Rookie question

Reaction score
Getting ready for first flight on Standard. Bought it used. How do I know if my firmware is up to date and ready to go? Also do I need to do anything with the sd card. I haven't take it out or anything. I have downloaded the DJI app to my tablet. I was getting ready to calibrated the compass. Anyone have a good pre flight checklist. I will keep reading just didn't know about the firmware. Thanks

How do I know if my firmware is up to date and ready to go?
Firmware updates are always optional. If it flies to your satisfaction as is, don't change a thing. You can see the firmware version in the app.

Getting ready for first flight on Standard. Bought it used. How do I know if my firmware is up to date and ready to go? Also do I need to do anything with the sd card. I haven't take it out or anything. I have downloaded the DJI app to my tablet. I was getting ready to calibrated the compass. Anyone have a good pre flight checklist. I will keep reading just didn't know about the firmware. Thanks
Calibrating the compass will not hurt. As far as everything else, if it will power up and fly without errors, just leave things as they are for the time being if they are working, until you get more familiar with your new friend.

There are those like me who look at firmware updates like changing the air in your tires. Others feel like there is a benefit to having the latest and greatest software.

And I wouldn't even format the SD card yet. You never know what is on it, and you might find something you could use later.

At first, just take baby steps. Good Luck.

Well I got the firmware updated somehow. Got everything good to go. On my screen it is green and telling me ready to fly GPS. Had 9 satellites. When I moved my sticks diagonal to start it tells me it is ready to fly. It doesn't say " Home point has been updated" It says home point is far away. I think it may be recognizing the home point of the previous owner. Don't think it would make it back there. I need to find out how to put new home point in. It carried me trough a few steps but I didn't succeed. I did fly it around in the yard a little. It held its position good and the camera works good. Any suggestions. Thanks

Getting ready for first flight on Standard. Bought it used. How do I know if my firmware is up to date and ready to go? Also do I need to do anything with the sd card. I haven't take it out or anything. I have downloaded the DJI app to my tablet. I was getting ready to calibrated the compass. Anyone have a good pre flight checklist. I will keep reading just didn't know about the firmware. Thanks[/QUOT
Welcome, Happy Sky Trails to You.!Phantom 3 Standard Checklist

I think it may be recognizing the home point of the previous owner. Don't think it would make it back there. I need to find out how to put new home point in. It carried me trough a few steps but I didn't succeed. I did fly it around in the yard a little.
No, it is not recognizing a different home point. This is based on GPS lock. You can check the maps before takeoff. Home points are never manually entered. This depends on GPS lock prior to takeoff, which can be changed in flight, but that is another issue.

Just to add to the above, Home Points are only assigned firstly at the launch point. It does not matter what any previous home point was. That will be re-assigned after GPS lock. ( You will see this ). Each time you fly, the process repeats and assigns the home point in relation to the position of the aircraft. Unless you fly from the exact same point every time, each one will be different.

That makes sense. Never thought of that. You had commented on the Galaxy Tab A tablet. I am new to this so I really don't know much about it. I thought I was buying something that would work. It is the 16 GB version with wi fi only. If I uninstall or disable all the apps it will let me will it work ok. I am not going to use it for anything else.
On the other hand you say you have a Galaxy tab2-8. If this is the tablet I need. I can take the one I have back. I would consider buying a refurbished one on ebay.

If you go in to settings and Developer mode in a SAMSUNG Tab A.....theirs a few nice things that you can change their too...it sure tweaked mine nicely.

Did you uninstall things you don't need. I don't need calculator, my files, gallery, camera, email, play music, secure folder, contacts. I am just going to use it to fly the drone. I think it is on the list dji puts out.
I am new to this and I was wondering do you have a cord that you connect to you controller. In some videos guys have their controller and tablet connected. Don't understand that part. I flew mine in the yard yesterday evening. Only problem I had was home point.
Is your tablet 16gb and wi fi only also? Still learning. I just don't want something that would not work and cause me to crash. If the picture is a little slow I can live with that.

In some videos guys have their controller and tablet connected. Don't understand that part.
The P3 Standard uses Wi-Fi only for operation and does not use a USB cable. That said, the P3A and P3P do not use wi-fi to connect to the FPV device, hence the USB cable. They utilize "Lightbridge" for communications with the aircraft which is much less susceptible to interference and provides greater range. That is one of the primary differences between the P3's.

Read and re-read the manual. I have a copy on all my computers and flight devices. I Learn something new often. Especially what I forgot!
And as others have mentioned, baby steps and build confidence in the system. Takes time. Enjoy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20