RF power measurements

I have looked at the power levels measured by KyleMaxxUAV but as he is in Canada I believe he will be running the lower CE power. Is there anyone in an FCC power zone who has used a directly connected RF power meter (ANT modded RC with SMA's) to show the higher FCC power outputted from a GL300C P4S RC.
It's in the FCC antenna specs for the RC. FCC is higher than CE, but Kyle can tell you whether his measurements are CE or FCC.

I,ve seen the specs but would like to see actual measurements from an RC as I've yet to see anybody match the figures in those specs. I've tested mine with an RF explorer and get around +11 to +13dbm in UK which is of course a CE zone, which is why I assumed Kyle was also CE as his reading were close to mine.

I,ve seen the specs but would like to see actual measurements from an RC as I've yet to see anybody match the figures in those specs. I've tested mine with an RF explorer and get around +11 to +13dbm in UK which is of course a CE zone, which is why I assumed Kyle was also CE as his reading were close to mine.
Not sure, but the antenna mods definitely work! I was getting over 5 miles out of mine with clear LOS on 2.4Ghz on FCC with amps on just the original smaller Itlite antenna.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I have been playing with the various force FCC mods/hacks but have yet to measure any change in output power when measured with an RF Explorer. This is why I am looking for someone who has measured the FCC power from a GL300C to use as a comparison.

I have been playing with the various force FCC mods/hacks but have yet to measure any change in output power when measured with an RF Explorer. This is why I am looking for someone who has measured the FCC power from a GL300C to use as a comparison.
No RF measurements, but stock would crap out at 1.5 miles, while the mod was solid out to beyond the battery range: over 30,000 feet! :cool:

Is that with the antenna mod or FCC mod ?
I don't know what distinction you are making. The mod is made to the RC, which is both FCC and CE compliant before the mod. I am under FCC, so, based upon the location of the RC, I start with the FCC power outputs. Not sure what distance the mod would produce in a CE area, but a substantial improvement is certain, and there are ways to circumvent CE and get FCC power even without the mod. You will need to research that on your own.

From your reply I now understand that you are using a modded RC with SMA's for connection to external panel antennas or similar. I have the same/similar mod on my RC and hence connect to the lefthand SMA to measure the actual power output on the RC . I have experimented with various methods of circumventing the CE to get the higher FCC that you mention but never seen any increase in actual power from the RC. It may be that the RC is more intelligent than we think and actually varies/increases power out as needed during flight with the maximums allowed based on either CE or FCC zone. This would also account as to why although I see no power increase when testing others have reported better connections at range leading to longer distance flights when using the various hacks.

From your reply I now understand that you are using a modded RC with SMA's for connection to external panel antennas or similar. I have the same/similar mod on my RC and hence connect to the lefthand SMA to measure the actual power output on the RC . I have experimented with various methods of circumventing the CE to get the higher FCC that you mention but never seen any increase in actual power from the RC. It may be that the RC is more intelligent than we think and actually varies/increases power out as needed during flight with the maximums allowed based on either CE or FCC zone. This would also account as to why although I see no power increase when testing others have reported better connections at range leading to longer distance flights when using the various hacks.

There’s no indication of dynamic power adjustment in any of the FCC acceptance testing data.

That is the main reason I asked if anyone in an FCC zone had actually measured the power out. I've seen the post my KyleMaxxUAV but as he is based in Canada think it may again be CE power he measured.

The higher FCC power output is solely based upon GPS from the aircraft, and only by modifying the appropriate aircraft FW parameters to bypass that GPS input, can it be circumvented when in a CE area.

I have since found another video again showing the output of the GL300 P4S controller being around 12dbm (same as I get) but this time the guy was in Oregon so will def be FCC power. My only conclusion from this is that the controllers must default to the lower CE power until they connect to the craft then set the power according to connected craft and GPS location. This would also account as to why in the tests done by KyleMaxxUAV the GL658 inspire controller gave less output when bound to a P4. Maybe someone with a power meter in the U.S (FCC) can see if the power does indeed alter when the craft is connected with a valid GPS lock.

I have since found another video again showing the output of the GL300 P4S controller being around 12dbm (same as I get) but this time the guy was in Oregon so will def be FCC power. My only conclusion from this is that the controllers must default to the lower CE power until they connect to the craft then set the power according to connected craft and GPS location. This would also account as to why in the tests done by KyleMaxxUAV the GL658 inspire controller gave less output when bound to a P4. Maybe someone with a power meter in the U.S (FCC) can see if the power does indeed alter when the craft is connected with a valid GPS lock.
Defaulting to CE until conected to the aircraft GPS would make sense, since the GL300 P4S RC has no internal GPS, while the GL658 controller does. The aircraft FW parameters can also set the RC power output, which is why binding a GL658 to a P4 would reduce power outputs. Do you have a link to Kyle's tests?

They are on page 3 of this thread
Thanks. This is an ancient thread. Anyone have current first hand results for the P4A which is essentially the P4P with 2.4GHz only? The GL300C that comes with it is apparently not backwards compatible, and previous GL300A RC's apparently won't bind to it. I have several already modded GL300A controllers used for the P4 and P3P that I would like to use instead, without modding the GL300C that comes with the P4A to accept SMA connectors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl