Roll motor issues

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm new to this drone thing but here goes with my problem and hope someone can help.
I bought my phantom 3 standard second hand with gimbal crash damage,
I replaced roll motor with arm already installed and fitted a new cable.
Turned on drone and it worked straight away.
However, if I tilt the drone over too far the roll motor makes weird noises and stops working. Everything else still works except the roll action.
If I turn it off for a few mins then it works again unless I tilt it too far. Any ideas how I sort this problem out.
One of my friends suggested that the potentiometer on the roll circuit board is damaged but I don't want to spend money on a new board if it is something else.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks John

Reactions: Saldivar Engineer
Check the potentiometer. It's easy. Set your multimeter on ohms. Take off the back to lift the potentiometer off the motor shaft. Put one lead from your meter to the top of the potentiometer. You'll see the solder joint. There are two on the bottom on each side. Put the other lead on either one it doesn't matter. I forget the values. Let's use the # 8 for an example. When the potentiometer is turned the top reading will be 8. When turned a quarter of a turn, it will read 4. The other contact will also be 4. Turn it another quarter of a turn and it will be zero. The other contact will be 8. As one side goes down the other side goes up. It's good. They do crack easily. You won't be able to see the crack. You can do the test again with a little pressure on one side to see if it is cracked. Sorry I can't remember the values, but I think you'll get the idea.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll test it tomorrow when I finish work and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20