of the screen, shoot, use C-1 button to re-center camera, shoot, rotate camera down until centerpoint is near top, shoot, recenter and rotate drone until center point is and left side of screen and repeat. And again, etc.

Takes way longer to explain than to do it.
This is 3 rows- 3 Frames across and 3 Frames vertically. Stitched easily in Lightroom
Phantom 3pro

IMG_0890.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.