Restricted!

What if we were a hundred miles out in the desert, or high up in the mountains on a commercial shoot where no cellular coverage exists?

I bet 99% of the pilots here NEVER boot up their drone and connect to the go app at home as routine before heading out to fly. That's a hassle, and ridiculous IMO.

Filming professionally, I understand this may be a wise thing to do,

I'm going to leave you arguing with yourself for now - it's fun to watch :)

It's certainly not once, as you stated it's "part of your routine", as others have also mentioned. There are apparently login requirements when new app software is released, which occurs all the time IMO. I'm still trying to get clarity exactly when this login requirement occurs because I haven't experienced this, as I never update anything in apps or firmware. Others are OK logging in, but I'm not, hence I don't update for that reason, but that's just me. I like what I have with my no-limits P4P craft, it's absolutely incredible.

In my case it has been just once on each of the iOS devices that I use to fly. I’ve never had to log in again even across several app updates.

In my case it has been just once on each of the iOS devices that I use to fly. I’ve never had to log in again even across several app updates.
OK, that's good to know, thanks. That seems more reasonable. Others have implied they login often as routine, so maybe I have the wrong impression. I'm investigating with ElGuapo to see what might have caused this. I haven't heard back yet if he's got auto update disabled or not.

Reactions: sar104 and WWK888
Requiring login isn't intelligent. I go to the Yukon Territory in Canada and am 3 hours drive from the nearest cell signal. I couldn't fly at all over my mining claims if I was required to log in just to be able to use my property -p4. There are places where no signal is available. Being forced to log in is just stupid.

Reactions: Droneboondocker
Requiring login isn't intelligent. I go to the Yukon Territory in Canada and am 3 hours drive from the nearest cell signal. I couldn't fly at all over my mining claims if I was required to log in just to be able to use my property -p4. There are places where no signal is available. Being forced to log in is just stupid.
But t doesn't work that way.
People fly all the time with no internet connection all over the world.
Just check to confirm that everything's working before you go to a remote area and you'll fly just fine.

But t doesn't work that way.
People fly all the time with no internet connection all over the world.
Just check to confirm that everything's working before you go to a remote area and you'll fly just fine.

It sounds so simple when you say it like that :)

Five minutes planning can save hours of grief

knowing that you are going to be flying in an area that's 'off grid' but not checking your gear out before you set off (downloading map updates and any local flight restrictions etc) doesn't sound too smart to me - but, what do I know, I've only been doing this stuff for thirty years :) :)

knowing that you are going to be flying in an area that's 'off grid' but not checking your gear out before you set off (downloading map updates and any local flight restrictions etc) doesn't sound too smart to me - but, what do I know, I've only been doing this stuff for thirty years :) :)
Yes this makes sense reading it. However, knowing if your planned flight area doesn't have cell coverage isn't always easy. Plus you have to remember to check, every time you fly. DJI really needs to rethink this. I don't think they realize the problems this causes, unintentionally.

It's quite likely not a real restriction and not the "not logged in issue" - but instead due to a mismatch between a later DJI Go app version and an earlier aircraft firmware. If so then you will find that you can just ignore it and it does not actually restrict the aircraft during flight.

I was on 4.1.18 (iOS) and latest firmware for P4P, but still encountered such nonsense.

Yes this makes sense reading it. However, knowing if your planned flight area doesn't have cell coverage isn't always easy. Plus you have to remember to check, every time you fly. DJI really needs to rethink this. I don't think they realize the problems this causes, unintentionally.

jeez, you make it sound like rocket science. DJI really don't need to 'rethink' anything

If there's any doubt - check before you go - is that easy enough?

Check your flight plan, check for any restrictions, check your equipment is fully charged and ready to go - there is absolutely no excuse for anybody going flying not tp make these simple, basic checks - it shouldn';t be about remembering, it should be set into your mind - if you can't remember stuff, right a pre-flight checklist - like 'real' pilots do :D

We fly very often in areas with little to no connectivity. Part of our "Pre" mission checklist is to check the equipment so that when we arrive "on-scene" we aren't met with a surprise. This not only checks for "log in" issues but also hardware and software issues. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes and we do this on at least a half dozen aircraft, and some have dual transmitters and dual displays. It is time well spent and just part of what you've gotta do.

Reactions: andy_k
So what did you do to remove the restrictions?

First, I summoned the bird back to home point as its not going beyond 50m. After landing, I restarted the DJI GO4 app, maybe even powered on and off the remote control (at that point, I was a few floors higher than P4P, so it was left powered on). Before taking off again, I checked settings to make sure all is normal (alt 500m, hor. distance 8000m).

BTW, the app was used to fly the same P4P with an older firmware version. I don't know why a firmware upgrade would put in place those restrictions.

Last edited:
This is why I have not upgraded firmware, I do not want to have to worry about this. Logging in would be a huge problem for me as the tablet I use to fly does not have a data plan on it and I do not have a smart phone to use as a hotspot.

It sounds like ElGuapo should take some advice from John Locke and keep an older version of firmware on his bird.

This is why I have not upgraded firmware, I do not want to have to worry about this. Logging in would be a huge problem for me as the tablet I use to fly does not have a data plan on it and I do not have a smart phone to use as a hotspot.

It sounds like ElGuapo should take some advice from John Locke and keep an older version of firmware on his bird.
I found out ElGuapo had auto update enabled on his iPadMini4. Apparently his Go4 updated and he didn't know it, which triggered the mandatory login. That's been fixed and auto update is now off. He is running older firmware 1.3.509 on the drone, that's the good news. He has been able to open the door to other freedoms after spending the day seeing what my craft can do that his could not. What's interesting is he's using a brand new Go4 app with firmware from May, and it flies fine.

I found out ElGuapo had auto update enabled on his iPadMini4. Apparently his Go4 updated and he didn't know it, which triggered the mandatory login. That's been fixed and auto update is now off. He is running older firmware 1.3.509 on the drone, that's the good news. He has been able to open the door to other freedoms after spending the day seeing what my craft can do that his could not. What's interesting is he's using a brand new Go4 app with firmware from May, and it flies fine.

so it was operator error then? Going out unprepared after updating software - this is just one of the reasons why pre-flight checks/inspections are important

so it was operator error then? Going out unprepared after updating software - this is just one of the reasons why pre-flight checks/inspections are important
Yes, you might say that. My opinion is the whole login process is unessential to DJI, and their customers. Nothing reasonable is gained. We didn't have to do that last year. Why all of a sudden is this required this year? If you don't go through all the hassle that you don't mind doing, it puts owners at risk who have spent thousands with DJI, in ElGuapo's case, over $6K in hardware. That's draconian IMO, too much over-reach. This same type of thing happened to KevMo last week, in a rural area in Utah with no cell coverage. It's not uncommon, and it's DJI's fault of implementing such unreasonable login requirements. It's likely the work of Brendan Shulman, Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI. Everyone can thank him next time you have this problem, miles from cell service.

upload_2017-12-7_16-39-28.png

This is exactly why I never change my software/firmware. It eliminates this possibility of what lurks in new releases. DJI has trained me to not trust them, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
Yes, you might say that. My opinion is the whole login process is unessential to DJI, and their customers. Nothing reasonable is gained. We didn't have to do that last year. Why all of a sudden is this required this year? If you don't go through all the hassle that you don't mind doing, it puts owners at risk who have spent thousands with DJI, in ElGuapo's case, over $6K in hardware. That's draconian IMO, too much over-reach. This same type of thing happened to KevMo last week, in a rural area in Utah with no cell coverage. It's not uncommon, and it's DJI's fault of implementing such unreasonable login requirements. It's likely the work of Brendan Shulman, Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI. Everyone can thank him next time you have this problem, miles from cell service.

View attachment 91951

This is exactly why I never change my software/firmware. It eliminates this possibility of what lurks in new releases. DJI has trained me to not trust them, I'm sorry to say.

Has there been any reasonable explanation for why the login is required? If I've read one then I've already forgotten what it said.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94