Resetting HOME Location & RTH in Naza or Vision mode

Re: Resetting your HOME Location in Naza or Vision mode.

pault said:
Thanks for the info ben :)
This is good to know as I have sometimes thought what would happen if you got behind a tall tree and a return to home was initiated (actually I know what would happen and it would not be nice !)
Just ignore the other guy, he is being deliberately obtuse and I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates your efforts on behalf of us all (well, most of us ;)).

+1

AnselA said:
Pull_Up said:
AnselA said:
I am still confused about the altitude refence level. If I (re)set home location at 30 ft above the ground, will RTH flight happen at 60 ft or 90 ft above the ground?

90 ft would be nice if you are surrounded by 60 ft tall trees.

If, unlike me, you've got the weather to try it, why not give it a go? It's a relatively low risk test to do...

I have -17 C ...

Brrr! I'm a bit warmer, but wetter. Forecast for Sunday is better so I might get out and do it myself, hopefully.

Ok, so to clear this up some more, what would happen in this scenario.

Take off after getting home lock etc, fly 40m high and 40m forward of the original home point, and reset the home point there. Fly around for a little at the same altitude (40m) Then initiate RTH, will the phantom climb an extra 20m to 60m total altitude then fly to the home point and descend given the home point is set at 40m AGL? Or will it stay at 40m, fly to the home point and then descend (until it senses its touched down then shuts off the motors)?

Iceman said:
Handy post great to know wonder if it does the same for the phantom v1.1.1 & phantom 2 as well ??? As I have all 3 phantoms

Yes it works the same on all three.

Yes, the thread is titled to suggest RE-setting the Home location.

However, about a closely related first phase of that operation... the Initial Home:
Someone appears to bring up a point about the INITIAL setting of a flight's Home
location, that there is apparently a SIGNIFICANT risk associated with taking off
WITHOUT the INITIAL Home location set properly, and then allowing RTH to try to
land the P2V.

Instead of complaining that dropping out of the air does not happen
if the initial Home position IS set at ground level, perhaps somebody can
check with the Home NOT set at takeoff, and satellites are acquired in flight,
so presumably the initial Home location is up in the air, and trigger RTH
and see what happens. IF the P2V does not land properly under RTH
control, that is a serious defect, and might explain some "fell out of the
sky" stories. Note, this Initial Home, established in the air, might need to
be over a spot that is at an elevation LOWER than the Takeoff point.

If it does land properly, even at a location where the ground is significantly
lower than the takeoff point, after taking off before aquiring 6 satellites,
quickly climbing to 30 meters, holding there until the GPS mode is
fully established, and presumably an initial Home position is established,
will the minimum RTH altitude be at 20 m over the takeoff point, or
at 50 meters, 20 m over the altitude of the P2V when the Home was
established?

I suggest that this combination of events happens only very rarely,
and that there might possibly be a bug in the firmware for this rare case.

If one properly gets GPS lock before takeoff, so a home location and
altitude are established, then one flies up to 40 m, over a 30 m hill,
resets home there, and continues flying back near the original takeoff
location, perhaps at 18 meters AGL, and triggers RTH, what happens?

Will the P2V rise just 2 meters and fly right into the side of the 30 m hill,
or, will it climb to 40 plus 20 equals 60 meters, and RTH properly
on the hilltop?

If it crashes into the hill, is this an unintentional bug, or a design feature?

garygid said:
If one properly gets GPS lock before takeoff, so a home location and
altitude are established, then one flies up to 40 m, over a 30 m hill,
resets home there, and continues flying back near the original takeoff
location, perhaps at 18 meters AGL, and triggers RTH, what happens?

Will the P2V rise just 2 meters and fly right into the side of the 30 m hill,
or, will it climb to 40 plus 20 equals 60 meters, and RTH properly
on the hilltop?

If it crashes into the hill, is this an unintentional bug, or a design feature?

The Phantom uses 66 feet as it's minimum altitude when entering fail safe. Home position does not determine what the Phantom sees as being ground level so in the event of resetting home position over a cliff somewhere the. Flying more than 66 feet below it the Phantom could very well end up flying into the cliff if RTH is enabled with the Phantom far below that home point. Its simple enough to test tho with out risk. Find an area that has significant elevation differences. Check the altimeter of the Phantom 2 Vision and see its ground altitude changes while it flys over this different terrain. Also another thing you can observe is when you're hovering over the new location you want to mark as home. See if the altitude resets itself to 0 when you mark the new home point, I don't believe it does but it's worth taking another look at to be sure.

I admit, the video looks compelling, but the sudden decent COULD have been
caused by some other error, battery or wiring defect, or some other unknown factor.

