Return to home warning

Reaction score
I have flown in the same area since about 2016 with my Phantom 3 Pro I recently purchased a Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 and when I go to the same area I get that warning in the left top corner of the screen also the lights on the Drone flash green and red. Back in the days what are used to be able to call the tower I request permission to fly I would always get permission from the tower. I'm normally only flying about 200 ft. And I'm flying for recreational. Now I have continued to fly and I not had any problems with the aircraft functions perfectly. But green and red flashing lights and that warning in the top left corner makes me just a bit nervous

Attachments

• 20200726_153612.jpg
    20200726_153612.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 397
Looks like your new drone has the “Fly Safe” updated. I never update mine for that reason. Check “ B4UFLY” app to see where it’s clear to fly around that area. Good luck, stay safe.

Yip get this , the Joy's of updates and I have another prompt again to update flysafe or ignore,,piss me off always coming up ,I do it soon cause it annoys me?
It's been recently updated and wants another one,,what next,,
Depending where you fly just check your RTH height and obstacles in the area and adjust accordingly
Good luck

Those warnings may be a pain in the butt, but if you don't update your Flysafe data you can experience your drone dropping during flight if you happen to fly into a restricted area.
I prefer B4UFLY to update. Only takes a few seconds when you arrive at your flying location. Or Before. Don't trust the FS database, seems way off and only adds, never subtracts zones. ?

I prefer B4UFLY to update. Only takes a few seconds when you arrive at your flying location. Or Before. Don't trust the FS database, seems way off and only adds, never subtracts zones. ?
You are 100% on the added location, but that is due to the increasing amount of drones being used (Hobbyist & Part 107). As there are more and more people flying, there are more and more request from infrastructure (Power Plants/****'s/bridges/Water plants/Jail's and host of other locations) that are applying for restrictive status also. Ten years ago you could fly in a national park in the US, but not now. From a liability point, if something happens where your drones goes down in restrictive airspace you will be held accountable for not having your system up to date.

I think I just saw a report on German tourist that crashed his drone in a national park, to sum it up he was fined and they kept the SD card.

Once it gets added it won't go away unless the site is downgraded or deactivated. It could be a military base, prison, or something as simple as infrastructure like a dam, power substation, etc. The recent trend is for states to start adding infrastructure sites to the database; it actually works in your favor. If you aircraft plows into an electrical substation and causes an outage, even unintentional, you are into some big money to rectify it. Doesn't matter if you are commercial or recreational. Not updating the files on your system is just another nail in your coffin; especially if you fly both sides of the fence.

Reactions: Cliff 2020
All the updates are already in B4UFLY. Gives ME the choice, not my drone. To each his own. Updates are the easy way, not the best for me. IMHO
Enjoy, fly safe.

Remember, fly safe updates are Not mandatory, you are given the choice to ignore. It still will not let me fly in designated zones. Forced landing. B4UFLY, I can see it visually on a map, flysafe doesn’t. Good luck.

Last edited:
All the updates are already in B4UFLY. Gives ME the choice, not my drone. To each his own. Updates are the easy way, not the best for me. IMHO
Enjoy, fly safe.

Remember, fly safe updates are Not mandatory, you are given the choice to ignore. It still will not let me fly in designated zones. Forced landing. B4UFLY, I can see it visually on a map, flysafe doesn’t. Good luck.

Honestly, it's a DJI thing and I don't do DJI unless absolutely necessary. Most, if not all lately, of my jobs have been flown with the FireFly 6 which doesn't rely on that nonsense. I'm government so I am able to ignore the ones that I encounter in the performance of my job. The no-fly zones I would honor are not close to where I fly so for me, it is a non-issue. If I did fly a DJI UAS then I would have to keep their NFZ info current because I am a commercial operator; a liability issue...one of the reasons that we set the Inspire aside
My information comes from the FAA UAS Facilities Map. If it is not listed there then it doesn't exist to me.

As usual you guys are spot on and 100% correct. Today I took the drum somewhere else in another area, it was weird I took off and it said maximum altitude reached and that was about ten feet off the ground then all of a sudden it changed the app indicator went from yellow to Green. I know LAX is airspace started at 1200 ft and did not go to the surface. So the Drone did not have any green and red lights they're all green.

Only hope and pray that no limit drones comes up with something for the Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 now I'm sorry I just didn't buy a Phantom 4 Pro

Thanks guys for all your help in the knowledge that you do possess thanks for sharing

Reactions: Capt KO
Yes I have a Phantom 4Pro and never had any issues about restrictions. Bought in 2017 and never updated it. LOL
Has anybody had or heard this fall down because of not updating? I think this is unreal.

Yes I have a Phantom 4Pro and never had any issues about restrictions. Bought in 2017 and never updated it. LOL
Has anybody had or heard this fall down because of not updating? I think this is unreal.
Not a fall down, but what could happen if you fly into restrictive airspace is that your drone could go into a force landing mode.

Reactions: Capt KO
I have a couple of Phantom 2's that u have to use a gopro to film anything, but the nice thing is that I can fly them anywhere and do not have to worry about restricted air space and the like, My phantom 4 will not take off close to the local airport, but the P2 I could take to the middle of the runway and take off, which would be stupid thing to do. Old tech definitely has it's advantages.

I have flown in the same area since about 2016 with my Phantom 3 Pro I recently purchased a Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 and when I go to the same area I get that warning in the left top corner of the screen also the lights on the Drone flash green and red. Back in the days what are used to be able to call the tower I request permission to fly I would always get permission from the tower. I'm normally only flying about 200 ft. And I'm flying for recreational. Now I have continued to fly and I not had any problems with the aircraft functions perfectly. But green and red flashing lights and that warning in the top left corner makes me just a bit nervous
I'm kinda what ya call an "old codger" and I guess my gray matter's gotten a little spongy. I had no idea I could call an airport control tower and get permission to fly my drone up and down their runways and stuff. Sounds like a hoot. Do they put planes in a holding pattern till I'm done or is it every man for himself? Do the tower guys flip a switch that keeps only my drone from falling outta the sky? Finally, when I'm out there standing on 47L wanting permission to take off, how in the heck do I get the tower's hotline phone number to call? Forgive my ignorance. Meds ain't kicked in yet...

I'm kinda what ya call an "old codger" and I guess my gray matter's gotten a little spongy. I had no idea I could call an airport control tower and get permission to fly my drone up and down their runways and stuff. Sounds like a hoot. Do they put planes in a holding pattern till I'm done or is it every man for himself? Do the tower guys flip a switch that keeps only my drone from falling outta the sky? Finally, when I'm out there standing on 47L wanting permission to take aaoff, how in the heck do I get the tower's hotline phone number to call? Forgive my ignorance. Meds ain't kicked in yet...
What are you talking about?

Yes I completely understand him. I think that it's impossible to know the tower phone number foe every place you might be and what would they do if you inform them about your attempts to fly.

What are you talking about?
Cliff2020 says he calls the airport tower and they give him permission to fly around the airport. Seems a tad dangerous to me but they're the experts. Just wondered how to get that hotline to the tower phone number in case I ever want to "buzz the tower", so to speak

Cliff2020 says he calls the airport tower and they give him permission to fly around the airport. Seems a tad dangerous to me but they're the experts. Just wondered how to get that hotline to the tower phone number in case I ever want to "buzz the tower", so to speak
Maybe I missed a post or something? I didn’t see Cliff2020 talk about flying up and down runways or getting planes put into a holding pattern. Or any such seemingly exaggerated assertions. Again if I missed a post I apologize. But as I’m sure you know it used to be SOP to call a tower to notify (not actually permission) to fly within certain limits of the airfield or airport. Not just for “up and down a runway” nor to have manned air traffic put in a holding pattern. This was the case before LAANC - which I’m pretty sure you’d be aware of. So, again, I’m not sure if I missed a comment indicating that Cliff is flying up and down runways.

Reactions: R Martin
No I'm not chasing any airplanes running around on the Runaway. Again I was just wondering why I'm getting their return to home restricted airspace. I'm also not calling up the control tower. What I said was I used to in the past when it was appropriate I would call for authorization and it was given to me. But now I go to fly in the same spot with the Phantom 4 Pro. And I get the current return the Home Route will pass through a no-fly zone pay attention to aircraft position to avoid return the home failure. The location I'm flying as in the park and there's a few lakes in the park I would hate to have it suddenly decide to land in the lake. I would definitely call that having a bad day

No I'm not chasing any airplanes running around on the Runaway. Again I was just wondering why I'm getting their return to home restricted airspace. I'm also not calling up the control tower. What I said was I used to in the past when it was appropriate I would call for authorization and it was given to me. But now I go to fly in the same spot with the Phantom 4 Pro. And I get the current return the Home Route will pass through a no-fly zone pay attention to aircraft position to avoid return the home failure. The location I'm flying as in the park and there's a few lakes in the park I would hate to have it suddenly decide to land in the lake. I would definitely call that having a bad day
Thanks. That’s what I suspected. Which is why I was wondering why it was being implied that you were flying up and down runways etc. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers