Resetting HOME Location & RTH in Naza or Vision mode

Re: STICKY: Resetting HOME Location & RTH in Naza or Vision

grinsven said:
BenDronePilot said:
I am not so sure resetting the home point ever recoded the altitude, o my the position. Don't forget that there is an option 3 to your scenario where you set home to a much higher location. If your Phantom is already at a height over 20m or 66 feet your Phantom will stay at that height and fly safely to the newely set home location provided it is already flying high enough,

I am 100% sure it worked that way. In the area where I usually fly, the largest trees are about 40 meters high. I used to first climb to 30 meters, then set a new home point. That way, going home would always first climb to a safe 50 m. Since V2.00 this trick no longer worked.

You can downgrade your firmware to the prior version and restest to confirm. Tho if you've already done that prior I'm sure it will work that way again.

BenDronePilot said:
In Summary: You can reset your Home position in either flight mode, Phantom 2 Vision or Naza mode. And it can be reset in flight at any altitude. It also does not matter if the new Home point you mark is either a lower or higher altitude than the altitude of your original take off, it will still function properly. Knowing about the ability to reset your home location can be useful for those of you flying your Phantom's from a moving boat. You can occasionally reset your home position as necessary. Also handy if you're walking around your neighborhood or a beach boardwalk for a great distance, Resetting your home position on occasion will also be useful there as well should you somehow end up in a fail safe.

Great post, thanks. Something I have been wondering about, if you take off from a hill 100 meters high, fly down hill 90 meters of elevation, activate return home, does the Vision ascend 20 meters from it's present position and fly into the side of the hill on it's way home?

Outtahere100 said:
BenDronePilot said:
In Summary: You can reset your Home position in either flight mode, Phantom 2 Vision or Naza mode. And it can be reset in flight at any altitude. It also does not matter if the new Home point you mark is either a lower or higher altitude than the altitude of your original take off, it will still function properly. Knowing about the ability to reset your home location can be useful for those of you flying your Phantom's from a moving boat. You can occasionally reset your home position as necessary. Also handy if you're walking around your neighborhood or a beach boardwalk for a great distance, Resetting your home position on occasion will also be useful there as well should you somehow end up in a fail safe.

Great post, thanks. Something I have been wondering about, if you take off from a hill 100 meters high, fly down hill 90 meters of elevation, activate return home, does the Vision ascend 20 meters from it's present position and fly into the side of the hill on it's way home?

From what I recall it will ascend to 20 meters above ground level before returning home. If you were in a cliff and the altitude showed 0 and becomes negative is you fly down on that case the Phantom will fly high enough to clear the cliff if fail safe became activated at a lower altitude.

When demonstrating resting home point at different altitudes I was just trying to make a point to a confused few that the Phantom will not shut off its motors mid air but only when its detected it has touched ground and no longer moving down.

I am confused.

Does "home location" mean a place in 2D world (= latitude, longitude)? And "home point" mean a place in 3D world (= latitude, longitude, altitude)?

BenDronePilot said:
From what I recall it will ascend to 20 meters above ground level before returning home. If you were in a cliff and the altitude showed 0 and becomes negative is you fly down on that case the Phantom will fly high enough to clear the cliff if fail safe became activated at a lower altitude.

This point is correct. I just tested this tonight.

Dropped down about 200' off the top of a hill. Initiated RTH. The Phantom climbed straight up to 60' above the initial homepoint and then headed for home.

panhygrous pantler said:
BenDronePilot said:
From what I recall it will ascend to 20 meters above ground level before returning home. If you were on a cliff and the altitude showed 0 and becomes negative if you fly down, in that case the Phantom will fly high enough to clear the cliff if fail safe became activated at a lower altitude.

This point is correct. I just tested this tonight.

Dropped down about 200' off the top of a hill. Initiated RTH. The Phantom climbed straight up to 60' above the initial homepoint and then headed for home.

Cool, good confirmation :cool:

AnselA said:
I am confused.

Does "home location" mean a place in 2D world (= latitude, longitude)? And "home point" mean a place in 3D world (= latitude, longitude, altitude)?

It notes all 3

I have tested this just last week with 3.04 firmware. I set a new home position 100ft away and 100ft high. I flew to me, initiated RTH and the model climbed to 160ft and went to the new home location.

I will say that it's a bit tricky to set the point, the switch flipping needs to be just right and it's helpful to be able to see the status lights flicker.

I tested this specifically to help a guy flying in a golf course around very high trees. He walked under a tree, lost signal, triggered RTH, model flew into a tree. Using this method you could set a home location high above the fairway. If the model then triggers RTH, it would climb above all trees, fly over the clear area and land in the fairway, or descend until he could regain control.

Opwan said:
I don't understand why issues as important as these aren't covered in the manuel, with $1300.00 invested in my machine I would expect a little better instructions on what the equipment is capable of. This makes no sense to me that some of these very important issues are left up to interpretation of the end user. Don't get me wrong I love the machine but hate the support. If one of you experts on here would write a book on this think you would be a millionaire. Hell, I'd give $100 for one!

I agree about the quality of DJI's documentation. But... the User Manual was freely available on the web, I studied it before I decided to buy. "Promisies" about the support fooled me.

Opwan said:
So let me get this clear, if you reset your home position once you climb to 100ft altitude, RTH is initiated, the Phantom Vision will climb to 160ft and come back home?

It works like this for me, but I've seen posts elsewhere say it does not work on firmware 3.04.
I see no reason why it should have been disabled unless it was inadvertent oversight?
In any case I'm on 3.04 and tested it successfully just the other day.

As above it is not that easy to be sure the reset was successful squinting at it in a bright sky.
You have to toggle 5x pretty much as fast as you can in my experience.
You can also do it by toggling S2 between course and home - which is slightly easier on the switch than going fully from top to bottom.

4wd said:
Opwan said:
So let me get this clear, if you reset your home position once you climb to 100ft altitude, RTH is initiated, the Phantom Vision will climb to 160ft and come back home?

It works like this for me, but I've seen posts elsewhere say it does not work on firmware 3.04.
I see no reason why it should have been disabled unless it was inadvertent oversight?
In any case I'm on 3.04 and tested it successfully just the other day.

As above it is not that easy to be sure the reset was successful squinting at it in a bright sky.
You have to toggle 5x pretty much as fast as you can in my experience.
You can also do it by toggling S2 between course and home - which is slightly easier on the switch than going fully from top to bottom.

You can tell also if you have the app going if it reset, especially if you are some distance away from your previous home point. The distance will reset to 0.0 as soon as you do it.

Opwan said:
I don't understand why issues as important as these aren't covered in the manuel, with $1300.00 invested in my machine I would expect a little better instructions on what the equipment is capable of. This makes no sense to me that some of these very important issues are left up to interpretation of the end user. Don't get me wrong I love the machine but hate the support. If one of you experts on here would write a book on this think you would be a millionaire. Hell, I'd give $100 for one!

The problem is that the behavior of the Phantom and it's various "features" sometimes vary from firmware version to firmware version so there would need to be constant updates on any written material to keep up and track the various firmware releases.

You mean, like a software release note? That DJI issues with most of their updates.

Sorry to bring up a question that has probably already been answered, but do you have to have the S2 switch active in assistant software for the resetting of home point, I just don't have any use for the ioc features. And just to be clear I flip the switch between middle and bottom position 5-7 times rapidly or top to bottom position 5-7 times?

It's SUPPOSED to work in Phantom mode, too (not just NAZA)... but some report it does not. Best thing you can do is try it yourself, Ben.

ProfessorStein said:
It's SUPPOSED to work in Phantom mode, too (not just NAZA)... but some report it does not. Best thing you can do is try it yourself, Ben.

Agreed, it should work in Phantom mode, usually the reason it won't is due to the speed of your toggling, you need to practice, (with the props off), to get the timing of the toggling down.

First of all, thanks for this thread holding so much valuable information!

I only had my P2V+ for a week or so but yesterday I tried resetting the home location in Phantom mode and I can confirm it worked just fine.

Speaking about home location and any differences between Phantom and Naza mode and sorry if I overlooked the answer reading through all posts but in Naza mode will the home location be saved automatically before takeoff just as in Phantom mode and will the indication of this happening be the same as in Phantom mode...that is rapidly flashing green lihgts?

Then lastly one thing I just would like to have confirmed I understood correctly. The P2V+ uses a barometric altimeter value which won't take elevated terrain into account when displaying the current altitude vs a radar altimeter which indeed will show you your actual and current altitude. Did I get this right?

Will do some testing simply by flying slowly forward over elevated terrain and doing that the altitude displayed in the app should remain the same although the actual height between the P2V+ and the terrain will shift.

Yes. Rapid green lights on the pad mean home point is locked, whether in NAZA or Phantom mode.

As for the altitude... are you talking about the difference between mean sea level and actual altitude? Pretty sure the Phantom knows altitude only, based off of the home point. So if I take off from a position that is 1,000 ft above sea level, and fly up to 100 feet, the Phantom is going to read 100 ft, rather than 1,100. If I fly straight and level over to terrain that is only 500 ft above MSL, the Phantom should still read 100 ft, in relation to the home point. And if I decended and landed in that area, while I've never tried it, I would imagine the altimeter would read -500 ft (or would "peg" at zero, depending on how the readout is coded).

When resetting your new home location, does the S1 position matter at all (GPS Atti, or Atti mode) or can the reset happen in either mode? Also, does the position of S1 apply to the reset of the Course Lock (flipping S2 between CL and OFF 5 times)?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20