In my mind, it does warrent some careful experiments, including an external
video of the landing process. Thanks for letting us know about the incident.
Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
Ben,
Are you saying that the problem presumably shown in the video was a well known
problem with the original Phantom, and that you are positive that no such bug exists
in the P2 or the P2V. If so, how do you know, please?
Thanks, Gary

Nope not saying that it's a "well known" problem. Just that it's irrelevant to this thread which is specifically pertaining to Resetting the home position after you have taken off with a home lock already set on a Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision. The video link shown has nothing to do with resetting home position. Also it's on the original Phantom platform which uses a different controller and firmware. If that problem existed on that particular Phantom on whatever firmware it's running it's still not entirely relevant to the Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 vision which uses a different version of the Naza controller than the original and it's own separate firmware.

One last thing. My understanding is that if you were to take off without having a home lock established before hand that no home position will be marked at all. So when you enter fail safe the Phantom will land from its current position versus using any Home position.

Ben,
(from your first post of the thread)...
Is the ability to enter the RTH function from the lowest position of the S1 switch a programmable setting, or is this only enabled in NAZA mode?

Thank you sir!

Byroman said:
Ben,
(from your first post of the thread)...
Is the ability to enter the RTH function from the lowest position of the S1 switch a programmable setting, or is this only enabled in NAZA mode?

Thank you sir!

Oops I read this question late and misunderstood so editing now. Turning the bottom position of the S1 switch to enter Fail Safe is only available when you switch to Naza mode and then going into advanced option to change the bottom position to either Atti manual or fail safe. Please note that the middle position is always going to be Atti and top position will always be GPS.

Now if only DJI would answer key questions like these like the folks from Rotorpixel are doing wouldn't we advance the sport quickly.

Ben
Thanks for the thread. I did this yesterday, just trying it while practicing POI flying. It works. The Phantom will not shut down until all vertical flight stops. In fact I reset the HL several times during the flights to simplify taking pictures of objects at 60ft. up.

Again thanks for the thread.

Great post thanks for the info ;)

Re: STICKY: Resetting HOME Location & RTH in Naza or Vision

http://s6.postimg.org/cccz8b5hd/record_ ... selock.jpg

record_home_courselock.jpg

Already posted an item about this some time ago.
Before V2.00, the new Home position would include the altitude.
Since V2.00, the new Home position still uses the altitude of the initial Home point.
Not great if you're in a not-flat area.

Scenario of what goes wrong:
- Start in a valley. I call this altitude 0.
- Fly to a nearby hilltop of say 50 meter altitude.
- Set new Home position.
Now 2 things can go terribly wrong:
1. Fly back to the valley and switch off the controller. P2V will climb to 20 meters, turn towards the hill and fly straight into the hillside.
2. Fly to 80 m altitude and switch off the controller. P2V will fly to the hilltop position, then crash into the hilltop with a vertical speed of about 3 m/s.

Confirmed by DJI support. Last answer:
We'll reflect your feedback to our R&D and Marketting and return to you with their feedback. But probably this will remains the same currently.

grinsven said:
Already posted an item about this some time ago.
Before V2.00, the new Home position would include the altitude.
Since V2.00, the new Home position still uses the altitude of the initial Home point.
Not great if you're in a not-flat area.

Scenario of what goes wrong:
- Start in a valley. I call this altitude 0.
- Fly to a nearby hilltop of say 50 meter altitude.
- Set new Home position.
Now 2 things can go terribly wrong:
1. Fly back to the valley and switch off the controller. P2V will climb to 20 meters, turn towards the hill and fly straight into the hillside.
2. Fly to 80 m altitude and switch off the controller. P2V will fly to the hilltop position, then crash into the hilltop with a vertical speed of about 3 m/s.

Confirmed by DJI support. Last answer:
We'll reflect your feedback to our R&D and Marketting and return to you with their feedback. But probably this will remains the same currently.

I am not so sure resetting the home point ever recoded the altitude, o my the position. Don't forget that there is an option 3 to your scenario where you set home to a much higher location. If your Phantom is already at a height over 20m or 66 feet your Phantom will stay at that height and fly safely to the newely set home location provided it is already flying high enough,

BenDronePilot said:
I am not so sure resetting the home point ever recoded the altitude, o my the position. Don't forget that there is an option 3 to your scenario where you set home to a much higher location. If your Phantom is already at a height over 20m or 66 feet your Phantom will stay at that height and fly safely to the newely set home location provided it is already flying high enough,

I am 100% sure it worked that way. In the area where I usually fly, the largest trees are about 40 meters high. I used to first climb to 30 meters, then set a new home point. That way, going home would always first climb to a safe 50 m. Since V2.00 this trick no longer worked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl