RF power measurements

John and Kyle, please post a picture of the Inspire RC paired to the P4 and go to the ABOUT page to see the GO app, drone and RC current FW. I guess I know why the Tx power on Inspire RC drops when paired to P4.

I don't have a p4 at the moment to pair with. What are your thoughts / ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

John and Kyle, please post a picture of the Inspire RC paired to the P4 and go to the ABOUT page to see the GO app, drone and RC current FW. I guess I know why the Tx power on Inspire RC drops when paired to P4.
Care to share your theory why?

I know the app doesn't show the drone firmware version. I also know the Inspire controller cannot update the P4 firmware. But what does that have to do with adjusting the controller transmit power?

If you've noticed, with the P4 craft off, when you start the GO app it shows the Inspire, because it's attached to an inspire controller via USB. But when you turn on the P4 craft that's linked to the controller, the app quickly switches to the P4 version in the app. Quite clever. The app clearly knows what craft is connected, but why would DJI go to all the trouble to have dynamic power output capability, adjusting the RF output?

Last edited:
Actually my Inspire C RC paired with the P4 does show the drone firmware.
Here is the secret and why:
BEFORE
P4 RC had generic 1.6.0
Inspire RC had generic 1.6.0
Since both RC had the same generic, the GO app did not get all the info since it saw the P4 but not the right RC.
AFTER
Inspire RC had a generic update a while ago to 1.7.40 and now when paired to the P4 the GO app it known that is a different RC and shows all the data correct. Tx power from Inspire RC paired to P4 is much better than the original P4 RC, tested many times on different P4 units.

pic 1.PNG
pic 2.PNG

I picked up a GL300A a few weeks ago to pair to my P4.
I tested it against my stock 300C controller.
I live on a lake/river surrounded by trees in a semi rural area.

Day#1 i made 2 runs. First, with the original 300C, Second w/300A controller.
I purposely located myself on the lake to have some tree interference between me and the bird.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
300C Controller = 6364 ft

300A = 6600 ft

Day#2 i moved my location to have as clear a run as possible.

300A = 11416 ft

300C = 12688 ft

I flew these all until i received a Weak Transmitter Signal warning. The first flight did disconnect and start a RTH.
The part that concerns me is that i am losing control first , not video ??
Am not seeing any range improvement with the older 300A.

Very interesting about the output change when linking a 658 to a P4??
Would like to see if this is what happens when linking the older P3P ( GL300A ) to a P4.
main

Last edited:
Actually my Inspire C RC paired with the P4 does show the drone firmware.
Here is the secret and why:
BEFORE
P4 RC had generic 1.6.0
Inspire RC had generic 1.6.0
Since both RC had the same generic, the GO app did not get all the info since it saw the P4 but not the right RC.
AFTER
Inspire RC had a generic update a while ago to 1.7.40 and now when paired to the P4 the GO app it known that is a different RC and shows all the data correct. Tx power from Inspire RC paired to P4 is much better than the original P4 RC, tested many times on different P4 units.
I'm sorry, but I'm not following your explanation about the controller RF power throttling. So yeah, it's good that newer Go app version will now show the craft F/W version in "ABOUT", that's an improvement in the app which I'm not using yet. What does that have to do with RF power output throttling?

I picked up a GL300A a few weeks ago to pair to my P4.
I tested it against my stock 300C controller.
I live on a lake/river surrounded by trees in a semi rural area.

Day#1 i made 2 runs. First, with the original 300C, Second w/300A controller.
I purposely located myself on the lake to have some tree interference between me and the bird.

300C Controller = 6364 ft

300A = 6600 ft

Day#2 i moved my location to have as clear a run as possible.

300A = 11416 ft

300C = 12688 ft

I flew these all until i received a Weak Transmitter Signal warning. The first flight did disconnect and start a RTH.
The part that concerns me is that i am losing control first , not video ??
Am not seeing any range improvement with the older 300A.

Very interesting about the output change when linking a 658 to a P4??
Would like to see if this is what happens when linking the older P3P ( GL300A ) to a P4.
main
That's some interesting data Turbomania, thanks for sharing.

You mentioned the first flight disconnected and started an RTH. Was that with the GL300C or A?

With my GL300C, I was always getting CONTROL disconnects first when using my P4 controller, and most the time this triggers RTH. This would happen quite often at 3000ft to 4000ft distances, in the same flight locations I can go 11,000ft with my P3P without control disconnects or video disconnects. When these P4 disconnects occur while using P4 controller, I do not lose video first, I lose control signal first, which triggers video to turn off. Contrary, with my P3P, when I reach a fringe area (usually beyond 10,000ft), I would always lose video first, which is a warning I'm reaching my P3P range limits. However I would ALWAYS have control of my P3P craft when video disconnects, it would NEVER disconnect and auto RTH, NEVER. However with my P4 auto RTH is a common occurrence right out of the blue at moderate distances when using the P4 controller in clear LOS rural or water flight locations. This is my disappointment in the P4. With my P3P, when I lose video I simply ascend about 50 to 100' and my video signal get reconnected. With P4 you don't get that option because the control signal disconnects first, which often initiates RTH. This is exactly why I searched for alternatives. Since I happen to have an Inspire controller in the closet, I tried it out and found a world of difference in range. It flies just like my P3P using the Inspire controller, with the same range and "video lost first" behavior.

Last edited:
That's some interesting data Turbomania, thanks for sharing.

You mentioned the first flight disconnected and started an RTH. Was that with the GL300C or A?

With my GL300C, I was always getting CONTROL disconnects first when using my P4 controller, and most the time this triggers RTH. This would happen quite often at 3000ft to 4000ft distances, in the same flight locations I can go 11,000ft with my P3P without control disconnects or video disconnects. When these P4 disconnects occur while using P4 controller, I do not lose video first, I lose control signal first, which triggers video to turn off. Contrary, with my P3P, when I reach a fringe area (usually beyond 10,000ft), I would always lose video first, which is a warning I'm reaching my P3P range limits. However I would ALWAYS have control of my P3P craft when video disconnects, it would NEVER disconnect and auto RTH, NEVER. However with my P4 auto RTH is a common occurrence right out of the blue at moderate distances when using the P4 controller in clear LOS rural or water flight locations. This is my disappointment in the P4. With my P3P, when I lose video I simply ascend about 50 to 100' and my video signal get reconnected. With P4 you don't get that option because the control signal disconnects first, which often initiates RTH. This is exactly why I searched for alternatives. Since I happen to have an Inspire controller in the closet, I tried it out and found a world of difference in range. It flies just like my P3P using the Inspire controller, with the same range and "video lost first" behavior.
Yes, it was with the C controller. If i flew much past 2/3 bars with either controller it would disconnect. I just chose to see how far i could push run #1.
After a bit more flying today i can't tell one controller from the other. Distance was almost idenical between the two.
Baffled about what is happening with output when linked to a different model bird..

I

Last edited:
Yes, it was with the C controller. If i flew much past 2/3 bars with either controller it would disconnect. I just chose to see how far i could push run #1.
After a bit more flying today i can't tell one controller from the other. Distance was almost idenical between the two.
Baffled about what is happening with output when linked to a different model bird..

I
OK, so with BOTH controllers you experienced a loss of control signal first, which triggers RTH. Very interesting. It would be interesting to measure the output of the GL300A RC with both P3P and P4. I think I'll connect my GL658A to my P3P, something I've never done, because I didn't need to. I'll measure the RF power with that link to see if the GL658A changes in output, compared to when it's linked to the P4.

Not in my case. After I got the P4 in April, very first flight was in front of the house to check it out for about 3 min. The next flight (2nd flight) was out in the desert with P4 RC and Inspire C RC. The distance was 3 1/2 mi one way with the Inspire RC compared to about 1 1/2 mi with the P4 RC. Same distance was duplicated 4 times with my friends P4, Inspire C RC having a lot more range compared to the P4 RC.
John, if you come again to AZ, let me know and will bring my Inspire C RC to pair to your P4 and see for yourself.
At this point I don't care about the range since the battery only lasts for about 7 to 7 1/2 miles flight time. What's the point of flying out 3 miles only to turn back since the battery is at 53%? I fly to get pictures and videos, I want to stay up as long as I can in the area I shoot, therefore I drive to location very close and fly from there. Max distance is 1/2 to 3/4 miles. I can set up a Tx/Rx with LNA and reach out to 50 miles but what's the point when the P4 is limited to the battery?

OK, so with BOTH controllers you experienced a loss of control signal first, which triggers RTH. Very interesting. It would be interesting to measure the output of the GL300A RC with both P3P and P4. I think I'll connect my GL658A to my P3P, something I've never done, because I didn't need to. I'll measure the RF power with that link to see if the GL658A changes in output, compared to when it's linked to the P4.
That would be a good test to see if the power output is determined by what it's linked to.
Kyle has already posted the change from an Inspire to a P4. Seems like legit data but so many have had such good luck with the GL658 Inspire controller.
I wish i had bought the 658C that was available. Specs just don't show much difference. Real world is saying there is, or the 300A's are being throttled back when linked to a P4.

Not in my case. After I got the P4 in April, very first flight was in front of the house to check it out for about 3 min. The next flight (2nd flight) was out in the desert with P4 RC and Inspire C RC. The distance was 3 1/2 mi one way with the Inspire RC compared to about 1 1/2 mi with the P4 RC. Same distance was duplicated 4 times with my friends P4, Inspire C RC having a lot more range compared to the P4 RC.
John, if you come again to AZ, let me know and will bring my Inspire C RC to pair to your P4 and see for yourself.
At this point I don't care about the range since the battery only lasts for about 7 to 7 1/2 miles flight time. What's the point of flying out 3 miles only to turn back since the battery is at 53%? I fly to get pictures and videos, I want to stay up as long as I can in the area I shoot, therefore I drive to location very close and fly from there. Max distance is 1/2 to 3/4 miles. I can set up a Tx/Rx with LNA and reach out to 50 miles but what's the point when the P4 is limited to the battery?
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following your explanation about the controller RF power throttling. So yeah, it's good that newer Go app version will now show the craft F/W version in "ABOUT", that's an improvement in the app which I'm not using yet. What does that have to do with RF power output throttling?

I'm lost too, did you have some theory that we missed @deacon ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have no doubt you can go 3+ miles with GL658C, I've done that with my GL658A in Anaheim hills, I've gone a little over 18000'. My curiosity is what Kyle mentioned, the RF power being reduced when linked to different craft. I also know for a fact the GL658A provides my P4 much better range and signal integrity than my GL300C, no question.... just like you found. So I'm curious what happens when I link my GL300A to my P4, what will my RF meter show, versus when my GL300A is linked to my P3P, as Turbo has experienced (no difference). Others on this forum have stated the GL300A works way better than GL300C with P4 craft, which would be my expectation based on my measurements. However, at the time I did measurements I had no idea the controller might be dynamically throttled, based on the craft link. That's really strange.

If I come to Arizona soon I'll ping you to meetup. I'll bring my P4 along with my RF meter so we can compare RC's.

Are you able to use the 32ch hack with the latest firmware and Go App? I heard DJI was removing that capability.

Last edited:
????
All I know is that my C is better compared to P4 RC.

Found something else...

View attachment 65334
That looks like the Inspire version of GO, see the landing gear right below? Turn on the P4 and connect, then look for VPS again. You can't see the P4 app until connecting the P4, when using the Inspire controller. Let us know your findings.

Also, let me know if you're using the 32ch hack with this new GO app.

????
All I know is that my C is better compared to P4 RC.
No doubt, so is my Inspire A. What we don't know is if the C is better than the A when linked to a P4, that's the question we're both curious about. I think no matter what the result, anyone that has P4 would like an Inspire GL658 to control their craft, you and I know that. Others won't because they haven't experienced it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr