Replacing P4 Gimbal/Camera Unit

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the gimbal/camera unit on a P4? These are available all over the internet, so it must be something that can be done without sending the drone into DJI.

It should be an easy project if you replace the entire camera/gimbal assembly. Here are a few videos that show how to remove the camera/gimbal assembly:

If you need a camera/gimbal assembly, you can buy one here on Amazon or directly from DJI here.

It should be an easy project if you replace the entire camera/gimbal assembly. Here are a few videos that show how to remove the camera/gimbal assembly:

If you need a camera/gimbal assembly, you can buy one here on Amazon or directly from DJI here.
Thank you. Do you know if the drone would have to be re-programed after installing the new unit?

Thank you. Do you know if the drone would have to be re-programed after installing the new unit?

My P4 gimbal had a "sensor failure" about 3 weeks ago. I disassembled everything related to the camera to check connections and try to rectify. It is simple enough that careful user replacement shouldn't be a problem. The P4 should recognize the new hardware without any other configurations. I eventually decided to have it checked out by a local electronics shop in Houston that repairs drones and mobile phones. He started swapping out sensors and components trying to find the part that was bad with no luck. I told him to just replace the entire gimbal assembly so I didn't have to worry about any other failures. My P4 is strictly for business use so reliability is priority. All in, including labor and a new gimbal, was about $525- about my limit before replacing the entire aircraft. I had my P4 back the next day and has been flawless.

...as flawless as a DJI product can be.

Hope that helps.

My camera unit was replaced due to a lens focus issue. I watched the tech do it - the only thing he did after the hardware was replaced was a firmware update. I don't believe it was a drone update, it seemed to be to bring the camera unit up to date.

I've done it, it was dirt simple for anyone with very basic electronics assembly skills. Just ribbon cables and molex connectors, and screws. Anyone can do it.

I strongly recommend getting a new assembly directly from DJI, $379. I tried eBay, had to get a refund from the scammer the first time, second shipped but didn't work (still trying to get refunded on that $200).

Finally got a new one from DJI, installed 10 minutes after delivery, flew and worked perfect.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl