RF power measurements

Controller test was a surprise to say the least. The GL300A killed it paired to my P4. 16200 ft. I turned around because of battery worries. Ended up not being a problem as i flew out into a 9 mph head wind. Coming back was much easier this time.

Hi. I need some advice. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy the Inspire radio for my P4. I can get it at a great price but what are all the advantages and would you recommend it. Also can you confirm if this model would work. Sorry for what might be stupid questions but new to this awesome experience.

Attachments

• IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    735.4 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    772.2 KB · Views: 494
Hi. I need some advice. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy the Inspire radio for my P4. I can get it at a great price but what are all the advantages and would you recommend it. Also can you confirm if this model would work. Sorry for what might be stupid questions but new to this awesome experience.
The Inspire controller is model GL658. There are three versions, A, B , & C, you'll see this model version printed on the back of the RC "GL658A". ANY VERSION will work better than the GL300C that comes with the P4 craft. I fly with the GL658A, as shown in my measurements. DACON uses the GL658C, which is the newest version, potentially higher output. However MaxxUAS has suggested the craft that's linked will adjust the power of the controller to a certain level, so it's unclear if the C version works any better than the A version. Be assured any Inspire controller works better than GL300C. FYI, all of the controls work the same even though the label is different on the mode switch.

One thing to realize, the Inspire controller cannot update the firmware of the P4. You need to keep the GL300C to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: amstar and hotashes

Better to invest in a proper booster. No problems with updates and better range and penetration than any inspire controller. If you later decide to change to another 2.4GHz drone (Lightbridge 2 or other) then you can still use the amplifiers but not your inspire remote

Better to invest in a proper booster. No problems with updates and better range and penetration than any inspire controller. If you later decide to change to another 2.4GHz drone (Lightbridge 2 or other) then you can still use the amplifiers but not your inspire remote
Yes, booster amps are more effective to go farther than stock batteries can fly. However I prefer not to add the bulk and weight of another battery and two amps to the RC setup. I did that before with another drone, I wasn't partial to all the cable mess, modifying the RC (void warranty) and aesthetics. Since I'm OK with a 3 mile range using the GL658A, and my flight batteries won't go any farther (assuming some loiter time) the Inspire controller works fine for me without the extra hassle of charging another battery for the amps. That's just me, I like simplicity, and less chargers and weight when I'm on the road or trail.

I've never had any problems updating, it always works for me. I'm unsure what your point was there.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBV
That makes absolutely no difference it transmit power.
N017 is correct Dacon. Moving the RC antennas around is like fddling with a TV rabbit ears. Their position with respect to each other and the bird may affect signal transmission and reception, but there is no effect on RF power.

Controller test was a surprise to say the least. The GL300A killed it paired to my P4. 16200 ft. I turned around because of battery worries. Ended up not being a problem as i flew out into a 9 mph head wind. Coming back was much easier this time.
Just found and read whole thread. So, did you ever do your comparison test with all three rc's same day same location?

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jlrsn
As I said before guys. The remote when paired to the different birds adjusts power output to stay on level with the original remote for that bird.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

As I said before guys. The remote when paired to the different birds adjusts power output to stay on level with the original remote for that bird.

So to speak is the end result inspire A or C rc if you don't want mods and better range, alternatively if you are prepared to do the controller mod then it doesn't matter which controller is used GL658 or GL300? Excuse me guys I'm in the uk and a total newb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was only allowed one remote, it would the the GL658C modded or stock.

No matter what you use you do not want a gl_ _ _ "B" as they are made from a brittle plastic and are a disaster inside.

If I was only allowed one remote, it would the the GL658C modded or stock.

No matter what you use you do not want a gl_ _ _ "B" as they are made from a brittle plastic and are a disaster inside.

Dang I had read that, but when it's your first time talking rc and drones not everything sinks in the brain. I'm glad you bring this to my attention as I was just very close to get a GL658B from the bay. Do you suggest I give this a miss? Alternatively I could get my hands on the GL300A at a reasonable price, shall I just get this to replace my P4 stock C grade rc and mod the GL300A? Or wait and see if I can get my hands on a GL658C?

Edit: The GL300A I can get my hands on has the hd out mod also, which makes it more value for money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Get the GL300A

Thanks for your advice pal, currently talking to another forum member who is very helpful, and they suggest I should order the DBS2.2 antenna without amps as I live in uk and believes here we have the dji go app with restrictions so the amps will not be needed. I'm not saying the person is wrong as I mentioned they are helpful but a second opinion is needed as they did advise I speak to the guys at MaxxUAV. Thanks dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj