Amazing 360x180 P3P Panoramic from 500ft above my house

My first attempt at this directly overhead at 500 feet resulted in a loss of signal, and the Phantom repeatedly descending to Return Home! I suggest trying it at some distance out in front of you!

If you are going straight up, don't forget to reorient your antennas on the RC to be horizontal.

If you are going straight up, don't forget to reorient your antennas on the RC to be horizontal.
I did, to no avail. Even turned the transmitter upside down overhead to make sure the Air 2 itself wasn't interfereing with the signal! Operation was completed with the red "Weak Signal" warning continuously on the screen, with a single yellow bar on the antenna strength. Weird! Might have been some new WiFi interference on Channel 20. I'll have to check and install the channel expansion hack, in case it is needed.:cool:

How about an initial waypoint including height then return / auto land for a complete no touch mission?
www.MapsMadeEasy.com offers a free iOS software app, usable on the P3P as soon as Way Points are enabled, which will do something very similar for full 3D map creations, just like Apple Maps when you change from 2D to 3D. You then license the processing of the images from them to create the 3D map. If you buy your drone from DronesMadeEasy.com they offer 6 free maps a month. Currently only works with the P2V2+. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks intriguing. Waiting for P3P waypoints! :cool:

Nice! But for some reason the Photosynth ones don't pan/tilt with the iPad/Chrome like the other ones. You have to touch-drag to see.

Photosynth also appears to be a dead product. It's been abandoned by MS, won't take stills from 4K videos, requires all the images to already be in the correct order, and requires establishing a Microsoft account just to find all this out! Not recommended!

Just about the coolest thread I have seen... Thanks for sharing!!

So I spent the weekend creating my own 360x120 from 24 DNG stills (3 elevations of 8 shots per row at every 45°) that I optimized in Lightroom and then exported as jpg's. I then used the free trial of PTgui to convert those jpg's into an Equirectangular projection panorama. Using the Panorama Editor in PTgui, I then pulled and pushed the wavy horizon around on the previewed panorama into a level, almost straight line, and created the 360°x120° output file. I then used the Publish to Website tool in PTgui to create the output files for my website. I disabled both Auto Rotate and Gyroscope Navigation in the settings before creation, as they both drove me nuts! The resulting site runs great on my Desktop, my Mini Retina and my iPhone 6+, but crashes on a Windows cell phone and an older iPad Mini. I then tried using a trial version of Panorama Studio Pro 2.6.7 on the final PTgui panorama file to create their "Save as interactive Panorama/Zoom Image" as an Interactive 3D Panorama. Worked great. Final output display on the web has both company's watermarks all over it, but not so that you can't see your output. The Panorama Studio Pro output won't crash on any of the tested devices, because it loads and unloads detailed tiles of the image as you zoom in, instead of loading all 20 MB at once like the PTgui output. I like them both! I tried Photosynth, too, and could never get it to work properly, and it wouldn't accept a finished panorama from the other programs either, so I gave up on it, and it is how a dead product on mobile devices as of July, and they have removed the app from the App Store on iOS and Google Play Store on Android. PTgui and Panorama Studio are both about $100 each to get rid of the watermarks. These interactive output files are almost better than a YouTube video of the flight! You can interactively see anything in any direction and zoom in, and are not limited to the direction the camera was facing while flying, like you are in a video!:cool:

Last edited:
Nice! But for some reason the Photosynth ones don't pan/tilt with the iPad/Chrome like the other ones. You have to touch-drag to see.
That pan/tilt Gyroscope Navigation of PTgui will drive you nuts. There is no way to disable it, if you create the files with it enabled in the PTgui settings. Also, the Auto Rotae is best left off, too. It gets really annoying very quickly, especially when it tips to the top of the sphere everytime you reload the tab! No big loss!:cool:

anybody using Photosynth? Video panos take about 60 seconds to shoot (slow rotation pointed low, medium and high) and maybe 10 minutes to process by the software.
I've got a ton of these on the Photosynth web site....link below to one....

https://photosynth.net/view.aspx?ci...177437415638:-0.924854320685842&p=0:0&t=False
I wish these were still available to create. It refuses to extract stills from the P3P 4K video, and won't accept the output panoramas created by any other program, and their own creation has the wavy line uncorrected horizon line that only the PTgui panorma editor can straighten. Is there some trick that I am missing that you used to create yours? Having them host them would be a big advantage.

Hey GadgetGuy, you really helped me! I have a wonderful interactive 360x120 panorama now. It's just my neighborhood, big deal, but I made it and it is like looking through a window. I personally like the pan and tilt feature of the mobile browsers! Thanks again.

I'm still stuck in 1080 video with 2V+....but to do quick documentation - photosynth works great for me. Pop up above a piece of real estate - show the surrounding area, and even key frame points of interest. Maybe its not art - but its crazy simple for 1080.

Hey GadgetGuy, you really helped me! I have a wonderful interactive 360x120 panorama now. It's just my neighborhood, big deal, but I made it and it is like looking through a window. I personally like the pan and tilt feature of the mobile browsers! Thanks again.
Awesome! Glad to help! Domenic started something really cool, and we just refined it for him, and ourselves, cutting the necessary work by 90%. I might go back to enabling the pan and tilt Gyroscope Navigation, but the Auto Rotate, while it initially calls attention to the interactiveness of the panorama, kept changing my carefully selected zoomed in view, if I didn't change the view or touch the screen every 10 seconds. Made it really difficult to compare quality settings in the final output on zoomed in views in different browser tabs, when testing the impact changing the quality of the jpg's made, to reduce bandwidth use, and loading times. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm still stuck in 1080 video with 2V+....but to do quick documentation - photosynth works great for me. Pop up above a piece of real estate - show the surrounding area, and even key frame points of interest. Maybe its not art - but its crazy simple for 1080.
Might have to create some 1080 videos just to try that feature. With nothing other than 4K already recorded, I couldn't try the extracting video frames option, and using my stills from my panorama shoot resulted in a wonky wavy horizon which was the kiss of death in PTgui, until I used their Panorama Editor, and I couldn't find a way to straighten the horizon in the Photosynth program. Is there a way that I missed, or did all your horizons come out level?

I am struggling to get a sphere view. I have taken all the single shots, and used Lightroom to merge. I have a nice strip pano of my shot (some stitching errors), but I cannot turn it into a spherical pano. I exported a JPG from Lightroom and uploaded to Google views, but just the flat pano was there.

Thoughts? Am I missing a step?

Here you go, and thanks again!!!

http://solo.dc3.com/ptgui/phond/DJI_0078 Panorama.htm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439954574.543528.jpg

I am struggling to get a sphere view. I have taken all the single shots, and used Lightroom to merge. I have a nice strip pano of my shot (some stitching errors), but I cannot turn it into a spherical pano. I exported a JPG from Lightroom and uploaded to Google views, but just the flat pano was there.

Thoughts? Am I missing a step?
Unfortunately, unless I missed something, neither a LR nor a PS panorama stitch can create the correct type of panorama necessary to generate the desired sphere panorama. Believe me, I tried. If it were possible, you could get rid of the watermarks created by the other products during their stitching process, as the PTgui web output files don't create the watermark, if you create the panorama yourself. You need to use PTgui for the stitching and the panorama editing to level out the swirly horizon in the panorama, by pushing and pulling and stretching the image to level it in their panorama editor. Otherwise, your horizon will be sliding uphill and downhill as you move around in the image. Once you have done that, use the Publish to Website tool in PTgui, to generate the output files for the web. I just rename the *.htm file to index.html and drop them all into a directory on my website, which I then use as the url for the sphere. To test it on your computer, just launch the *.htm file, or the renamed index.html file.

Unfortunately, unless I missed something, neither a LR nor a PS panorama stitch can create the correct type of panorama necessary to generate the desired sphere panorama. Believe me, I tried.

Thanks, I've tried pretty hatd too. I will have to check out ptgui.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.